Thread: Why Sargeras?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Sargeras is the biggest bad in the game. Up to this point, he's had a key role in EVERY villain we've faced off with (including the Old Gods here because of the Titanic Imprisonment). Sargeras will be the BIGGEST boss in the game, but I do not think he'll be the last. Lore is ever-expanding and we'll ultimately kill him (or banish him or something), but I think that the story will continue after that (I'm sure this will be several years down the road).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert the fish View Post
    honestly what i think will happen is that when WoW wants to close they'll have an invasion event that lasts a few months or so.
    at the very end of it Sarg himself appears...wherever we are.
    at this point he becomes a world boss that takes basically the entire server working 'together' to down.

---------- Post added 2012-05-25 at 06:54 PM ----------

well let's be fair, the mmofps is just a theory at this point. nobody has said that it would be one.

i mean that still doesn't make his point any more sensible, but still.
    At the last investors report they revealed that Titan was an mmoRPG.

1) There'd be no real point continuing after Sargeras. Blizzard would have to introduce completely new antagonists which have nothing to do with Warcraft and haven't been heard of before, yet are somehow as much of a threat to Azeroth. Doing something like that NEVER works well, people don't like it. It would also cheapen the hell out of all Sargeras and the Burning Legion.

2) One would hope they plan to end the series and story with grace, instead of dragging it out so long that it degrades into generic and overused plots with no real conclusion.

Say they continue making random expansions, where does it end? Do they just keep going until they run out of decent story and everyone's just stopped playing? Do you really think Blizzard want their main game and story that they've been working on for 20 years to just die out without any kind of conclusion?

Sargeras and the Burning Legion ARE Warcraft. The primary antagonists since (retconned) before Wacraft 1. You can't go on without them.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2012-05-25 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    We defeat Sargeras, the titans go "nice, you're finally strong enough to help us with the conflict that's kept us away from our "baby" worlds for so long. Oh yeah, Sargeras was like a bad apple but we couldn't come and kick his ass on our own because we are FAR too tied up fighting xxxx"

and thus we have a high fantasy continuation where we go along with the titans as their allies to fight the BIG dark evil that's lurking out there.

It's a weak example but it's one "plot line" that took about a minute to think up that gives them a way out after the burning legion is put down.
    The reapers are still out there lying dormant in dark space.

Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    The Titan Pantheon is the clear choice for the game's final expansion. Antagonists don't have to be "evil", that's just the stereotype. While the Titans aren't evil, they're not benevolent beings. They're completely unfeeling creatures who exist solely to create order in the universe. One look at the chaos that has become of their experiments on Azeroth and they'd make a bee line to us to reorder the planet.

Edit: I know the difference between a protagonist and an antagonist, I swear.
    That was the plan in Ulduar with Algalon btw.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostnet View Post
    Sargeras is the main villain, if it wasn't for him, there would be no Burning legion. So if there ever is a final boss, it will be him, but i can't see WoW stopping after that expansion (unless they lose too many subs so just finish it their when it become non-profitable)
    People assume they have it all mapped out, so there will be expansions after Sargeras. As MoP will show, the game can get whole expansions based on a tiny shred of lore. They will do this until it is milked for every last cent Blizzard can make. Sargeras will ALWAYS be the carrot on the stick. They will branch expansions until you ultimately meet him. They won't let you meet him face to face until they've exhausted all other expansions. It is WoW fact, he is the evil of evils in this game. They will simply float the idea of the encounter along UNTIL they have decided to pull the plug on the servers, THEN end the game with the encounter. All players who have ever played come back for the grand finale and the epic run of this game ends with a stockholder bang before they launch a new universe.

Old Gods? The Old Gods are nothing. Sargeras was the Champion of the Titans. When last they met, he beat the Old Gods into submission. The dragon aspects are mere toys to the Vanir Titans, and they proved more than capable of thwarting Old God plans by themselves. Since his fall, Sargeras has grown in power, while the armies of the Old Gods are shattered by mere mortals.

10+ Year Old Account
    At this point in the storyline, Sargeras really has no firm place. He isn't going to just popup at the end of Pandaria and the refocus on H v A means that we will at least see most of this expansion and some of the next focusing on fight for control of Azeroth.

This doesn't mean Sargeras won't pop up eventually, but as a character that can persist for thousands of years after our characters have turned to dust, it isn't exactly necessary that he even makes an appearance in WoW.

Also, note that it is impossible for Blizzard to develop on expansion with the mindset "This is the LAST ONE.". That makes a huge impact on the moral of people working 70hr weeks to get content finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

It would actually be funny if KJ stole Sargeras' thunder at the end. It is said in lore that if Archimonde had drained the World Tree as he intended then he would have become more powerful than Sargeras himself. Sargeras was interested in Azeroth to begin with because Azeroth has so many untapped wells of power (well of eternity, sunwell, world tree, etc.) Anyway, I think it would be funny if KJ actually ended up claiming a well of power as his own and performing a Coup de Grace of the Dark Titan right before us. I mean KJ is the Deceiver, and apparently as of Velen's short story KJ has the power to annihilate entire planets with a single spell (it doesn't outright say it was KJ, but it would be super hax if a regular eredar could perform such a feat).

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    At this point in the storyline, Sargeras really has no firm place. He isn't going to just popup at the end of Pandaria and the refocus on H v A means that we will at least see most of this expansion and some of the next focusing on fight for control of Azeroth.

This doesn't mean Sargeras won't pop up eventually, but as a character that can persist for thousands of years after our characters have turned to dust, it isn't exactly necessary that he even makes an appearance in WoW.

Also, note that it is impossible for Blizzard to develop on expansion with the mindset "This is the LAST ONE.". That makes a huge impact on the moral of people working 70hr weeks to get content finished.
    Well the end raid suggests the lead up to a burning legion expansion, maybe not sargeras directly but the legion. Garrosh's madness, fel orcs and experiments under orgrimmar seem to be "conveniently" placed.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    Arthas, neither of which received any mention in WoW before their expansions
    There were undead in Classic. Anyone who knows anything about WoW lore knows that the undead were controlled by the Lich King, who was also Arthas (It's debatable whether it was all arthas, all LK, or a mix). He didn't need to be mentioned for many many people to know he was there.

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Well the end raid suggests the lead up to a burning legion expansion, maybe not sargeras directly but the legion. Garrosh's madness, fel orcs and experiments under orgrimmar seem to be "conveniently" placed.
    Not to mention, Wrathion's new in-game dialogue talks of a "darkness", "reckoning" and "horrors that are even now bearing down on our fragile home". He could perhaps be foreshadowing an invasion by N'Zoth, but I personally was leaning towards the Legion.

However as someone else stated previously, I don't believe we will see Sargeras as a villain until all other resources have been tapped. I can see him making appearances throughout later expansions and getting references and namedrops, but I think he'll be a boss continuously reserved for the end of WoW if ever a time comes. Furthermore, they may not let us kill him at all, so they can create more Warcraft games to expand the lore while retaining an already well-established lore villain.

Old Gods are actually trying to unite all of Azeroth to combat the REAL threat.

The Titans.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincey View Post
    I think I perceive Sargeras different to you guys,

The Titans, HUGE unthinking, unemotional, unforgiving beings that care nothing for life for it is too chaotic..

OR

Sargeras, You can say what you like about him, but he understands emotion and his legion is very much alive and growing... his methods may leave a little to be desired but overall perhaps he is just trying to sustain uncontrollable, unpredictable emotional life in the galaxy?

out of the two I prefer Sargeras, I'd rather bend the knee to him than have everything wiped back to rock by the titans thank you very much.

He accepts our hatred because he's the hero Azeroth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Titan.
    Coincidentally here, I believe you're referring to Algalon trying to "repopulate" the planet during Ulduar until we kicked his backside. Now he judged the planet, looked at the states of the old golds, of all the evil and corruption and was like "bitch, please". So hypothetically speaking, The whole reason the Titans wanted to destroy life on Azeroth was because of the chaos caused by Sargeras.

In your theory,
    Sargeras is trying to save the world by being evil because the titans cant stand chaos/evil, but because there is chaos/evil the titans want to repopulate Azeroth. accordingly"

Ultimately it leads to a point where they both want to kill us all!

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i always thought that too but ever since the velen shortstory i think what the naaru are talking about is a much bigger evil then the burning legion
    ...a much bigger evil than a replenishing army of sadistic demons led by one of - very possibly THE - most powerful being in existence, whose sole purpose is to systematically sew chaos and death across the universe?

...like what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Sargeras is half-dead, though. And it's very likely that Old Gods are more powerful than Sargeras.
    That's complete speculation. We will have to wait and see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Quote Originally Posted by Lightfist View Post
    ...a much bigger evil than a replenishing army of sadistic demons led by one of - very possibly THE - most powerful being in existence, whose sole purpose is to systematically sew chaos and death across the universe?

...like what?
    Like the old gods race, after your first ecounter with titans they tell us that the old gods chained on azeroth are just kids, they were left on the planet to absorb it's energy and grown up and that the adults are basically on par with the titans race; the demons that sargeras used are abasically all the races created by the titans all around the universe and then corrupted by the old gods.

Unless Blizzard introduces completely new lore, which is certainly not out of the question, Sargeras is the most dangerous being in the Warcraft universe with the exception of the Old Gods. I figure the final expansion, or game, or book, or whatever else may be used to end the saga, will deal with the complete release of the Old Gods and trying to handle them. Sargeras will likely come right before that, but I think it would be amazing to have them both come back into the picture at the same time. It would be more interesting, not just having one villain or side to defeat, but two.

Deleted
    - The time has come to fight till our last breath! - Shouted the heroes in the Lion Pride Tavern.
    Drank up their last gloup of beer, then entered to portal leading to the main territory of the Buring Legion itself. The forces of the allied Horde and the Alliance were alerady there, fightig against the swarming demons. All kind of monsters covered every single footsep as far as you could see. Undeads, demon races you have never seen before. Far away covered in black mists stood the Black Citadel.
    - That's our goal. At least we need to be able to reach it if we want to have a chance against Sargeras.
    - Will be a nice trip with all of these demons around.
    - Straight is the shortest. Anyway, we have everyone we could hope.
    - I've never seen such a great team before for sure.
    - Don't waste more time! Our best soldiers are swimming in blood while you chit-chatting.
    - Al'right, lets kill some before the taste in my mouth turns from beer to blood!
    With those words, they joined the front. They were really not the avarage bunch of drinking pals.
    - Who would dare to guess we will see the Horde and Alliance team up. Not to mention the demigods of Azeroth and the Dragon Aspects have come to aid us too.
    - We had no choice. We've always find our ways to work next to each other against the the greatest enemies, even though we never stopped our own pity fights. And there is no bigger threat right now. Its time to join forces again.
    - Once and for all, we must put an end to this chaos, the Legion caused.
    The leaders of Azeroth looked like close friends as they stood in front of the strategy map. Illidan and Malfurion stepped into the tent.
    - What is he doing here!?
    - I've come to take my part of course! - said Illidan with a grin on his face.
    - I though this bastard been dead for good!
    - Same here, what happened?
    - Don't worry, he is on our side now.
    - I'm not so sure about it. We have enough problems with the demons. Speaking of demons, he is much like one of them!
    - I can guarantee he will cause no trouble for us.
    With that, the last, unexpected support joined the war. The demon hunters.
    The war took long, but finally some of the heroes have arrived to the citadel. It wasn't easy to slash their way through the walls of demons. How many weeks have passed, they didn't even know. As the Vice-Captain of the guard demons of the citadel saw the forces closing up, he headed for the room of Sargeras. The monstrous but quick demon finally arrived, he was as pale as a demon could. It's not a good thing to interrupt the leader of the Legion. The best he could hope was a quick death. But he must warn him about the forces next to their base at all costs. The demon gathered all his bravery and opened the door.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMxTFqPET5I

15+ Year Old Account
    Nothing states that the "last" boss for the World of Warcraft expansions would be Sargeras. Its even been stated by Blizzard themself that we wont even meet the Titans by the end of Wow and certainly not Sargeras (no, I cant recall where it was stated at given time but I believe it was linked on this site at the time - possibly one of last two blizzcons). Besides that I´m certain blizzard can come up with an even more "main" villain if they have to when the time is right - even if Sargeras just went mopey about his job instead of actually being corrupted by the demons he was supposed to capture and keep imprisoned (much better than the redone story imo, since it would show they could be corrupted too).
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the final boss will be Sargeras because, according to lore, his mere presence on a planet raises its ambient temperature by thousands of degrees, his hoofstomp can destroy planets in one stomp. Not to mention corrupting anyone who is near him mentally.

Now maybe some of that is blown out of proportion, but I don't think there is anyone more powerful in wow lore.