Resetting a market

I've always wanted to just buy up all of an item and reset the price at a decent margin but I was never quite sure how to do it effectively. I've seen it done with Maelstrom Crystals back when they were rare which is why I think it was effective. Resetting the leather market is pretty easy but since skinners can get the leather so easily, I'm wondering if that is a bad idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless there is some scarcity of an item/resource and prices have bottomed out for some reason (start of 4.3 red gems market comes to mind) there is little you can do to truely reset a gathering market. People tend to have certain prices in their head as to what stuff costs by now and they will dislike any change in that. If you have in mind to reset the price to "normal" after prices have bottomed out by large influx of mats then you might be more succesfull, but be weary of a large player in the market dumping his stock before Mists.

The trouble is you have to rely on hope that nobody is a brainless zombie slave to their auctioneer addons and just upload again at whatever their previous scan-price was.

This happened all the time on my server. No matter what you do, some dolt will re-upload their stacks at whatever their long-outdated scans suggested... and then new-scans will take in that information.

The key to resetting a market is making sure you don't invest too much into it at the hope of turning a profit. I usually wait for other people to reset markets now and just undercut them immediately.

At this point in the game it is very hard to reset any market. Most people have established themselves and have a pretty strong hold on their piece of what ever market they are in. It gets even harder if you have multiple people in the same market sharing the control, cuz then you have to be able to do battle with all of them, and most of the time they will out last either your patience or your funds.

I got a decent return controlling the leather market. I bought up all Savage Leather, Heavy Savage Leather, and Pristine Hides and then priced things so that buying the Heavy Savage in stacks of 10 or 20 was better than buying a Pristine Hide, and then lower stacks of Leather were priced well for those just needing the leather. Pristine Hides were marked up so the lazy people who just wanted the Hide then and there paid for that laziness.

I had to persuade a few other players to do the same as they hadn't re-scan'd the AH in a long time and just kept throwing the same stuff up there for the same price they had the last few months. When I saw more and more people posting leather, I stopped the whole thing and let it do what it wanted. I still have a decent stock left but I made a high profit that I can hold onto the rest for Mists. Leather definitely wasn't the best market to try to reset but it worked for a while. It boosted the leg enchants prices which also boosted the volatiles. I didn't get much into those markets because it was just too much to try to control.

Fun experience, wouldn't try it again, lol.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If your on a high population server, trying to set the market on a common item is a very big gamble. I have only had very limited success on items such as Hypnotic dust, savage leather, inferno ruby, volatiles and a few other trade style items. I have spent a few grand buying up items, only to run to my mail box to collect them and run back to the AH, to find numerous more posted at 1/3 price I have paid for the previous lot.

I have had better success on rarer crafted items where there is less quantity and people often post them for 48hrs and dont check often. At this stage in the expansion where people are trying to make money before MOP, trying to control a common trade good is a suckers game.

Deleted
    The best time to do this is after a realm maintence as auctions still expire in the maintence but none can be posted.

Deleted
    Its nearly impossible to do.

One player tried to do it last week on meta gems market. He's playing all day long on 2 accounts, instantly undercutting competition, so its impossible to undercut him unless other players also play all day long. At the beginning he was buying cheaper gems from competitors, but then gave up on it.

He failed. Miserably. As a result, nobody other than him can sell gems, but prices on meta gems dropped from around 200g per gem to below 100g. All because he made me angry, so I torpedoed prices and he didn't have enough money to buy out my huge stash of gems. So now he is the only one that can sell gems because he's still playing all day long, but he isn't making any profit from it. Buyers are the only winning party in such price wars, which is cool with me because I'm not greedy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leg Armor Kits are doable. I do it almost weekly on my server. They get as low as 450 on my server (about cost), and I buy em all out and resell them at 900 or so. I've never seen more than 6-10 at a time.