Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How do you introduce yourself / react when someone introduces to you?

Ok i have another life question. I have not moved from place to place a lot (2 times) but i wish to know how you would react when someone comes to you and introduces to you and ask to be friends? I ask this because soon i will move in another town and i want to do it "the right way". Until now that's what i did, first on a football field and second on in a gym - i go to a person which is around my age and i introduce myself. Now question from title - How do you introduce yourself / react when someone introduces to you? Any tips?
    That guy (>'.')>

WoW Cinematics : WotLK>WoD=MoP>Vanilla=Cataclysm>TBC

10+ Year Old Account
    Do people actually ask to be your friend? That seems awkward.

OT: I just look them and the eye and shake their hand. From their it's pretty much ad hoc introduction talk "how do you know so and so" or "where are you from."

Deleted
    Look them in the eye and give them a firm handshake. I hate it when people have noodle wrists when shaking hands, shows lack of confidence.

...like a normal person. O.o a friendly vocal greeting if it's a friend, a handshake if it's more formal.

I've never heard someone ASKING to be friends, that's awkward and something people did in kindergarten. But if they do ask, say something along the lines of "Sure, let's go grab a beer!"

Deleted
    You don't walk up to someone and asks them to be friends, it happens :P (I don't see any harm in just introducing yourself though)

I hate to be cliché (Who am I kidding, I love being cliché!) but just be yourself, if someone likes you enough to count you as a ''friend'' then you I assume you have plenty in common, but don't do be too sticky/forceful with people, one guy did that to me and I wanted to get rid of him A.S.A.P

As for my own reaction to introductions, I'd introduce myself back and think nothing of it, but from what I've seen some people get freaked out by introductions out of the blue.(They'll smile to your face but put a knife in your back kind of thing)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Look them in the eye and give them a firm handshake. I hate it when people have noodle wrists when shaking hands, shows lack of confidence.
    If it's the awkwardly mismatched handshake where one person just gets a palm full of fingers, it's usually a good ice breaker to point out how god awful the handshake was.

I breathe heavily and sweat a lot, avoiding eye contact at all costs and I studder a whole bunch. This leaves the person with a low impression of me so when I see them a second time I blow their fucking minds
    Unf - Night Watch - Pagle

Consider the ocean waves, and how the moon's force guides them this way and that across the earth's surface. Human life is an insane coincidence. We are an instance of the universe becoming conscious of itself, yes, old news but always worth review.

Deleted
    I'm pretty withdrawn when it comes to meeting new people. Can take weeks or even months before I start actually talking to someone irl if I've met them before, won't be talking to someone if it's the first time I meet them. Don't introduce myself to others either, my friends have to tell people who I am if there's someone new to me. I don't shake hands with people I don't know nor do I want people I don't know to touch me. Also don't like it when people try to look me in the eyes, some even have leaned down in an attempt to get eye contact when I look away down into the ground.

I'm probably a bit weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    If it's the awkwardly mismatched handshake where one person just gets a palm full of fingers, it's usually a good ice breaker to point out how god awful the handshake was.
    Man I hate that. I am a firm believer in a good handshake. it makes me mad when the other handshake player gets over excited and clamps down before my hand is in position. What the hell am I supposed to do now? Slow your roll...it aint a race.

What if she's a girl, you still give the said firm heavenly handshake?
    That guy (>'.')>

WoW Cinematics : WotLK>WoD=MoP>Vanilla=Cataclysm>TBC

Quote Originally Posted by Deepsidedj View Post
    you know...sexist as it sounds, I don't. Not because I think she can't handle a firm handshake, but because it seems socially proper to NOT shake firmly. I still don't dead fish her, but I don't grip to empress. Even the form and posture of the handshake is different.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepsidedj View Post
    Of course, a good handshake shows confidence. Why should women be left out?

I guess a lot of it depends on the woman as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe they lack confidence because people judge them on small tiny things such as a handshake :S

I hate shakin peoples hands, i much prefer to just say hello or how are you etc..shaking hands seems too masculin/ out dated :S and then their is the problem with germs etc/ washing your hands

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HatsHatsHats View Post
    I breathe heavily and sweat a lot, avoiding eye contact at all costs and I studder a whole bunch. This leaves the person with a low impression of me so when I see them a second time I blow their fucking minds
    lol'd, n1
    OP: i just look them in the eye, shake hands and say my name ( if i've never met them before)

10+ Year Old Account
    But you don't grip as firmly as you would a male to male handshake, would you?

I'd fear inflicting pain if i did that.

10+ Year Old Account
    What kind of person asks to be your friend? That would just be awkward and make me resent you.

OT: I more or less just give a simple greeting and then go with the flow. I don't bother shaking hands as it's too formal and often awkward for the other person.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Some girls i am sure you could hurt, but that's not why i would lessen the grip. It's about etiquette at this point.

Deleted

You grip firmly, that does not mean trying to crush the hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Some girls i am sure you could hurt, but that's not why i would lessen the grip. It's about etiquette at this point.
    sexism! woman want the same handshake that men get!