Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Movies] GI Joe: Retaliation delayed til march 2013 for 3d conversion

http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/blog..._retaliat.html Anyone else heard about this utter BS? If this is true then i will go out of my way to not go and see this movie in any way that cost me money. To hype a film up for a year and then a month before it hits theaters you delay nearly a year to convert to 3d is such a dick move.

Sorry if there is another thread on this as i didn't see any.

They need to get off this whole 3D BS. And this is a huge dick move.

A movie that has been out for 3 weeks (The Avengers), sunk (pun intended) Battleship, another Hasbro product, so they are pulling it and shifting it to a March release date where there isn't many "big" box office movies (for example, Hunger Games was slotted in March, etc). Its a pretty trash move honestly to be chicken to release a flick with so many other big movies being released this summer (MIB3, Amazing Spider Man...isn't there another...oh yes I almost forgot TDK:Rises :P). Saying you're going to convert a movie and delay it for 10 MONTHS? Yeah, I think a monkey could convert a movie to 3D in less time than a whole TEAM. Bah ;/

"We realised our film was coming out around the same time as Prometheus, The Dark Knight Rises and The Amazing Spider Man and our wallets pee'd themselves."

15+ Year Old Account
    Glad someone started a thread on this. Delaying the movie 9 months to do post-production 3d conversion is just hilarious. I was actually interested in seeing this movie because the trailer was decent and it wasn't in 3d, but I might not see it in theaters out of principle now. I could understand doing this months ago, but to do it with right around a month until release day is just insane. It just screams that the movie is freaking awful and they know the only way they have a chance of making the budget is to add cheap and crappy 3d to it and move it into a no mans land for releases.

15+ Year Old Account
    Meh. I mean, the first GI Joe movie was pretty ridiculous. I can't imagine much of a step up here. March is a terrible month to release films in though. I suppose they want to get a jump on the 2013 summer season, but I have a feeling it will hurt them in the long run.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Meh. I mean, the first GI Joe movie was pretty ridiculous. I can't imagine much of a step up here. March is a terrible month to release films in though. I suppose they want to get a jump on the 2013 summer season, but I have a feeling it will hurt them in the long run.
    The first one looked awful from the very first trailer. The first trailer for Retaliation looked pretty good. Plus Cobra Commander is legitimately in this movie afaik.

How nuts is it that Channing Tatum went from not even being on the first page of actors for the first GI Joe movie to being the top billed guy for the sequel ahead of Bruce Willis, the Rock, etc. That guy blew up big time.

10+ Year Old Account
    while I do not believe the world will end this year, it would be nice if they delayed this movie until after the end of the world, whenever that is

Deleted
    3D needs to go away just feels completly useless to me tought i am 3D blind so i guess my opinion dont count on that

Also i had no idea they where even making a second one the first one was so bad.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    How nuts is it that Channing Tatum went from not even being on the first page of actors for the first GI Joe movie to being the top billed guy for the sequel ahead of Bruce Willis, the Rock, etc. That guy blew up big time.
    Yeah, he's been in like 5-6 movies in the last two years. I'm guessing he plays a bigger role now + has more name recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by Vayjir View Post
    3D needs to go away just feels completly useless to me tought i am 3D blind so i guess my opinion dont count on that

Also i had no idea they where even making a second one the first one was so bad.
    Don't feel bad. My mom is the same way. Can't see 3D so all this 3D bullcrap doesn't interest her. And honestly, even though I have no problem seeing it, I honestly hate all this 3D crap. It was horrible back in the 50s/60s when they first tried it out, and it's worse now. House of Wax with Vincent Price was in 3D, and was done better than any of the 3D crap now, and it was the hokey 3D where so much crap was tossed at the camera so people would remember it was 3D, which I absolutely hate.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's our true chance to "boycott" 3D, though I doubt many people will see this movie anyway because of the first one, which I call the greatest corniest flick of all time. It had the perfect amount of corny in it and it was amazing, I doubt this one will be any different, pretty stupid to delay it that long though, it was coming out in July, it would of been on DVD by then, pretty dick move.
    Last edited by Clockwork Pinkie; 2012-05-24 at 11:04 PM.

The 3D is only an excuse. The move could turn out to be very smart, it is a better timeslot and they have a lot competition with their old release date. On the other hand they spent all that money advertising it that is now wasted, people will forget in 10 months and they'll need to advertise again. There is also no guarantee that another movie doesn't come out of nowhere and steal its thunder at that later date. Someone isn't thinking ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    "We realised our film was coming out around the same time as Prometheus, The Dark Knight Rises and The Amazing Spider Man and our wallets pee'd themselves."
    This sounds about right to me.

Deleted
    in UK those toys were called Action Force

seriously though, it cant be a decent movie can it? I dont see why anyone would care :P

15+ Year Old Account
    According to the Rock they are shooting entire new scenes to take advantage of the 3d. That definitely makes me think they are doing rewrites and shooting new scenes because the movie is awful and they are trying to make it less awful to make money as a March release.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensui06 View Post
    http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/blog..._retaliat.html Anyone else heard about this utter BS? If this is true then i will go out of my way to not go and see this movie in any way that cost me money. To hype a film up for a year and then a month before it hits theaters you delay nearly a year to convert to 3d is such a dick move.

Sorry if there is another thread on this as i didn't see any.

Well I guess you can use this time to maybe read the G.I. Joe comic series by IDW, if you haven't already.
    “I’m tired of being crushed under the weight of greedy men who believe in nothing.” - Jax Teller

G.I. Jose!!! A real Mexican hero!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    According to the Rock they are shooting entire new scenes to take advantage of the 3d. That definitely makes me think they are doing rewrites and shooting new scenes because the movie is awful and they are trying to make it less awful to make money as a March release.
    like putting lipstick on a pig

Well to me 3D is garbage and a waste in my opinion. First GI Joe was not great at all and actually bad even tho critics and public liked it I guess. Listen if you love GI Joe and/or like the first movie then yeah sucks that it got moved back. Otherwise GI Joe being delayed I really dont care. Did I mention I hate 3D!!!