Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Barbarian Inferno Farm Strategy Guide (Obsolete)

This guide is old but still has some good info. For a more updated look at barbarian, check my new guide:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...9#post17249989

A lot of barbarians are having issues with Inferno difficulty, because the damage scaling is so punishing to melee characters. This is happening because Inferno damage is designed around having high resists, which a lot of people don't have yet. The truth is that barbarians are the most gear dependent class in the game, so things will get easier as more gear becomes available.

In the meantime, I've spent a considerable amount of time figuring out how to farm up my own gear. From all the approaches that I've tried, by far the most successful is a tank barbarian with a lot of defensive skills. For a given level of gear, I find that using my tank build I can farm elite packs a full act above what I could using a dps build. This sucks, because it pigeonholes the barbarian into a specific build. However, I expect things to get better a month or so from now, when a lot of players will have enough gear to farm inferno act 4 and whimsyshire. Once it becomes a contest of speed rather than survivability, barbarian builds should diversify again.

Tank Barbarian:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...RXk!bcV!accZac

This build is very versatile. It can kill most elite packs, all bosses, and skip through zones. It's designed to get 5 stacks of Nephalem Valor, reach bosses and then kill them for the bonus loot.

Frenzy(Sidearm): I brought this skill because I wanted to have good single target damage for boss encounters. The Sidearm rune was chosen because it has the highest single target dps (considerably higher than Maniac in this build), while simultaneously providing a little bit of aoe damage, since the thrown axes can hit multiple enemies.

Revenge(Provocation): This skill provides the staying power when you're fighting groups of enemies. I chose the Provocation rune to make the heal consistent, which is important because this build depends on it to stay alive.

Ignore Pain(Iron Hide): An amazing panic button, it has saved my life more times than I can count. It has a decent duration and short enough cooldown that I can depend on it to get me out of tricky situations, such as getting frozen on top of aoe damage. Also, for especially challenging encounters, you can dps while it's up and kite while it refreshes.

Leap/Iron Impact: Leap is a fantastic skill. It gives the build much needed mobility since you'll often be blocked by groups of enemies. Furthermore, the Iron Impact rune allows you to rotate defensive cooldowns (Leap/Ignore Pain/Leap). With my gear, the 300% armor increase means I take 60% less damage!

War Cry(Impunity): This is here mostly for the Impunity rune, since I stack resists and adding 50% to that is very effective. With my current gear, having this shout up reduces incoming damage by 33%!

Furious Charge(Dreadnought): This skill has two purposes. First, it complements the mobility provided by Leap, and if you use both in succession it is possible to deaggro packs that are chasing you. The second purpose is for the heal, which can be used as a backup if you get unlucky with Revenge, and also for miscellaneous healing when you are trying to kite and not enough enemies are around you for a Revenge heal.

Passives: Nerves of Steel, Superstition, Berserker Rage.

I chose two defensive passives to further reduce incoming damage. I chose superstition over Tough as Nails (12.5% reduced damage taken) because I'm not as concerned about physical damage as I am about elemental. Berserker Rage is almost a flat 25% damage increase, as you're often at full rage.

The idea of this build is to maximize effective health, and then take advantage of the percentage based heals from Revenge and Furious Charge becoming large compared to the incoming hits.

When fighting challenging enemies relative to your gear, I find it most effective to do damage while rotating Leap/Ignore Pain/Leap and then kiting with Furious charge until I can do it again.

I've made a series of videos showcasing the gameplay and my farming route for each Act:

Act 1: www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9U8YkFJLb0

Act 2: www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ygb4NS4JXw

Act 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_yi1k6X8fQ (post T-nerf)

Act 4: www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSxwug0mkdg

Whimsyshire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTkHCpBcxxE

I've also used this build to solo all of act 4 while rolling 5 stacks of valor, it took me about an hour.

The downside of this build is that the dps is very low. I make up for this whenever I can by farming with npc assistance, but I expect to be able to increase the offensive aspect as I get more gear. Once I can kill act 4 elite packs without dying too much, I'll transition into offensive stats while keeping survivability constant.

Stat Priority:

Resist All / Vitality (try to get both on every piece)
    Strength
    Life on hit (in the hundreds)
    Attack Speed
    % Life
    Armor
    Physical or Fire Resistance (Desecrate, Molten, Fire Chains, Mortar are all fire and problematic)
    Life regeneration (Always nice for when you're kiting, especially during boss fights)

Furthermore it's important to maximize your block chance. I currently have 47% with a Sacred Shield, Justice Lantern, and Helm of Command, but I realize that not everyone will have access to that. Block % is the most important statistic on your shield and often overlooked. Also, try to have at least 3k blocked amount, which can outright negate most hits if you have high armor and resists.

Other desireable legendaries are the String of Ears belt to reduce melee damage taken (as high percentage as you can afford each point is better than the previous one), the Band of Fallen heroes is a nice ring with Resist and Vitality, the Blackthorne Medal is an amulet with attack speed and life on hit (2 set with chest?) and Immortal King 2 set has a bonus of 60 resist all (chest and gloves?)

Bring the Enchantress companion for her Powered Armor buff, it makes a huge difference. I made a video going over how I spec and gear her, check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyvmLPchIt8

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask questions

EDIT: I wanted to mention a trick I discovered:

By using Furious Charge or Leap at the correct time, it's possible to avoid getting frozen. You still take damage, but it can be a lifesaver.

Demonstration: www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX-0i91C-VM
    Last edited by Zrave; 2012-06-23 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Patch 1.0.3

Thanks for the guide mate. I was having trouble trying to balance my dps and survival, so tried your build and found I lived long enough that when I got a weap upgrade I was able to kill all the elites ive come across so far. including a couple plague+chain groups that normally just destroyed me

yes, thanks for the guide. world of difference

10+ Year Old Account
    I have not gotten to try this out yet, I will with maintenance is over but thanks for taking the time to make it. I do have a question, do you feel that superstition is better than relentless? Having all that reduced damage and no cost when you are low on health, which can be alot in inferno, just seems really powerful.
    If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant!

How do you feel about threatening shout with falter and wrath of the berserker with insanity in place of leap and furious charge? It lacks in mobility, but I can't imagine doing champion/elite packs without WOTB. It's a decent defensive CD, and I typically use it to focus down the weaker enemies in the pack, negating a lot of my need for movement abilities, as fire is a lot less scary with less mobs in the pack. Threatening shout with falter further reduces damage taken all the time, and just generally seems really strong to me.

The times I die due to lack of mobility seem fairly insignificant compared to the huge boost in damage and survivability I get from my other abilities.

Deleted
    My main isn't a Barb but i must show respect for you Zrave. The strats, guides, videos, taking the time to explain and answer questions, is hard to find these days. So thank you but mostly a huge respect.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I use a similar build but keep Wrath instead of Leap. The reason I find this quite effective is that Wrath allows you to become immune to all forms of CC and works incredibly well with a combination of Ignore Pain + Ignorance is Bliss and your Sidearm rune proc. You're usually able to zerg down one or two targets with little issue (except shielding) and have the others down by a fair amount due to Sidearm spam.

I'll give this a try though because I always wondered how I could sneak in Leap with Iron Impact.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Stun rend and run. Throw some seismic slam in there once in a while too.

Lots of kiting as a barbarian.

Is there a way a MOD can make this a sticky Barb guide? Excellent info in here that helped me a ton, and I'm sure it would help out many other people struggling in inferno, or the later acts of hell for that matter.

how do i re-spec my followers? :s it is a problem for me in act 2 on inferno because i can't switch :s

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    Is there a way a MOD can make this a sticky Barb guide? Excellent info in here that helped me a ton, and I'm sure it would help out many other people struggling in inferno, or the later acts of hell for that matter.
    What we actually need is a sticky with links to guides like these. Or at least to class specific useful posts. There are a few out there, but the get buried within a day.

Deleted
    Thank you very much for this guide ! What changes would you suggest when playing in duo with a demon hunter ? In two player games, the mobs hit harder, the tank has to make the DH's life easier (by maybe taunting or graping monsters) but can sacrifice damage.
    Last edited by mmocafd6fe3fae; 2012-05-29 at 10:50 PM.

Excellent guide!

---------- Post added 2012-05-29 at 06:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    how do i re-spec my followers? :s it is a problem for me in act 2 on inferno because i can't switch :s
    right click on the icon, and hit respec or something like that. Hoped this helped!

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ty kind sir

Great info, great videos.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried it out and somehow it worked better than I expected. Only in act I but have not had to skip any blue or yellow mobs. Even killed frozen desecrator vortex and shielding.
    If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zrave View Post
    Tank Barbarian:
    us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WVSRXk!beV!accZac
    Its really nice build. I'm using similar build, with ignorance is bliss rune (I'm using ignore pain as a reactive CD) and Wotb with insanity instead of leap:
    - bursting down 1-2 champions can trivialise fight
    - you are immune to frost, jail, stun, fear effects
    - with great amount of LL from IP+wotb you can overcome some ground effects (like molten, desecrate) if you are walled in bad spot

Its a long CD, but you don't meet champions on every corner

btw. thank you for great guide and vids

Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    RIght-click their portrait and select "retrain"

I just got to Inferno with my Barb, last night. I just got wreaked. Although, with the AH being down right now. I can't even buy gear so I can get past this wall. So I will have to wait for the AH to come around before I can even do Warden - Butcher runs. Sad panda.