Deleted

Why is chocolate sticky?

I just ate some chocolate out of the fridge that wasn't covered and I'm starting to feel like surgery maybe required to remove it from my hand.

Why, oh why, Does chocolate get so damn sticky when you leave it uncovered in a fridge or (to a lesser extent) air?

And why does just putting a piece of wrapper over it stop this problem entirely?

Science, Religious, Ethical, I don't care where I get an answer from I'll take literally anything you can give me.

Deleted
    Oxygen effects different substances differently (from metals to food). Its likely the access to the air setting off a slow reaction causing it to change.

Quote Originally Posted by spaza511 View Post
    I just ate some chocolate out of the fridge that wasn't covered and I'm starting to feel like surgery maybe required to remove it from my hand.

Why, oh why, Does chocolate get so damn sticky when you leave it uncovered in a fridge or (to a lesser extent) air?

And why does just putting a piece of wrapper over it stop this problem entirely?

Science, Religious, Ethical, I don't care where I get an answer from I'll take literally anything you can give me.

Look at the ingredient list on the back.

If you see "semen" in the top five, you may want to move on.

Off the top of my head and how I suppose it works: It's because of its specific chemical make up that cause the charges within chocolate to have an attraction to each molecule causing it to have sticky properties.
    Last edited by Runeweaver; 2012-05-28 at 03:36 PM.

Deleted
    I do believe it's because a) chocolate contains a lot of sugar, b) condensation, i.e. water, forms on the surface of cold things exposed to warmer air, and c) water dissolves sugar but not cocoa butter and such. The condensation starts to dissolve the sugar in the chocolate, effectively coating the chocolate with a sticky sugar syrup type solution.

Deleted
    God is punishing you for eating unhealthy things.

Simple as that.