Thread: Stat squish?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Players couldn't cope with the new talents and a stats squish. The forums will be full of "WTF Blizz nerf x again". They would probably bring it in 1/2 way through or maybe the next expansion.

  2. #22
    Until our dps is measured in MegaFonzies, I shall not be sated.

  3. #23
    Bloodsail Admiral ImpTaimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    There is no location, only Zuul
    Posts
    1,222
    The point of the item squish increase performance in the game and decrease the item disparity while leveling.

    Vanilla to TBC was an ok jump. TBC to WotLK was huge. WotlK to Cata was fucking tremendous, and MoP will be just as ridiculous.

    Not to mention item budgets don't even make sense anymore.

    I'm glad with Diablo 3 they opted for a system where the higher the rarity of the item, the more bonus stats it has. That's all. You could find a white-quality shield with higher armor and block rating than a magic or rare, or even legendary. It just made things a little more interesting. Granted with each difficulty level, new suffix/prefixes are unlocked that attempt to make it so white items are never considered, which is perfectly acceptable.

    As usual, Ghostcrawler opts for the easier way out. Now we have to deal with more dead/trivialized content (that people are gonna bitch about when they "rehash" it) and more hardware complaints. "My computer can't run raids in MoP" etc.

    Seriously, why don't they just opt for a system that allows items to scale, instead of just recreating items. This way, when you get the heroic version of an item, it's the same item, just with a special "enchant" on it that boosts its stats to the appropriate ilvl.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

  4. #24
    Mechagnome PHOENIXZERO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan probably.
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    The point of the item squish increase performance in the game and decrease the item disparity while leveling.

    Vanilla to TBC was an ok jump. TBC to WotLK was huge. WotlK to Cata was fucking tremendous, and MoP will be just as ridiculous.

    Not to mention item budgets don't even make sense anymore.

    I'm glad with Diablo 3 they opted for a system where the higher the rarity of the item, the more bonus stats it has. That's all. You could find a white-quality shield with higher armor and block rating than a magic or rare, or even legendary. It just made things a little more interesting. Granted with each difficulty level, new suffix/prefixes are unlocked that attempt to make it so white items are never considered, which is perfectly acceptable.

    As usual, Ghostcrawler opts for the easier way out. Now we have to deal with more dead/trivialized content (that people are gonna bitch about when they "rehash" it) and more hardware complaints. "My computer can't run raids in MoP" etc.

    Seriously, why don't they just opt for a system that allows items to scale, instead of just recreating items. This way, when you get the heroic version of an item, it's the same item, just with a special "enchant" on it that boosts its stats to the appropriate ilvl.
    The CPU stuff is on their end, it's on their servers to handle it, not our PC, all our computers do is relay to their servers what ability we last chose, their servers calculates everything and then send it back. If that stuff was done on our computers there'd be a ton of cheaters.

    The TBC to WOTLK jump didn't start huge, it became huge starting with 3.1 thanks to Blizzard deciding to add heroic/hard modes on top of the 10M to 25M item level differences without properly planning for it from the start. If they had then Wrath might have been the expansion that merged 10/25M lockouts and had 10 and 25 mans share the same loot table.

    Shit did go nuts with Cataclysm though from changing the way characters scale per level to excessive item level inflation because IMO they over compensated in their concerns of heroic geared T10 raiders being able to do T11 while still wearing their T10H gear.

    IMO a place they could start the item level crunch is with tiers from previous expansions that no one cares about for "upgrades" and merging item levels from raid sizes and heroic versions to the lowest item level for that tier and take things from there. It won't be a huge drop but it might off set things a little.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    It is a big deal. I think it's rather ridiculous that it's getting to the point of tanks having 1mil+ HP and doing 100k+ DPS and such. One of the reasons I love Rift is because it's back to small numbers again. Players with 5k hp and tanks with 15-20k. And 2k dps being great and such.
    Rift is a game that's barely a year old compared to WoW going on year eight. They will still do a number stat crunch, it's inevitable but they still have time to work on it and do it right. If Rift is around in seven years it's damn sure going to run into a similar "problem".

  5. #25
    Over 9000! Arbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Draenor
    Posts
    9,012
    Next expansion they there more likely to drop the stats down and I do agree with them.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharli View Post
    nope wrong
    3,000 is correctly still the same.
    30,000 however is not 30k it's 30,000 i crit-hitted a dungeon boss at level 87 with a 50k hit showed up as 50,000, so it's not implemented yet or it bugged out for you/me.
    It was compressing 30,00 down to 30k in beta back in March; maybe it's changed in the months since.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Avrantia View Post
    So has the stat squish been cancelled
    Yes, for now it has, thankfully.

  8. #28
    Legendary! Evil Inside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Down Under
    Posts
    6,986
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Until our dps is measured in MegaFonzies, I shall not be sated.
    I approve.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmas View Post
    I would give a kidney for the stat squish. I just dont understand why the lowered the numbers so much. Yeah, MS doing 200 dmg is weird (rather low than weird imo), 2000 dmg would've been okay.
    ... and a lvl 1 doing .5 damage... GOOD GAME!... x-x imo the stat squish would have been FAR too much work to retune ALL the old content... /shrug not saying it is BAD... just that it would be far too much work for Blizzard... which means they probably would have done a terrible job of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amsden View Post
    Nope I played the Mewtwo v Frieza fight out to detail in my head and it ended with Megatron as the victor.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by taggthemage View Post
    ... and a lvl 1 doing .5 damage... GOOD GAME!... x-x imo the stat squish would have been FAR too much work to retune ALL the old content... /shrug not saying it is BAD... just that it would be far too much work for Blizzard... which means they probably would have done a terrible job of it.
    Thing is, they said they did the item squish, it was done and implemented. And they didn't like how it turned out. So they did all the work, and then undid/scrapped it rather than put out something they didn't like the feel of.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    Thing is, they said they did the item squish, it was done and implemented. And they didn't like how it turned out. So they did all the work, and then undid/scrapped it rather than put out something they didn't like the feel of.
    It does and doesn't surprise me that they reverted it. There was far too much QQ about the stat reduction. I just know that I'm going to feel silly with 1500 stamina and 1200 str on items.

  12. #32
    The Lightbringer Haidaes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    BUoE - Bureaucratic Union of Europe
    Posts
    3,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    Thing is, they said they did the item squish, it was done and implemented. And they didn't like how it turned out. So they did all the work, and then undid/scrapped it rather than put out something they didn't like the feel of.
    Yesterday is traveled into the future took a look at the source code of Titan, went back to yesterday and recoded the whole game in under 3 hours. I had it all figured out! But I decided the time was not right, so I deleted everything.

    Really guys, corporate bs is coporate bs. They "might" have multiplied every item and stat with a factor with a script and took a look at certain levels they deemed right, but I'm pretty sure they did not rebalance the whole game just to see how it feels, because, you know that would mean they actually had to test everything from 1 to 90, which is a lot of work and I really hope they didn't waste the money we pay them on that (the 20 dollar bills they use as toilet paper is certainly money better spent). If they already had it they certainly could have thrown it out on the beta realm and let us see for our self, they might have actually gotten decent feedback, who knows.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •