Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

ELECTIVE MODE - All the spells!

Hello everyone, So Diablo 3 has been out for about a week now and I'm still seeing ALOT of people asking me how I'm using 2-3 spells from the same skill menu. I know some people do know how to do this, If so disregard this thread, And some people don't want to turn it on fair enough. This thread is for the people who do not know about Elective mode or do not know how to turn it on.

1) Hit Escape > Options > Gameplay > Interface.

2) Open your skill page select the skill slot you want to change and scroll left or right to find the spell you want.

3) Bob's your uncle!

As you can see, I have all 4 defensive spells up at once time!

15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly surprised that people didn't know about this. Been seeing a lot of it pop up in Hell+ games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    Honestly surprised that people didn't know about this. Been seeing a lot of it pop up in Hell+ games.
    Yeah, I've even had a few IRL friends not knowing about it and some of them are up to Hell. Should be turned on by Default imo.

Its amazing how few people take the three seconds it takes to explore the menus to find stuff like this. Really funny when people bitch about something they can do they just are either to laszy or to dumb to realize they can do something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I think the interface needs a small tweak or two. Maybe I'm just used to WoW >_>

Still decent interface though.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Cool, did not notice this. Thanks.

I'll go ahead and take the hit on this one, I am one of those guys that knew about everything you just put in here
    except 1 thing....the arrow keys. For some reason I didn't "get" that part of the equation, and thus I still
    had not figured out how to do this until your post. So hey, you at least helped 1 dumb guy by posting this -

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had this enabled since Beta, but never really needed it, until I reached level 54..
    I've switched my Earthquake out and opted Ground Stomp in..

It's a nice feature, but nothing game breaking to not use..

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    I've had this enabled since Beta, but never really needed it, until I reached level 54..
    I've switched my Earthquake out and opted Ground Stomp in..

It's a nice feature, but nothing game breaking to not use..

Nothing gamebreaking? I think it IS gamebreaking if you cannot use most of the spells (and their combinations)

All the spells. All of them

Luckily i read about it before the game was released. I dont think people are dumb if they dont explore every single game option before they begin a game, or read game forums thoroughly. given how few people know about this important feature just shows how poorly blizzard implemented it. the whole skill sceen should have been much better arranged and a non-elective mode shouldnt even exist

10+ Year Old Account
    How can you start a game without browsing the options first i really don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    How can you start a game without browsing the options first i really don't get it.
    It's hard to see when you've been playing games for forever and learned that habit for all games. People completely new to games and even people who have been playing for a few years now haven't figured out the benefits of that habit yet. I remember back when D2 came out I wasn't doing that yet, played forever with shitty resolution (i started playing D2 during LOD). Some people also just don't care want to play noooooow, then they get used to the game and forgot the options are even there.

Also, should just sticky this to the top of the D3 forums so the thread stops coming up every few days. Not that I have a problem with it since it's so useful and people just don't know. This is the most useful one that has come up since it actually shows how to do it.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2012-05-24 at 07:54 AM.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    My friend was on act 2 of Inferno mode when he found out. I guess he spends too much time in the game, and not enough time reading forums. lol!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I have known about the option since beta, but I kind of enjoy the challenge of using one spell from each designated class.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersovic View Post
    My friend was on act 2 of Inferno mode when he found out. I guess he spends too much time in the game, and not enough time reading forums. lol!!
    no, he was not. or maybe he was, chain-dying during the first quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepfriedegg View Post
    Nothing gamebreaking? I think it IS gamebreaking if you cannot use most of the spells (and their combinations)
    It's not gamebreaking, even if it is limiting. I'm currently halfway through Act 3 on Hell with a build that doesn't utilize elective mode. I exclusively use one ability per category, and I'm making decent progress. So it's by no means impossible to play without it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    I also don't read the manual

More things to find out in a game -> Bang for Buck, YEAH!

Deleted
    Thanks for that very helpful and informative post OP I have to say that I overlooked that small checkbox in the menus too. I then saw a few builds on the diablo forums that contained multiple skills and I then asked for advice.

It is really hard to actually realize that this is such an important feature and it can easiliy be missed.

This option should either be on all the time, or the switch should be on the skills tab :/
    Blizz really fucked up here, there are lots of people who not only know about it, but call others cheaters/fakers when they see vids/picks.. Everyday someone yells "lol shpped 2 def abilities looloolol"... :/ Big fail in UI design :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!