Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I feel like it's the nature of melee classes that they are harder to play. That's why I prefere ranged and play melee only when I want the extra challenge.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    If you get resists (800 for act 2, 1k for further) you can chainpull 3 elite packs just like Kripparrian does on his stream with a Barb. If you don't have the gear then go farm. Then you won't care about any affix at all.

As a person who leveled a Monk and then joined DH forces (Act2 atm), it isn't exactly a picnic either, if you compared BiS Barb and BiS DH then the Barb will have bettter time because he won't be killable while the DH has to play flawlesly, melee swing from a random mob, doesn't even need to be elite, will get you. And you do have Smoke Screen (immunity/root break) obviously but you have to predict what's gonna happen, doesn't really save you afterwards.

As for the talk about affixes,
    - Jailer, Vortex are annoying but we have Vault, that's kinda OK
    - Mortar is fine too, just avoid it
    - but... try to kill something that either goes invunerable or, even worse, has inv. minions that stay that way unless you kill the main mob. No way, reset the game, gg.
    - Fast affix mobs are another thing, traps have very reduced effect in later Inferno, pretty horrible
    - Reflects Damage - the best for last. Try killing these with 40k DPS and 20k HP )

Yeah a couple of people have brought it up but watch the streams of some melee guys who have insane gear. From everything we have seen (which obviously isn't all that much) when you do get to the absolute best of the best gear melee do function as they are intended and can pretty handily solo inferno champion packs without that much trouble. I honestly just think at the moment the problem is the fact that being undergeared has more of an effect on melee guys since they are at more risk of taking a hit than a ranged guy.

Its not so much that they are harder to play or 'worse', just that they are really gear dependent since they need to take the hits and ranged can just avoid it all if they can't take a hit or two.

Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    - Reflects Damage - the best for last. Try killing these with 40k DPS and 20k HP )
    Back before the nerfs - 60k damage and <10k hp. It wasn't quite 1shotting myself but it was damn close XD

Total balance isn't as easy as some of you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Also I shouldnt have to use a damn shield.
    I keep reading this and I don't understand:
    if a shield wasn't necessary, who would ever use a shield (considering that it reduces your dps)?
    why have shields in the game at all?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by meheez View Post
    I can't stand playing a ranged class tbh, constantly having to run away from mobs kinda feels like an extra unnecessary and unpleasant mechanic. Monk ftw.
    Well, get to act 2 in Inferno mode. Sure enough, you'll be running around and kiting just like those ranged you're bashing.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by florestan View Post
    I keep reading this and I don't understand:
    if a shield wasn't necessary, who would ever use a shield (considering that it reduces your dps)?
    why have shields in the game at all?
    There's a difference in being forced to use one and choosing to use one.

Shields are okay, if they would just not be forced onto people. If I want any hope of surviving in Act II Inferno, I have to use a shield or get ridiculous amounts of defensive stats to compensate.

Shields should be there for people who wants to tank and build very tanky. I don't mind having to build pretty tanky... But downright being forced to use a specific type of item is just bad game design.

Also, 2-handed weapons aren't necessary. You can get just as high DPS with two one-handers, so why have 2-handers in the game at all? Your logic is flawed.
    Last edited by Riboe; 2012-05-28 at 06:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

Quote Originally Posted by Riboe View Post
    Shields should be there for people who wants to tank and build very tanky. I don't mind having to build pretty tanky... But downright being forced to use a specific type of item is just bad game design.

Also, 2-handed weapons aren't necessary. You can get just as high DPS with two one-handers, so why have 2-handers in the game at all? Your logic is flawed.
    2 handed weapon or MH+OH doesn't make a big difference rgd your capabilities - it's mostly cosmetic.

If the choice was between (a) use a shield and lose some dps or (b) use two weapons and be forced into kiting on elite packs I would understand.

But what i don't understand is why anyone would want to use a tanky build if he can tank the content without shield just fine (maybe if he is undergeared? other than that no idea). And that state of affairs seems to be your goal - there would be no trade-off (tanking vs kiting) or indifference (2H vs MH+OH) just "better" (dual wield) and "worse" (shield).
    Last edited by florestan; 2012-05-28 at 08:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sigh. Just... sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Do you know I had to ditch my favorite spells because I wanted to be viable in Nightmare?
    I had to sacrifice tons of dps, just so I could survive mobs.
    What is the difference between what ranged have to do and melee?
    No, just no. You can make it through nightmare using the autoattack you started with at level 1. Nightmare is just Normal all over again nothing gets harder.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Konik View Post
    get 1000 all resist + good gear and you roflstomp as a barb

check kripp's stream and see for yourself
    it takes allot of treasure gobling spamming to get ahold of gear that well, so soon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nancypants2012 View Post
    Except that's wrong. They eventually want to add arena, so that means they will have to balance things accordingly. Also it's not a singleplayer game, it's a multiplayer game that you can play solo. Unless they add an offline mode ( and that's very unlikely ) then it will be considered a singleplayer game.
    Pretty damn sure Blizz stated they were not going to balance arena, and that it was just going to be a side thing in the game NOT a serious part of progression goals, and no ladders or competion or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by enohpi View Post
    it takes allot of treasure gobling spamming to get ahold of gear that well, so soon
    impossible to do that now. His whole crew exploited the chest in Act II inferno and traded loot. I remember watching the WD on his team farm it for hours and even live streamed it. Thats why all 4 of the people he leveled with have pretty much BiS gear along with 8-12 million gold.

If Blizzard's idea of balanced melee is being geared like Kripp then we are all screwed or they hope we have high limits on our credit cards.

It might be different if you are doing multiplayer and have someone tanking for you, but my monk seems way stronger than my wizard so far. Only thing I've died to so far on my monk is server lag.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    I ment Hell obviously..
    Which class? Because DH's are stupid easy mode, leveled a barb to 60 geared a little bit decided I didn't want to spend 4 days gearing when I can reroll a DH, and gear out both in the same amount of time. Just started Inferno on the DH, it is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier as a DH (Act 1).

Edit: Only thing remotely "Inferno" about the DH is a 900 damage Xbow, while the barb is full Act 1 Inferno geared almost 550 resist (825 with shout), and if champions are dark zerkers or those Hulks, they fuck me up. Having to Dodge each Dark Zerker Enrage hit (Axe turns red, slams down and gets stuck when he misses), all while managing some symbol of DPS is a pain in the ass. DH I just build up Sharpshooter, drop trap, spam Elemental Arrow (Nethering Tendrils or whatever it's called), and profit. If you're feeling really lazy, find a long hallway line with traps pull and profit, DH are stupid. /sigh
    Last edited by Todgruppe; 2012-05-29 at 07:19 AM.
    "Oh, wretched ephemeral race, children of chance and misery, why do you compel me to tell you what it would be more expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach; not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is --- to die soon." Silenus