Thread: Slow SSD speed

Slow SSD speed

Hi everyone,

I just bought and installed a Force GT Corsair SSD. Its rated as 555/525 MB/s read write. I just ran the HD tune program, and it's stating that I'm only getting a read of 231 MB/s.

Did I not install something correctly? That's more than half of what I should be getting! Help would be great. Thanks!

Deleted
    Your motherboard is definitely Sata3 compatable, right? If not, that is probably the issue.

Not enough information
    Are you using a SATA 3 cable?
    Do you have SATA 3?

Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou View Post
    Your motherboard is definitely Sata3 compatable, right? If not, that is probably the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Limmy View Post
    Not enough information
    Are you using a SATA 3 cable?
    Do you have SATA 3?
    Thanks for the quick responses! I have a p9x79 motherboard and it's Sata 3 compatible. The sata cable I used does not identify itself as sata 2/sata 3. So it looks like I'm going to have to buy new cables to be sure. I'll report back with test results after getting a new cable.

This is the first time I've put together a computer from scratch, and I'm now concerned that other parts may not be working as intended. Are there any other free tools like HD tune / CPU-Z I can download to benchmark my system, and ensure everything is running smoothly?
    Last edited by memetootoo; 2012-05-28 at 08:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by memetootoo View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses! I have a p9x79 motherboard and it's Sata 3 compatible.
    Check that the SSD is plugged into one of the white SATA ports. The blue ports are 3Gbps. The white ones are 6Gbps.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    There's no difference between cables. SATA is standardised and any variation in results is down to A) The benchmark B) The quality of the cable itself, and NOT C) Whether it's branded as "SATA-3".
    Just to confirm that I'm understanding correctly: The quality of sata cable matters? I was always told that the quality of sata cables matter little, and is similar to the $10 generic hdmi cables vs the $100 gold plated monster cables. If this is the case, I'll put off buying a sata 3 cable for the time being, and try using another benchmark.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bet its on a SATA 3Gbps port or a Marvell Port.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

10+ Year Old Account
    Most SSD's rely to much on compression to achieve maximum speeds.
    I have 2 force gt in raid 0 and they are lucky to even achieve the max speed of 1 drive most of the time. (both on intel sata 3 ports)
    When i first got them i ran the benchmark with them completely blank and it achieved max speeds consistently but soon as i started installing crap it was literally cut in half.

ust to confirm that I'm understanding correctly: The quality of sata cable matters?
    it doesn't matter in terms of performance. luxury cable will have same speed as cheapest one, however it will be more durable and probably last longer without bending.

No; cables don't make any difference in general. 90 degree connectors, and locking connectors are nice features.

Check your manual and make sure you're connected to the correct ports as mentioned. I'm running that same motherboard (Pro model) and a couple Intel 520 SSDs and getting the expected speeds.

Deleted
    Its not like a high quality cable will make it go double as fast. Something is up with your setup and config. Check ports and make sure your BIOS dont have any setting to control the controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Check that the SSD is plugged into one of the white SATA ports. The blue ports are 3Gbps. The white ones are 6Gbps.
    What this guy said. The only non-Intel SATA controller on this board runs the 2 eSATA ports, so you are going to get top performance from your controller. The last thing to check is if you have it set to AHCI. To do this you will need to enter BIOS, click the advanced tab and select SATA Configuration. The top option is SATA Mode. It should be set to AHCI Mode.

Changing to AHCI from IDE mode could prevent you from booting into Windows. There are fixes to this that doesn't involve reinstalling, some googling will help you.

Double and triple check cable seating - cables that are attached to a drive / board at high tension (i.e. being pulled aside) can cause i/o issues.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.