Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Man dies after playing diablo 3 for 72 hours

This is bloody ridiculous, I dunno what would push someone to play like that. I can only take at max about 2 hours before I have to have a break otherwise it gets really boring. It's really sad to see this happening.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

However, two of Shirley's friends have debunked the story, saying he died due his long term suffering with apnea.
    Although he may well have died playing D3, it was not the cause most likely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please keep in mind a few relevant facts:

- He had an apnea
    - He was overweight and refused to exercise
    - He chose not to take breaks.

Corrected: 'Man dies of illness while playing D3 for a long time.'

I hate those kinds of headlines. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

If you read the article it would seem that his health problems were the real cause of the death, and not "playing diablo 3 for 72 hours", though playing that long probably Didnt help..

So he had a heart attack or died due to sleep apnea, both of which are avoidable through diet/excersize or getting on of those sleep masks things people with seep apnea use. He happened to die while playing D3 and Blizz gets free publicity. Go Blizz?

While I do kinda feel bad someone died, I have a hard time having too much sympathy for someone who basically let it happen to themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most other reports from family and friends claim that this story has pretty much been totally over-sensationalized. He passed away due to his longterm battle with apnea.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    First comment:

"Russell was a good friend of over 15 years for me. He lived in my guest house. We played diablo 3 together.

Unfortunately the events portrayed are not entirely accurate and are being sensationalized. Russell struggled with health problems for some time and did not commit to a 3 day marathon session of Diablo 3. Many were excited over the release. The night before he was out with friends until 1am.

He will be missed. I hope this article either realized that they are printing inaccuracies are immortalizing him as "obsessive gamer dies from videogaming" or retracts some of these statements. At least look for some facts. Jesus fucking christ."

Don't believe everything you read. The article implies a causal link between playing a game for 3 days and his death.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    How the hell would a game as boring as d3 make a man play it to his death ?!?
    lol I wondered the same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Must of been some epic loot that dropped that made him have a heart attack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sad IGN was in so much of a rush to capitalize on sensationalist stuff like this that they couldn't even proofread their garbage rag for spelling.
    "Brevity is...wit"

15+ Year Old Account
    While I can certainly see the sad part about this news, I really think it's his own stupid fault .
    What do you think you know and how do you think you know it?

Are you conscious in the sense of being aware of your own awareness?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Please keep in mind a few relevant facts:

- He had an apnea
    - He was overweight and refused to exercise
    - He chose not to take breaks.
    Aye this. He might aswell have died on the toilet, and if he had we wouldn't see a "TOILETS ARE EVIL!!!" article.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

15+ Year Old Account
    Headlines are only there to get your interest in reading the rest of the story. Which means they don't have to be correct. As many says he died from his illness and not from playing.

How is that sad. Some idiot does something stupid and gets him self killed and its sad? If he really died because of his own stupidity then good riddance i say.
    Last edited by Jitters; 2012-05-24 at 06:18 PM.

Deleted
    This will fuel the "games are dangerous"-camp, as always.

Sad, but it is none but the dead's fault.

Natural selection. Moving on.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    Headlines are only there to get your interest in reading the rest of the story. Which means they don't have to be correct. As many says he died from his illness and not from playing.
    A headline should still be correct... not misleading. Only a crappy writer resorts to deliberately warping the story just for attention grabbing, but there's a lot of crappy writers out there... some more effort, or a better writer, could certainly have led to a better headline.

4.7 million people get diablo>one has a heart attack while playing the game>news?
    I bet someone had a heart attack riding a bike this past week too, where is the headline for that.