Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Should there be a FAT Tax(not on food but on the person)

Idea, I believe with the growing obesity situation that a tax on fat people should be implemented. This will make these people actually do something about their situation and stop been burdens on society.
    The tax would be taken directly from their income and would only be stopped once they have proven to a medical doctor that they are a healthy weight and have stayed that way for greater than 6 months. Of course they would receive refunds on this tax for things such as sports equipment, gym memberships etc.. as well as free healthy eating pamphlets.
    We all know that when people are taxed highly for something unnecessary the majority will change their habits and if not their increased tax should cover their extra medical bills.

Please do not bring "its my genes" debate as for 99% of people this is utter rubbish.

Deleted
    It's in my genes.
    What now?

My sister in law actually has a disorder that causes her to be a bit overweight though. This seems a little harsh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendou
    Also, Kodo is on fire. Bad Taurens! Fire bad for Kodo! Oh look it's dead now....oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadora View Post
    Blizzard, HOW DARE YOU! How dare you spend precious development time making a new, interesting feature and then turn around and try to make money off said development time. I AM ENTITLED TO EVERYTHING YOU EVER MAKE FOR FREE BECAUSE I BOUGHT THAT GAME THAT ONE TIME.
    Credit goes to Chris Hanel of The Daily Blink for the beautiful avatar picture.

Quote Originally Posted by turskanaattori View Post
    It's in my genes.
    What now?
    you get taxed

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is the worst idea ever. Please provide some proof for them being a burden on society.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBeardedOne View Post
    you get taxed
    No, in fact, I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Popcorn View Post
    This is the worst idea ever. Please provide some proof for them being a burden on society.
    http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b.../pages/Obesity
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/obe...-1225835388830

What about medications that people take that make them gain and retain weight? A lot of drugs have this side effect and people need them to be healthy, function, or stay alive in some cases. Even some birth controls will make women gain weight.

you get taxed
    Exactly - because hitting a dog every time it doesn't jump through a hoop is the perfect way of training.

Those old fashion ways of rewarding success are just old wives tails.

Or maybe you should just let people live how they want to.
    I'd much rather see a tax on jerks....to encourage them to be nicer.
    Or maybe tax the lazy people who don't have jobs. (aside from the disabled) They're much more of a burden on society than fat people.
    Or maybe let people pay their own medical bills, so that if they're fat, they can deal with it themselves.

More government in people's lives has never worked well.

wouldn't pass to even come to be.
    However, My mother for instance, after giving birth to me started gaining weight, now shes been diagnosed with Hoshimoto's(i think that one was the cause) that due to the chemical imbalances causes her pmsing to be off the charts bad, and her to gain weight, its not curable if i recall but can be kept in check, she therefore has a medical condition that causes her to be large.
    It was that or the IUD that she got, don't remember which, and its 2am so not asking.

but hey while we're at it, lets tax old people, blind people, wounded vets, deaf people, mentally challenged people, anyone with diabetes, heck lets even tax those with cancer, I mean they're all a burden on society aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Vainglorious View Post
    Or maybe you should just let people live how they want to.
    I'd much rather see a tax on jerks....to encourage them to be nicer.
    Or maybe tax the lazy people who don't have jobs. (aside from the disabled) They're much more of a burden on society than fat people.
    Or maybe let people pay their own medical bills, so that if they're fat, they can deal with it themselves.

More government in people's lives has never worked well.
    19, unemployed 4 months now, job market isn't looking for people with no experience, but nice to know i should get taxed for money I don't have because nobody wants to hire me.

Fat people are kind of like smokers who aren't looking to quit. They can't comprehend why it's a bad thing, or that their disability hurts others in the pocket after it hurts their well-being. People are not naturally fat. Someone with a "genetic-disorder" should be medicated and not attempting to live a lifestyle that prevents them from exercising (ie: with my job & kids, I don't have time to work-out!).

This thread should probably be deleted before it becomes a flame-war; fat people in denial don't in fact have mental issues, and see it as a personal attack on them.

This is coming from a paediatrician.

Idea, I believe with the growing obesity situation that a tax on fat people should be implemented. This will make these people actually do something about their situation and stop been burdens on society.
    The tax would be taken directly from their income and would only be stopped once they have proven to a medical doctor that they are a healthy weight and have stayed that way for greater than 6 months. Of course they would receive refunds on this tax for things such as sports equipment, gym memberships etc.. as well as free healthy eating pamphlets.
    We all know that when people are taxed highly for something unnecessary the majority will change their habits and if not their increased tax should cover their extra medical bills.

Please do not bring "its my genes" debate as for 99% of people this is utter rubbish.
    Nah. All the fast food chains would higher lobbyists to convince the government to create loopholes like they did for the corporations and the rich so the Fat people would end up paying less taxes than the skinny people.

Quote Originally Posted by KeirAdish View Post
    wouldn't pass to even come to be.
    However, My mother for instance, after giving birth to me started gaining weight, now shes been diagnosed with Hoshimoto's(i think that one was the cause) that due to the chemical imbalances causes her pmsing to be off the charts bad, and her to gain weight, its not curable if i recall but can be kept in check, she therefore has a medical condition that causes her to be large.
    It was that or the IUD that she got, don't remember which, and its 2am so not asking.

but hey while we're at it, lets tax old people, blind people, wounded vets, deaf people, mentally challenged people, anyone with diabetes, heck lets even tax those with cancer, I mean they're all a burden on society aren't they?
    None off these were caused by eating to much unhealthy food and not exercising, also your mother should adjust her diet and start exercising properly inline with her medical conditions instead of hiding behind it as an excuse
    Last edited by TheBeardedOne; 2012-05-26 at 06:08 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RH exact View Post
    Fat people are kind of like smokers who aren't looking to quit. They can't comprehend why it's a bad thing, or that their disability hurts others in the pocket after it hurts their well-being. People are not naturally fat. Someone with a "genetic-disorder" should be medicated and not attempting to live a lifestyle that prevents them from exercising (ie: with my job & kids, I don't have time to work-out!).

This thread should probably be deleted before it becomes a flame-war; fat people in denial don't in fact have mental issues, and see it as a personal attack on them.

This is coming from a paediatrician.
    I am fat, I have mental issues and I know that I am a useless sack of meat that doesn't contribute to anything but lives off of others.

But you know what? I don't care.

wouldnt it be easier to let them consume until they kill themselves? burden completely removed, and no one has to argue about it. thats a better sign to others to lose weight than taking their pizza money.

while we are at it, rename the country to Sparta, and kill every weak and disabled child that are born.

None off these were caused by eating to much unhealthy food and not exercising
    Neither is all "fatness"

While we're at it, let's add extra taxes on alcoholics, drug users, depressed people, poor people, smokers, the chronically ill, the list goes on...

People with problems aren't a burden on society. Just because it's socially acceptable to rag on fat people as opposed to anybody else with some kind of issue doesn't mean they're a burden on society and should pay extra money for it.

They should put a tax on stupid posts.

10+ Year Old Account
    And while we are at it lets tax smokers, drinkers, addicts, the sick, the poor, the mentally handicap, woman, children, and men because they are "burdens on society". The government is not in the business making decisions for grown adults.