Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say nothing more then 100lbs. Anything up to 70lbs is easy for me to carry, and I'm a small guy. I'm only 5'5ish and weigh about 140.
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

How far am I carrying it? I can do squats at 315+lbs and I suppose I could walk a short ways with it. I can carry around the 100lbs dumbbells without a problem (can't curl 'em, but they aren't difficult to carry). I guess it depends on what the terrain and distance is like, :P. Then again, those are all weights that are designed to be held. If we're talking like awkward objects, then it'd be a whole different story.
    There are so many frivolous things in this world.

I have a lot of muscle, but really bad form in carrying things usually.

15+ Year Old Account
    Free hanging attached to my arms 100lbs per arm easily.

Enjoy the hernia surgery later btw. You *will* need it at some point in your life, and then your limit for the rest of your life will be a measly 30 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    I've carried plenty of rucksacks that were so heavy it required help to be physically lifted onto my feet. I reckon some were upto and around 150lbs. the Bergen I carried during my Arctic training was a total fucking beast. Take a normal 100lb bergen packed for exercise then throw on extra batteries, supplementary rations, survival equipment, tents and strap on a pulk loaded with weapons and ammunition.

I swear I came back about an inch shorter.
    This^

After 4 years of being in the Infantry I went from 6'4 to 6'2. No BS.

My hands are incredibly weak, so not so much. I do carry around my niece and shes about 30 pounds or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Victoriaautmors View Post
    I havent really carried anything more then about 20-30kg (luggage when traveling by plane) outside of a gym... It really depends on the individual i guess , seen photos of soldiers carrying 300kg artillery rounds on their backs but i doubt and average person can do it. Also i doubt that is healthy, damages joints, spine etc so i would find a less straining job ih i were you.
    No you havent lol thats ridiculous as a power lifter i could easily lift that shouldnt say easily but without straining myself and with effort in the right shaped object could walk with it but no one could just walk around with it strapped to there back like a back pack not even guys in the worlds strongest men so shut the fuck up

Back in my colage days I could lift around double my own weight if I could properly suport it but I sure as hell was not going anywhere when I did it. As for carrying, it kinda depended on the size and shape of the object and how I had to carry it. If I could strap it to my back a bit more than my own weight was feasable if I didnt have to go far, carried in the arms its closer to half my weight unless the item is quite easy to carry for its weight. These days not being in nearly as good shape its probably closer to 1/3 to 1/2 of what I used to be able to do.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Best I ever did was a mile with 250lbs of dude on my shoulders.

I too have a fucked up back as the result of the military.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My purse, my car keys and how many ever bags of clothing from how many ever stores i go to.. oh and shoes! :P

Deleted
    British Army here, I can carry 200lbs on my back if it is over a short period.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I must be pretty damn strong then, Since a few months ago I used to carry the combined weight of 9 men for around 3 hours straight 3 times a week.

Lately I've been slacking off though and only carry that weight for about 2 and a half hours once a week.

....I'm sorry, couldn't help myself >.<

Don't you have trolleys and carts to make the job easier? Your workplace should have them by law. I know you think it's probably great that you're doing all this hard graft and losing weight and getting into shape but the chances are without proper lifting training and constantly over exerting your limits for carrying heavy weights you will end up fucking up your body at some point.

I'm waiting for results of a scan myself as a result of a knee injury last year while I was just moving around the kitchen and slipped on a wet patch. Feeling useful at work isn't worth damaging your body and needing a bunch of stuff done in surgery years from now.
    Fly fast, stay low, hit hard.
    You'd think the 8th Anniversary was the Cheese Anniversary to go with all the whine.
    - madethisfor1post

Ravenholdt EU - Nice Toons: Frazzlebeard, Menardis, Plight - Less So: Slîght

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoriaautmors View Post
    I havent really carried anything more then about 20-30kg (luggage when traveling by plane) outside of a gym... It really depends on the individual i guess , seen photos of soldiers carrying 300kg artillery rounds on their backs but i doubt and average person can do it. Also i doubt that is healthy, damages joints, spine etc so i would find a less straining job ih i were you.
    They are carrying 660lbs on their back? fuck off, not even the best of the best can not do that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    British Army here, I can carry 200lbs on my back if it is over a short period.
    Fair point. I suppose it matters what you are carrying and for how long. I recall having to do a test that involved carrying my partner 200metres in under 90seconds wearing 33lbs of kit, he was also wearing the same. Given that the absolute minimum weight is 65kg and most bootnecks are renowned for "Op. Massive" that's well over 200lbs at a burst.

I think most people, given the right conditions could do it. Adrenalin does funky things to the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingmoney View Post
    lawlolololololawl. Human beings don't just carry 300kg.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ScQ4AjmFgo

Heaviest thing I've had to carry was a compressor that weighed roughly 250 pounds (100ish KG). I had to carry it about 30 yards to a dumpster at a car dealership ( I had changed the old compressor as it had broken.) Carrying it over wasn't the hardest part, lifting it to chest height to put it in the dumpster was. Took a few tries.

Usually I only have to carry my bucket of tools or smaller residential compressors that weigh 50-75 pounds.

Not to mention the fact that a compressor for that unit is extremely awkward in size and shape. Roughly 2.5 feet long and a foot in diameter with various fittings poking out. And I was holding it up with my arms.

If I was to just hold something by my sides and not out in front of me, I guess I could probably lug around 400 pounds in a short burst. (as long as my now-torn shoulder didn't give out lol)

Semi-ontopic... Those world strongmen lift a shitload of weight when they do the atlas stones. No way I'd ever be able to lift anything near that. Especially since I'm only 5'10". Would be nice though.
    Last edited by Nengal; 2012-05-25 at 01:41 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Fair point. I suppose it matters what you are carrying and for how long. I recall having to do a test that involved carrying my partner 200metres in under 90seconds wearing 33lbs of kit, he was also wearing the same. Given that the absolute minimum weight is 65kg and most bootnecks are renowned for "Op. Massive" that's well over 200lbs at a burst.

I think most people, given the right conditions could do it. Adrenalin does funky things to the body.
    you are/were a bootie, fucking super human.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    you are/were a bootie, fucking super human.
    Sadly I still am, and my back and knees are now eternally fucked.