Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

EA in a Nutshell

Had to share this.

And the worst thing is that we allow it to happen by buying those games
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sad but true. I wish EA would just fold; nobody would miss them. Hell, Bioware would've probably put out a better version overall of ME3 otherwise. Was a great game, but certain points just screamed "was cut down to this for profits."

10+ Year Old Account
    The worst thing is, their income statement is still in the toilet even with this stragegy -_-
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

People cry and cry, but video games wouldn't be where they are today without EA.

They pretty much invented the modern MMO as we know it (Ultima), pioneered the sports genre, and pushed the RTS (C&C) scene forward.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    That might just be the best video on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomster View Post
    You do realize C&C was made by Westwood back when they got nothing to do with EA. And please don't tell you're talking about the garbage that came out ever since Westwood got bought by EA, starting with Tiberian Sun (I think).
    With the exception of the very first game, it's been all EA. If you don't like the games, that's all good, but every single one has gotten critical acclaim (red alert series too), with the exception of Tiberian Twilight.
    Last edited by glo; 2012-05-28 at 09:04 PM.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    People cry and cry, but video games wouldn't be where they are today without EA.

They pretty much invented the modern MMO as we know it (Ultima), pioneered the sports genre, and pushed the RTS (C&C) scene forward.
    I don't know enough about ultima to c or d your statement but I can say I could care less about the sports genre and I doubt madden every year helps the genre. Also indicating that EA is some patron of RTS games is so laughable I can't take you serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    I don't know enough about ultima to c or d your statement but I can say I could care less about the sports genre and I doubt madden every year helps the genre. Also indicating that EA is some patron of RTS games is so laughable I can't take you serious.
    You're right, you indeed don't know enough about C&C.

build pics

With the exception of the very first game, it's been all EA. If you don't like the games, that's all good, but every single one has gotten critical acclaim (red alert series too), with the exception of Tiberian Twilight.
    Westwood wasn't fully liquidated and absorbed until after Red Alert 2 had come out. EA bought them from Virgin Interactive in 1998, but had fairly little interaction with them. The majority of the Westwood employees left before the liquidation anyway, which is why the C&C series took a very noticeable downturn once they became full-fledged EA titles.

10/10

It baffles me how anyone can defend EA.
    Currently playing: Stuff
    YouTube|Hearthstone Decks|Twitter|MyAnimeList

You're right, you indeed don't know enough about C&C.
    C or D = Confirm or Deny.

Command and Conquer was one of the major RTS titles until EA got their hands on it. Gonna have to try harder if you were wanting to be clever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karosene View Post
    10/10

It baffles me how anyone can defend EA.
    Because not everyone looks at major companies and goes "Yeah, they're the spawn of the devil."

Not saying I like everything EA does. I just understand it. And not everything they do is bad, it's just that the bad always overshadows the good. In all kinds of situations. Case in point - every politicians career ever.

Even tho EA has done some good thing the company has really fucked up ethics and is constantly screwing over customers to get a few bucks here and there.

I don't think anyone would be sad to see them fall.
    Hi Sephurik

10+ Year Old Account

EQ1 set in motion the holy trinity of heal, tank, dps.
    Which was a relatively private company until SOE took them in.

EA is not a developer, they quite literally do jack and squat in terms of game development.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    EQ1 set in motion the holy trinity of heal, tank, dps.
    Which was a relatively private company until SOE took them in.

EA is not a developer, they quite literally do jack and squat in terms of game development.
    Eeeh, strictly speaking EQ1 started as a SOE/Verant co-project, then Verant splintered off because "SOEs ideas weren't in keeping with their vision." They then ran back to SOE when they started running out of money.

On the subject of EA, they're shady as hell. Every game publisher/developer is. EA is just ludicrously piss poor at hiding it.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    yes because ea is the only company to ever buy out other game companies and turn their games into mediocrity.....ever!! =)

Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    yes because ea is the only company to ever buy out other game companies and turn their games into mediocrity.....ever!! =)
    EA is pretty much still the only developer to openly admit to cutting corners on games to later release core content as DLC.

EA is still the only developer/producer to repeatedly get caught suggesting the most ludicrous things for microtransactions, such as $1 reloads in a BF3 match.

EA has the longest track record of absorbed then killed studios in the industry.

They do good, and they do bad, but their bad is a mountain of shit 6 miles high.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Video goes on for almost 5mins to say EA are good at pushing low brow product. Also makes several belabored points about review sites and consumer sophistication.

That video is the opposite of "in a nutshell".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    EA is pretty much still the only developer to openly admit to cutting corners on games to later release core content as DLC.

EA is still the only developer/producer to repeatedly get caught suggesting the most ludicrous things for microtransactions, such as $1 reloads in a BF3 match.

EA has the longest track record of absorbed then killed studios in the industry.

They do good, and they do bad, but their bad is a mountain of shit 6 miles high.
    That is something I'll concur with.

Sometimes, it does feel like EA is trying very hard to squeeze out positive sales figures, up to the point of compromizing "their" games.

On the other hand, some of the things they're supporting probably wouldn't have had the quality they have if EA wasn't throwing money into the pit.