Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    When I was younger (high school) I always considered "I hooked up with a chick" to mean that you actually had sex. Now days the definition (a la Jersey Shore) seems to mean just making out.

To "hook up" can certainly mean to go hang out, but it's usually very clear when that is the meaning implied. For example, "I'm going to go hook up with Nancy after we finish watching this movie." Very clear that I just mean to go meet her.
    I have had sex after a movie before. I mean... that isn't very clear at all.

It goes both ways. Context clues are your friend.

as I see it, its when the peepee goes into the wawa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    as I see it, its when the peepee goes into the wawa.
    I love WaWa!

http://www.wawa.com/WawaWeb/

(Completely work safe).

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I have had sex after a movie before. I mean... that isn't very clear at all.
    It's quite clear in the context of the situation. And likewise, if you were actually going to go hook up (have sex with) Nancy, that should likewise be pretty clear in how and when it is said.

Quote Originally Posted by Scigodomega View Post
    What exactly is the definition of hook -up? For example, if a guy says he hooked up with a chick over the weekend.

There are two conflicting definition I hear.

The first is a meet up involving casual non commital sex, and the other seems to imply just hanging out. So what is the most common colloquial definition of hooking up?
    Both definitions work, but to avoid problems don't use it unless it's the sexy times.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've heard it two ways. Sex (most commonly), or the start of a relationship. I always assume they are talking about the former, though.

Icon made by leia06 from livejournal.com.

where I'm from it means to make out. And when someone's having sex they just use "we're gonna go fuck". It's a lot more direct in Australia
    this game sucks

10+ Year Old Account
    I love WaWa!

http://www.wawa.com/WawaWeb/

(Completely work safe).
    Lmfao. Good job there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    God, Guns, Gays and Gynecology - the Republican 4G Network.

Deleted
    Context is everything but generally, sex.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's two of them really

1) To do it
    2) Hang out

Never heard of anything else

Hook up I lways thought was a meeting but generally "on-the-fly" as it were. So if you are going to a place and meeting someone there then w/e you "met up with" them I guess, but lets say you went to a soccer game and happened to meet a mate who was also going... then you "hooked up with him" at the game...

So an unplanned meeting or an unspecified meeting ("yeah we're all going to the party gonna hook up with mates there" kinad thing.

But as ppl have pointed out... context is everything, language is a funny thing like that. Essentially any words mean anything as long as the meaning is conveyed (I could stand there and repeat "I am a fish" 500 times and as long as someone actually understood I was saying "Just popping to the shops for cigarettes" then effectively I used the correct language Thats an absurd example of course
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scigodomega View Post
    What exactly is the definition of hook -up? For example, if a guy says he hooked up with a chick over the weekend.

There are two conflicting definition I hear.

The first is a meet up involving casual non commital sex, and the other seems to imply just hanging out. So what is the most common colloquial definition of hooking up?
    Sex. Bumping uglies. Doing the nasty. Drilling for oil.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    A 'hook up' generally involves one or more people having an orgasm brought on by the person you 'hooked up' with.
    lol guess this deffinition is the right one

Basically, having an orgasm imo. Doesn't matter how he/she does it, as long as you get one.

10+ Year Old Account
    My location is irrelevant to your interests
    I use hook up as in meet someone. Athene on youtube uses it like "I'm going to hook you up with razer gear." But I'm not sure if he uses it right.

Quote Originally Posted by F4ulty View Post
    It goes both ways. Context clues are your friend.
    Quoted because so many times in these boards the most rational posts get ignored in the flood of everything else.

Common sense folks. If you buddy says "hey we are going to have dinner with John and Jeff, we can hook up after that" it's probably safe to assume your buddy is not talking about sex.

10+ Year Old Account
    depends how old you are...my mom uses 'hook up' as meeting up with people.

i tend to use it more of term of sleeping with someone (can be a one timer or a current bf/gf kind of thing)

but i also use it as a meeting term, just depends on the company at the time

10+ Year Old Account
    nowadays i think its a relationship wherein it was "intimate" = slept together..