Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I'm sure your hdd/ssd setup would be fine then. It's when you start using it like it's a hdd is when you might want to swap it around. Doesn't using the ssd as if it were a hdd shorten its lifespan? That was always my impression. I know what you mean about messing with laptops and as Mythricia said, they can just be a pain to get into. It all depends on how the case itself is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythricia View Post
    Looks great. Although yeah like said above, it's probably better to buy the thermal compound yourself and apply it - if you're used to desktops, it's the same deal. As long as you can safely get inside the laptop without trouble, at least... I hate mucking about with those things, too many damn screws!

Anyway personally I'd try the temps with the normal thermal paste first - if the temps are fine, there's no reason to tamper with it.

Edit

That is going to give you a lot more performance than using an SSD for cache. SSD caching is a lesser solution. I use a 60Gb SSD for Windows + programs, a 128Gb SSD for games, and HDD's for all storage (I don't even use the "My Documents" folder personally, but Windows allows you to relocate that folder to a different drive, if you so wish).

This way you always have SSD performance, pretty much no matter what you're doing. SSD caching will always fail to predict certain things you're trying to do and leave you waiting. The only time I have storage issues on my main drive is when I forget to clean up my desktop from downloads and large files I left there temporarily.
    Yeah, I guess I'll pull off the paste and see how it goes.
    If it is very similar to desktops I could easily do it myself then.
    -$35

With Sager and dumping Alienware this will save me $1,414.93 total.

And I never had a time I could try / find out. Can i use my copy of Windows 7 Pro on more then one machine since I own the copy or does Microsoft frown on that?
    If I can I could save a little bit more cash.

You'll have to buy another copy of windows, sadly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tekk88 View Post
    I'm sure your hdd/ssd setup would be fine then. It's when you start using it like it's a hdd is when you might want to swap it around. Doesn't using the ssd as if it were a hdd shorten its lifespan? That was always my impression. I know what you mean about messing with laptops and as Mythricia said, they can just be a pain to get into. It all depends on how the case itself is.
    Looking at the pictures of the bottom it looks like it *should* be easy to get into.

---------- Post added 2012-05-27 at 10:02 PM ----------

You'll have to buy another copy of windows, sadly.
    Oh well was worth a shot lol.
    I picked the Win 7 Pro anyway on spec's.

HIGHLY recommend powernotebooks.com I have bought 3 laptops from these guys and it's been nothing but a pleasure every time.

Quote Originally Posted by FearXI View Post
    Looking at the pictures of the bottom it looks like it *should* be easy to get into.

---------- Post added 2012-05-27 at 10:02 PM ----------

Oh well was worth a shot lol.
    I picked the Win 7 Pro anyway on spec's.
    The case does look easy to get into. I see they do have the bottom labeled out under Gallery. Looks like you have access to everything. That subwoofer is awesome lol Also +1 on the speakers being on the top, not on the bottom!
    Last edited by tekk88; 2012-05-28 at 02:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The case does look easy to get into. I see they do have the bottom labeled out under Gallery. Looks like you have access to everything. That subwoofer is awesome lol Also +1 on the speakers being on the top, not on the bottom!
    Yeah i agree.
    So many laptops I looked at but the one really turned me off because the reviews everyone was saying how bad the speakers were and that they were also on the bottom lol.

http://www.doghousesystems.com/Produ...=Mobius_TL_675

If you use the code henry at checkout they'll double the ram for free.

Yeah i agree.
    So many laptops I looked at but the one really turned me off because the reviews everyone was saying how bad the speakers were and that they were also on the bottom lol.
    My gf has a Sager with the speakers on the bottom - its her biggest complaint about the thing. She turns it upside sometimes

10+ Year Old Account
    My gf has a Sager with the speakers on the bottom - its her biggest complaint about the thing. She turns it upside sometimes
    I'm seeing a lot of bad reviews on Sager now that I'm looking deeper into the company since I never heard of them before.
    Does your girlfriend have problems with the laptop and how long has she had it for?

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/view/Sager/page/2

It's actually very disheartening indeed, I thought I was done looking around.
    Now I'm a little worried.

I personally love both Ibuypower and Digital Storm

ibuypower.com/IbpPages/Notebook.aspx
    digitalstormonline.com/gaminglaptops.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Mythricia View Post
    I've seen a brand new Alienware spend over 1 minute attempting to boot. My 9 year old Packard Bell boots in 13 seconds on a clean but software populated OS, and that's with a 5400o/min HDD. That says enough as far as I'm concerned.
    I find this hard to believe.

Also OP have you tried http://www.xoticpc.com/?
    Last edited by lockedout; 2012-05-28 at 02:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I find this hard to believe.

Also OP have you tried http://www.xoticpc.com/?
    No I haven't checking them out now.
    Thanks

I'm seeing a lot of bad reviews on Sager now that I'm looking deeper into the company since I never heard of them before.
    Does your girlfriend have problems with the laptop and how long has she had it for?

She has no problems currently. Its about 3 years old now, no more than 4. She did have a problem with it at first, not gonna lie. There was a line that appeared vertically down the right side of the monitor. There was something wrong with how the monitor was contacting because you could press on the plastic border of the monitor and it would go away. Sent it in and they fixed it, nothing bad since then. Just the luck of the draw I guess. Can't always make everyone happy, just read and look at what the majority of the reviews say.
    Last edited by tekk88; 2012-05-28 at 03:59 AM.

And bear in mind when reading reviews on the internet, they are like any other form of communicating on the internet. Some people will over react, most often only those with something bad to say speak up so ALL you see is the whatever percent of bad experiences not the larger percentage of good ones, some people will post bad reviews with ulterior motives (ie. what can I get out of the company)

First up - Don't be afraid by the fact that it's a laptop, they're the same insides just more compact.

I felt the same way, until a work colleague's daughter dropped a bowling ball on her laptop (don't ask, i didn't) and I was asked to go on a salvage mission. I ripped it apart not knowing what to expect, and other than some funky cooling pipes it was all pretty stock standard; just smaller. Same general rule of thumb when working on a desktop, keep all your shit organized and don't lose screws. You'll be fine.

I recently bought an Asus laptop (parents were buying a laptop on a BOGOF offer at Domayne in australia, I payed $500 for them to get a higher spec laptop and picked up the free one). I love it, 8GB Ram, i7 CPU, 2GB Graphics card, I use it more than my desktop. Runs wow, diablo3, SC2, Space Marine, etc all on full graphics with no noticeable FPS issues. Not to mention the built in fingerprint scanner is fantastic for firing up different things quickly. Scan any finger to enter the laptop, and each finger does different things. Index: Fires up chrome with MMO-Champ, Facebook and Youtube in the tabs, Middle finger: fires up D3 Pinky: Fires up WoW etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Go put some pants on.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    edit after reading the OPs wise change of heart.
    Last edited by jmacphee9; 2012-05-28 at 07:58 AM.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

15+ Year Old Account
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/view/Sager/page/2

What else do you expect from a site that only unsatisfied customers go to? Look at Alienware's page...

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Alienware

Dear god, that's 5x worse!
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics