No bios boot for first pc build lease help :(

Ok guys so after months of planning and countless amounts of guides watched I have finally just finished my frat solo gaming pc rig. And to my devistation, it doesn't work when I plug it in and hook it to a hd monitor and hit the on switch the following happens. The lights and fans come to life for about 3 seconds then the computer dies. It then boots back up again, case fans and led lights come to life and te CPU and gpu fan start to spin then stop ( I here this is normal as they only spin when heat is generated. As for the monitor I get nothing. No beeps no bios no blue screen. I feel so disappointed that I have tried so hard and seem to have faild in the end. Does anyone recognise this fault? Oh and the reset switch doesn't work on the tower? I have tested the ram individually tested without the hdd connected but this is as far as I have got. My only hope is that there isn't any permanent damage to any components. Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated thanks guys

Deleted
    Link your computer spec (especially PSU and motherboard). Make sure the 8 pin power cable is plugged in to the motherboard along side the obvious 24pin one of course.

IT sounds like you need to check the thermal paste between your CPU and heat sink. Sometimes the factory "pad" of paste they give you is bad and will cause this issue.

Corsair 650w tx power suply and a asus p8p67 motherboard if that helps at all?

Unrelated to your problem, but that is a bad board and if you have the opportunity to swap it out with a different one with no restocking fee, you should do so. They have a rare chance of catching on fire, which I assume they fixed in later revisions. They also have issues with the BIOS and are just buggy in general.
    Last edited by chaud; 2012-05-24 at 10:13 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by drew09dalt View Post
    Corsair 650w tx power suply and a asus p8p67 motherboard if that helps at all?
    Did you make sure of checking the 8pin power like I mentioned?

Few things for you to check or try.

1. Could be a power issue, do you have the power cables(s) plugged into the GPU(s) what you described could happen if the card does got get enough power.

2. What you describe is very common of a bad overclock, although you said you just build this I assume bios have not been tweaked, however you may try resetting them by pulling the battery or hitting the reset button.

3. Could be memory, however you will normally get beep errors if this is the case. things to check are, how many sticks are you using, if you are only using 2 and have 4 slots (or 3 and 6) you need to space them out, slots are normally |1||3|2|4| or similar, some pc's will not boot if they are in 1 and 3. you can also try using only 1 stick of ram in a slot, to verify it is not either a bad slot or a bad ram stick.

Check these first.

Quote Originally Posted by notouching View Post
    Few things for you to check or try.

1. Could be a power issue, do you have the power cables(s) plugged into the GPU(s) what you described could happen if the card does got get enough power.

2. What you describe is very common of a bad overclock, although you said you just build this I assume bios have not been tweaked, however you may try resetting them by pulling the battery or hitting the reset button.

3. Could be memory, however you will normally get beep errors if this is the case. things to check are, how many sticks are you using, if you are only using 2 and have 4 slots (or 3 and 6) you need to space them out, slots are normally |1||3|2|4| or similar, some pc's will not boot if they are in 1 and 3. you can also try using only 1 stick of ram in a slot, to verify it is not either a bad slot or a bad ram stick.

Check these first.

I have checked all the ram in different slots. The gpu has the normal 6 pin connected BUT the motherboard was 1 month old n refurbished? Could it have been overclockers and need resisting at all?

I had the same issue in a build years ago. It would power on and then shut down almost immediately. Banged my head checking RAM, PSU and motherboards.

It turned out to be that my CPU was overheating due to the contact between it and my heat sink was not good. The factory thermal paste "pad" giving was not conducting as it should. I went and got new paste and had no issues afterwards.

Before you go replacing parts I would advise you to double check the thermal conduct first. It maybe old and not providing the proper conduction needed to transfer the heat.