Poll: What is 1 billion?

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    We use the long system in Denmark and yes it gets very confusing when you read english articles using the term billion when those numbers are astronumical high in our minds, but you get use to ignoring any english number system (gallon/pounds/foot etc.) when you think of how smart the (liter/gram/meter) system works in comparison.

So a billion is 1.000.000.000.000 and 1.000.000.000 is a milliard (note how we also use dots and not comma's to seperate the numbers, comma's here indicate decimals).
    Pretty much this, except I'm from Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by insen View Post
    1.000.000.000.000.000 equals trillion(brit.), quintillion(amer., hope I'm correct here), Trillion(ger.)
    PS: didn't watch the movie
    That's obvoius, as it's even said in the video; it's a billiard / Billiarde.

I use 1,000,000,000 for a billion.

Quote Originally Posted by insen View Post
    from germany so I use dots ofc
    1.000.000 equals million, Million(ger.)
    1.000.000.000 equals milliard (brit.), billion(amer.), Milliarde(ger.)
    1.000.000.000.000 equals billion(brit.), trillion(amer.), Billion(ger.)
    1.000.000.000.000.000 equals trillion(brit.), quintillion(amer., hope I'm correct here), Trillion(ger.)
    etc. pp.
    always wondered why Americans are ahead of the rest of the world

PS: didn't watch the movie
    1,000,000,000,000,000 - quadrillion
    1.000,000,000,000,000,000 - quintillion

the prefix on "illion" indicates how many times 1000 is multiplied by 1000. Million is the only exception. "Bi"llion - twice "Tri"llion - thrice "Quadri"llion" - four times "Quinti"llion - five times, and so on. The long scale frankly makes no sense to me, to be on topic. It seems somewhat non-metric, to be honest (although that's coming from an american). Always wondered if the long scale measures million/million, wtf do you call the in-between thousands? This "illiard" thing seems inconsistent and un-necessary, which is somewhat counter to the point of the metric.

10+ Year Old Account
    One billion is 1,000,000,000. I have never heard of it being 1,000,000,000,000. But then again, I always expect two spaces after a period, and apparently I'm wrong on that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerOnly View Post
    tf do you call the in-between thousands? This "illiard" thing seems inconsistent and un-necessary, which is somewhat counter to the point of the metric.
    Milliard for example, 1000 millions. It's not very complicated, it's pretty logical if you ask me but I grew with the long system.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    American here and I never even thought that there was another way of saying it/system to it. Thanks for the video!

We're using short system and it's better because 1.000.000 too much increment for practice in any field. Both are logical in terms of math but language-wise-logic barely means anything...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm Canadian and at least to English speaking Canada one billion = 10^9. I learned french as a second language growing up, and we learned the word for billion in french, but it was interesting that we never learned that it actually meant a different number. And honestly, while I consider myself fairly well read, I had never even heard of the long system until a couple years ago when I visited family in the UK.

On a side note, in Canada we are pure metric system, and have been since the 80s. Its interesting to see my parents talk about things in imperial units (I was born in 1985) yet you see almost no references to it. Only the skilled trades (carpenters, plumbers, electricians etc) seem to still use imperial, and that's only because the numbers feel nicer.

A thousand millions, that is a billion.
    "Druid must be boss, Hunter is just Drain-monkey.

Hunter scatter this rogue.
    Hunter drain that priest.
    Hunter where is frost trap. Bad Hunter! No banana!
    Hunter where is flare? No flare, you get replaced by retarded warrior!"

-Huainy

10+ Year Old Account
    1 followed by 9 zeros, that's how I've always heard it.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    1 000 000 000 of course :S

Other
    1 0.75%
    made me laugh for some reason :S

I always call 1000m a "financial" billion as I always felt the Americans (and now rest of the world) do it that way to make themselves sound richer than they actually are :P For us in the UK a billion = a million million, trillion = a million, million, million, quadrillion = a million, million, million, million and so on From waht I gather though. It does mean my teacher was totally wrong when talking about world population whan I was a kid ^^

And I like it that way. The long system is long, and I don't have time for that crap!

10+ Year Old Account
    1000^1=One Thousand
    1000^2=One Million
    1000^3=One Billion
    1000^4=One Trillion
    1000^5=One Quadrillion

Makes sense to me.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Well in my language (slovakian).
    1 000 000 000 = miliarda
    1 000 000 000 000 = bilión
    1 000 000 000 000 000 = biliarda
    1 000 000 000 000 000 000 = trilión

But I know that in english it means 1 000 000 000.

Deleted
    From Sweden and I use the long system. I'm aware of the short system when I speak english. But I think the long is much more natural.

Deleted
    I always use the logical method.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdbear View Post
    From Sweden and I use the long system. I'm aware of the short system when I speak english. But I think the long is much more natural.
    Funny thing is, "more natural" is quite subjective, isn't it? If I were to have to all of a sudden get used to a billion being twelve zeroes, it wouldn't feel very natural at all.

Deleted
    1 Billion is 10 to the power of 9 no matter where you live.

And yes, I'm from Sweden and I'm well aware that 1 biljon is 10 to the power of 12. But biljon is not the proper translation of bilion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody uses the long scale anymore, just Internet nerds who feel the need to try to be difficult while at the same time expressing how unamerican they are.
    It's jingoism tbh.