Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Critical Mass nerf

Quote Originally Posted by DiabloFans
    5/24/2012
    Wizard
    Critical Mass (Passive)
    Fixed an issue with certain powers that had a higher than intended chance to trigger Critical Mass
    Source: http://www.diablofans.com/news/1219-...-thorns-affix/

So first Energy Armor and now this. How is it working for you guys, is this build still viable? I tried it a sec ago but nothing has changed yet I think... at least in EU. Maybe we'll get this change later or maybe it's just not that big.

Notice the "Higher than intended chance"
    I dont think its a nerf but rather a fix?
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

Can people stop calling bugfixes "nerfs"

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it was working fine last night at least in my 31% crit build
    Geme smtn 2 kielllllll.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Well, Blizzard has a tendency to play with words a little bit. Whenever they "fix" something, they like to say "it wasn't intended to work this way," just avoid admitting to a real mistake or miscalculation. Happens in WoW all the time. The Cataclysm heroic dungeon nerfs were a perfect example; where at first they defended their position of making the dungeons deliberately much harder than in Wrath, but later came out and said they weren't intended to be THAT hard and denied that any of the couple of dozen changes being nerfs (although they clearly were) and instead insisted they were "hotfixes."

Personally, the terms aren't mutually exclusive really. A nerf is that somehow weakens or makes an particular mechanic or element undesirable.

Deleted
    Cata heroics combined with the new healing "philosophies" that blizzard implemented, meant that the dungeons were pretty damn hard, and almost every healing class besides the Paladin were buffed a few times while the paladin saw its usual amount of nerfs.

In MoP there wont be a new healing "Philosopy" - so we kinda know what to expect, though some may find it difficult in the beginning due to the almost insanely easy DS patch dungeons, the so called HoT's.

Ps. The reason why I marked out philosopy is because blizzard do have a tendency to use the word, everytime they change something, that doesnt really needs to be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    i imagine they will when the fixes stop nerfing the class...... did you really not make that connection?

in this cases the fixes "are" the nerfs, making it really confusing for people like you. the things that are being fixed are nerfing the classes. Many of us, who have extended experience with online lingo, simply refer to them as nerfs.

I really do not know how we are supposed to compete with a development team that is actively trying to prevent us from progressing in the game. When they not only have the ability to scale up the difficulty of the monsters and bosses but also the ability to break/remove our heros skills, there simply is no way to beat them, you can only get ahead for a few hours b4 they break you again and its back to grinding gold for new gear for the next build, which they will break hours after its implementation.

why are none of the broken magic stats being fixed like life leach or life on hit?

it would appear the focus is not on fixing the game but rather it is on making sure that we are unable to progress. Apparently the only "intended" way to play in inferno is to facetank it, and apparently that is what developers were doing when they originally tuned the game. the clear fallacy in this idea is that to acquire the gear to facetank any given act of inferno you need exceptional gear from later acts of inferno, thus leaving the only option of buying the gear from the RMAH. i do not want to take part in this type of scam and am thus hoping to return my copy of the game.
    Last edited by Mixon; 2012-05-25 at 01:46 PM.

To be fair, it was a bit silly to kill the butcher without having him move... or farm acts 3-4 without ever getting hit

but I am not sure on the route i should take now for my skill set up on my Wizard

Deleted
    This was stupid, and was even more stupid with many wizard doing it. The living elemental rune had the same proc chance per crit that magic missile had (and magic missile only hit once, while living elemental hit like 50 times).

This is probably due to how many time they changed skills during the beta process and that at some point the living elemental rune was probably doing it's damage in another way.

Inferno is still doable as a wizard and will still require you to avoid contact as much as possible, you'll probably never be able to "facetank" as a wizard

They keep nerfing our defensive abilities but what they seem to be over looking is that the wizard class is resorting to these extreme measures "because" of its lack of damage mitigation and heavy reliance on making effective use of defensive abilities.

If they would add some base mitigation to the class and some standard defensive cool downs like every other class the wizard class would not have to resort to min/maxing there defense skills trying to get enough out of them to survive.

but like i said there goal is not to "fix" anything but rather to limit progression prior to the RMAH release.

any build that is currently OP should be broken by blizzard tbh, you are supposed to die in inferno, not breeze through it. im glad they fixed the energy armor tank and this now.

A wizard killed INFERNO difficulty Diablo in <2 minutes.

Nerf was justified.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

So how are people supposed to make HC Inferno achiev? It's in the game so it's intended. I'm saying it just overall, not even going to try this.

you do it the way you are supposed to - by farming and gearing up from tier to tier and progressing, not using a gimmick to kill bosses.

furthermore, im pretty sure the reason RMAH is delayed is so blizzard can sort out all of these cheese builds and buggy setups to make sure fair item acquisition for the RMAH. although people probably already have full stashes of items to sell for the RMAH.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannyl View Post
    Well, Blizzard has a tendency to play with words a little bit. Whenever they "fix" something, they like to say "it wasn't intended to work this way," just avoid admitting to a real mistake or miscalculation. Happens in WoW all the time. The Cataclysm heroic dungeon nerfs were a perfect example; where at first they defended their position of making the dungeons deliberately much harder than in Wrath, but later came out and said they weren't intended to be THAT hard and denied that any of the couple of dozen changes being nerfs (although they clearly were) and instead insisted they were "hotfixes."
    What a load of garbage. The dungeon nerfs were never promoted as fixes to broken mechanics. That's just you imagining things.

this was a bug fix, not a nerf.

how is it?

it bugged with a certain few spells which made it proc insanely high, some guy managed to exploit this and kept diablo on inferno mode perma frozen with frost nova (as critical mass kept reseting its cooldown) which just made it easy mode

see here (think its koreans version of youtube, its safe to my knowledge):

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDAxODk2ODEy.html

so please stop screaming "nerf" when its clearly a bug fix!

It's absolutely atrocious now, having crit mass in any build atm is 100% useless. Just tried it out for myself :/

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nerf (lol the first example is about Blizzard)

Seriously, go read the definition if you don't know the word . I'm not saying they're not fixing stuff, but making ability weaker is a nerf anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    What a load of garbage. The dungeon nerfs were never promoted as fixes to broken mechanics. That's just you imagining things.
    In fact they were. Believe it was Bashiok who actually came out, in response to forum posts objecting to the nerfs, saying that "he sees very few nerfs on the list."

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceDuck View Post
    this was a bug fix, not a nerf.

how is it?

it bugged with a certain few spells which made it proc insanely high, some guy managed to exploit this and kept diablo on inferno mode perma frozen with frost nova (as critical mass kept reseting its cooldown) which just made it easy mode

see here (think its koreans version of youtube, its safe to my knowledge):

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDAxODk2ODEy.html

so please stop screaming "nerf" when its clearly a bug fix!

Yes, that definitely seems unintended.