Hell act 3/4 mobs scaling?

so, just finished act 3 in Hell, dinged 60 too, went to the AH and bought a crapload of gear, 1 piece for every slot almost, got 13k damage now and before that I'd cleared act 3 with about 5k (in a co-op with my bf, he's monk and I'm wizard, he also got same gear upgrades) We went to act 4 Hell and just got owned by everything, so figured it was just that the difficulty of mobs had been upped so we were kinda expected to get the gear before going there - though not noticed this before whilst switching acts, only when switching difficulty.

Went back to act 3 Hell and now even there we get destroyed by everything, but have better gear than before, we have vitality on each gear piece for health aswell as our primary stat for the damage, we didn't lose any resistances or anything by upgrading our gear either; so can't figure out why we're failing so hard. Do mobs scale with gear or something in Hell? We're using same skills, glyphs and playstyle as before, including kiting a lot but I basically get 1 shot even on act 3 whereas before I could take about 5 hits

I'm aware that act 4 in Hell should be difficult and we probably do undergear it a lot so fair enough, and we don't mind farming more gear from previous acts, just don't understand how when going back to act 3 we're getting so owned there, which is obviously making it hard to farm anything, guess we should go back to act 2 even but I thought the gear level is kinda low there unless we farmed for gold

thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    That's odd, Im 58 on my current wizard, playing with a lvl 60 monk and we have no problems what so ever in act 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    You might just be running into really nasty rare combinations.

Hi, I'm only on act 1 of Hell on my Barbarian, was having a really hard time and went online to see if I could figure out why. From what I've read and heard from some elite players(Kapperian) is that it's all about your resistances...but you said that didn't change? It could be that mobs scale with us as we lvl up, but I'm not really sure?

Anyways, I bought a bunch of gear with lots of resistance and vitality and am staying alive now, so really it's all about your resistance on your gear.

Hope this helps, I will check back to see if anyone has some ideas on mobs scaling with your toons lvl.

Did you have some Int(which adds resistances) or actual resistances on the gear you got rid of that is no longer on your new gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Jinze View Post
    You might just be running into really nasty rare combinations.
    Like Mortar Shielding Electrify on the big fast ones. >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Did you have some Int(which adds resistances) or actual resistances on the gear you got rid of that is no longer on your new gear?
    any resistance pieces that I had before I kept if I couldn't find anything else with them on, and anything I got with int to replace my old stuff had more int on it than previously, so resistance-wise should be okay, unless they're just low overall.

As I said, I don't mind finding new gear for act 4 but I'm just baffled to why we're dying again in act 3 unless there is some sneaky scaling or something, surely with nearly 8k more damage than I had previously then I should be breezing through act 3 and killing things super fast but this is not the case :P can't think of any other reason why act 3 is going wrong, could be just bad combos as Jinze said (I seem to be lucky getting those!) but I would've thought that with the gear increase that they would also die easy

Did the hotfixes have anything to do with it possibly? Mage and Monk both had some "nerfs" just day ago or so

All I can think of is you've sacrificed too much vital for dps stats. I was 58-60 when I did Act 4 Hell on my barb. He had ~25K hp, 160 Resists, 5100 armor, 18% block, 13% dodge, 3600 dps. I had no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddling77 View Post
    Did the hotfixes have anything to do with it possibly? Mage and Monk both had some "nerfs" just day ago or so
    did both acts today so it was already after the nerfs

Quote Originally Posted by PowerGamez View Post
    All I can think of is you've sacrificed too much vital for dps stats. I was 58-60 when I did Act 4 Hell on my barb. He had ~25K hp, 160 Resists, 5100 armor, 18% block, 13% dodge, 3600 dps. I had no problems.
    didn't have that many vital stats to lose to begin with, I'm now aware that we'll need more for act 4 and definitely for Inferno, but surely not for act 3 Hell which we already completed with poo gear :/