Thread: Suicide Threats

Suicide Threats

Are they being reported through the proper channels? I'm baffled as to why something like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Jersovic View Post
    Everytime I'm feeling depressed I am too scared to shoot myself. Is it just me, or do you have to be pretty brave to actually commit suicide??
    Goes without action, even as far as having mods post in the thread.

Link to thread:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...is-for-cowards
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Why should they be reported to anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    Why should they be reported to anywhere?
    Because when someone declares they want to kill themselves to someone else (or a community in this example), they put the responsibility of their (possible) death on the hands of their audience.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Its a weird situation because something should probably be done but saying it puts their death in our hands is ridiculous.

Unless there's immediate danger, we will not report. We acted a few times on really urgent issues but usually we can only offer help that's about it.

Sadly, you also have to take other considerations in it. To report someone we have to breach a shitton of privacy policies, etc, if we get someone in trouble because of that it's likely that he will be pissed at us, etc ... We're always working on a thin line especially on a MMO forum where our target demographics is slightly more depressed than ... I don't know, a corgis owners forums, who I assume are the happiest people in the world.

We act when necessary, but we can hardly report a guy who's creating a thread about how he's not killing himself and send the cops to his door for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
    Its a weird situation because something should probably be done but saying it puts their death in our hands is ridiculous.
    Oh please, I'm not trying to make it dramatic. I'm just saying, that's what suicide threats do in the no matter what way you spin it.

Person A to Person B: I'm going to kill myself (or) I'm considering killing myself.

Person B has either the choice to intervene and try to help, or they don't. So yeah, in the end the person(s) on the listening end will always ultimately be the deciding factor if Person A is truly suicidal.

build pics

Deleted
    You can just look at it as suicide is a personal decision and that everyone is responsible for themselves. If such threats happen online it's not same as in irl. Mods can always delete comments like "I'll kill myself nao" and not do much to stuff like "I sometimes think of suicide".

10+ Year Old Account
    My stock response to suicide threats:

In real life: Call for help, hold them back, whatever I have to do up to physical restraint to stop them doing something horrible to themselves.

Online: "OK. Have fun. Can I have your stuff?"

It's not our job to prevent the self-darwination of attention-seeking internet strangers. You sleep a whole lot better at that night once you realise that.

And yes, I do have some personal experience in dealing with this.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    My stock response to suicide threats:

In real life: Call for help, hold them back, whatever I have to do up to physical restraint to stop them doing something horrible to themselves.

Online: "OK. Have fun. Can I have your stuff?"

It's not our job to prevent the self-darwination of attention-seeking internet strangers. You sleep a whole lot better at that night once you realise that.

And yes, I do have some personal experience in dealing with this.
    Yada yada yada yada, it's not your job, but if you can do something about it you should think twice instead of dismissing it as internet BS. There's a middle ground between losing sleep thinking about it, and not doing shit.

Anyway, response given, thread closed.