Thread: Is it me?

Is it me?

Okay, I'll start this off by saying I know I'm not the best hunter. Dont claim to be and never will...any and all assistance in improving my DPS by what you see is appreciated. I would like to see my guild do better as a whole.

Im going to post our log from our Heroic Ultraxion kill last week here Ultraxion Kill

I did a modest 40k...im not proud but what worries me most is that im still top DPS for the kill...is this normal? There are a few players with better gear then me that I assume should be doing more DPS then me, but don't. Anyone that can clue me in on whether im doing well (though I know I need much improvement) or what some of the others might do to improve would be great.

Pawk
    Minions Inc
    Hyjal

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why exactly are you not satisfied with 40k? Sure, it's not world-best, but it's still pretty good. Our SV hunter usually does 38-39 with about same ilvl(we're 10-man though). I think you're where you should be. Well, I guess you might get it like 5% higher if you really push it on fading lights and get lucky on procs...

People below 30 are the ones you should worry about.
    Old Gods made me do it.

ive been told by some that i should be doing about 5k more as a hunter with the gear i have.

My biggest question though is...I thought hunters werent number 1 dps...shouldnt others be beating me with equal or better gear?

Deleted
    While it's true 45k is absolutely doable on ultraxion at ilvl 400, you're right, many of the other guys in your raid are underperforming way more serious than you are. Hunters are pretty good still though, you should be at least near the top if the other guys have similar ilvl and no legendaries.

A couple of things I noticed in your log:

1) You only got 2 Blood Furys in the fight. You should have had 3.
    2) Do you manually do Synapse Springs? You missed 1.
    3) Your CD usage is all over the place.
    A) In the middle of the fight, around 21:31:00, is where your Blood Fury came off of CD; You probably could have stacked it with the Eng Tinker(that you missed), plus your haste trinket proc and 4pc.
    B) At the end you stacked Pot and Blood Fury with Blood Lust, but Im guessing Call of the wild Was on CD?
    C) Do you precast Call of the wild then swap pets before the pull? It doesn't look like it to me. With your guilds kill time you could get probably 2.5 CotWs in that fight using that tactic.
    Just curious, but does your RL pop lust at the beginning for the dps and then at the end for healers? IMO it should be at the beginning, with healers phasing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    While it's true 45k is absolutely doable on ultraxion at ilvl 400, you're right, many of the other guys in your raid are underperforming way more serious than you are. Hunters are pretty good still though, you should be at least near the top if the other guys have similar ilvl and no legendaries.
    We have a mage with legendary and a rogue with legendaries on that fight.

@fatbuux thanks for the review. Its really appreciated.
    1) i think i was trying to make sure I had a BF for the burn at the end, I will try to fit it in better.
    2) I dont know how i missed a Synapse. Its macroed to my Cobra Shot.
    3) this is my number one issue and I know it. Im just really bad at watching and knowing when to match CDs.
    A) I wanna work on that.
    B) yeah...I dont do the whole pet swap thing. I guess i could try it.

And yes...we pop Bl at the beginning and the healers are supposed to pop out for it.

I do about 45-48k on Ultraxion depending on night(RNG lols). iLvl 409 and no Vial :<

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poklix View Post
    ive been told by some that i should be doing about 5k more as a hunter with the gear i have.

My biggest question though is...I thought hunters werent number 1 dps...shouldnt others be beating me with equal or better gear?
    As long as those "some" aren't from your guild, then they might be correct (haven't been playing for a while). However if those "some" are from your guild point them to the rest of your raids DPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    The two spriests barely beating the tanks are what I'd really be concerned about, the one at 19.5k is performing absolutely terribly. 8% uptime on vampiric touch is someone playing very very very very badly. Compared to the spriest at 31k the other 3 are quite bad, their uptime on their dots are terrible while the one doing 31k is sitting at a nice 97%-98% uptime for dots with nearly 2x as many mind blasts. Your dps seems fine to me, our hunter does about 45k on that fight(he does have h-vial).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Usually it's the amount of fading light that is the major factor in here, and latency, since some people just can't wait til last second to press heroic will.

Also if you need to soak, some people don't have cancel aura macros.

thanks for all the great feedback. I know I have a few things to work on but this has confirmed my overall assumption. BTW...I got my heroic Vial last night, so hopefully this weeks Ultraxion kill will look even better. Ill post up the new logs for this week after our fight thursday

Deleted
    i've had this issue too, i keybind everything, spam as i should still not hitting my simulated dps, the max i ever got on ultrax hc is 43k
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...anofc/advanced < armoury.
    I have to compete against another hunter in guild with heroic vial
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...tyven/advanced < that's my opposition
    I can usually outdo him by like 1% if i play well, i just don't know what else i can do, i ask for a pre-cotw timer from my guild leader but he always get's shitty about a pull timer and his 10 second pull timer end's up getting closer to 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Poklix View Post
    I did a modest 40k...im not proud but what worries me most is that im still top DPS for the kill...is this normal? There are a few players with better gear then me that I assume should be doing more DPS then me, but don't. Anyone that can clue me in on whether im doing well (though I know I need much improvement) or what some of the others might do to improve would be great.

Pawk
    Minions Inc
    Hyjal
    Since it doesnt look like anyone addressed the question of hunters dps in comparison to others, and mainly focused on your damage / the quality of guildmates you have, i'm here to inform you that hunters are fully capable of competing in terms of dps. WOL isn't very accurate in terms of what class is consistantly the highest dps, it's simply a buff stacked (ToT FM DI PI etc etc) RNG pull, we have a fairly decent spread of classes who usually sit at the top on that fight without outside buffs and rng (4 rogues with oranges, double hunter, 3 arms warriors) and almost everyone is in full BIS at this point, on ultra I'm usually somewhere in the top 3 each week, from time to time you see a warrior or mage with legenday rng pull ahead of the pack, or a lock / ret tie the rest of the top half, but for the most part it's those 3 classes who sit on the top, all within the 48-51k range. When you take out all the stacked damage logs survival does end up being a consistant top contender on ultraxion, and most other fights.

Back when I was at 400 ilvl, I was about 44k each week, incase you were wondering, double pot, no pre cotw.