Thread: Range vs. Melee

Range vs. Melee

I've been seeing a lot of theses posts in treads lately how melee are getting shafted and ranged have it so easy. Well that is simply not true. The difficulty jump from act 1 inferno to act 2 inferno is like the jump from normal mode to hell. People saying that all you have to do is kite around everything all day to kill it. Well umm, hello? That's all ranged can do, we get one shot by pretty much everything. As a ranged class you build pure damage because health is so useless as a ranged what good is an extra 20k hp? 1/2 of a hit? If you don't kite shit flawlessly you are going to die, period, and Good luck fighting jailers. Just made this post to inform some of the people that ranged don't have it as easy as some might think..

10+ Year Old Account
    its so easy as ranged because melees getting killed as fastg as ranged in inferno act 2 and above and a melee cant do 30k+ dps on range, we cite them around an half hour to kill them because we can only do damage for about three second every 30 seonds or even longer and then we do far less damage then a range.

so a range is more easy then a melee.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Basso View Post
    its so easy as ranged because melees getting killed as fastg as ranged in inferno act 2 and above and a melee cant do 30k+ dps on range, we cite them around an half hour to kill them because we can only do damage for about three second every 30 seonds or even longer and then we do far less damage then a range.

In act 4 Barbarians can surive a couple of hits that would oneshot every range. I've got to agree though that it was easier as ranged up to inferno

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aboriginal View Post
    In act 4 Barbarians can surive a couple of hits that would oneshot every range. I've got to agree though that it was easier as ranged up to inferno
    a couple of hits with all his cooldowns and then he need to run in circles for a minute.....
    and in this 5 secondes he survives the hits he does less damage then every range who just kitem them around

Deleted
    Having the somewhat rare point of view of having both my barbarian as well as my demon hunter in inferno act 2 right now, I have to say it's not exactly a cakewalk for the demon hunter, while it is still possible to advance. Normal monsters I can kill from afar with the demon hunter, and as such I can do the quests and get further, unless I run into a champion pack or a rare boss. On my barbarian, since I don't have 900 resistance gear worth tens of millions of gold, I can't really kill the flies or the fire jar throwing cats since both of those oneshot or twoshot me.

So, it is true that it is easier for ranged to get further in the game.

Having said that, champion packs and rare bosses are incredibly hard for the demon hunter as well, seeing as though the game decides to choose mortar, teleporter, vortex, invulnerable minions and other "anti-ranged" abilities for almost every pack I meet. The mortar hits would require again a 900+ resistance set to survive, and I just don't have that; rare are those who do. What I end up doing is kite as much as I can with my root/snare caltrops and survive for as long as I can with my survivability abilities, while bursting as much damage as I can with my shots. Then I die. Then I wait to res and I repeat this, either some half a dozen to a dozen times, or I end up logging out because I just can't kill the pack.

To sum it up: yes, it's easiER for ranged. No, it's not easY.

a couple of hits with all his cooldowns and then he need to run in circles for a minute.....
    and in this 5 secondes he survives the hits he does less damage then every range who just kitem them around
    Until the range gets 1 shot and has to run back and try and kite better, a melee can make mistakes. Ranged cannot. Alteast a witchdoctor can't(what I play)

I am getting oneshotted by everything as my DH in act 3. I have to dodge every single projectile going my way, all the spears arrows and quills, so it's quite challenging.

So far I don't have a lot of issues on my DH in inferno. I've got ~60% reduction from armor, all resists over 25%, and ~50% from physical resist with 33% dodge and 15% chance to block 2.8-5k damage. Using a 1H crossbow and shield still maintaining 20.5k damage on the stats screen.

The only major problems I have are with reflect damage and immune minions affixed mobs. (thus far in Act III Inf.)

10+ Year Old Account
    "But you can do a lot of damage while kiting" doesn't translate to easier when half of the monsters are literally un-kite-able.