Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by so mad bro View Post
    Lol, I'm present on many forums but getting a ban on MMO Champion is really easy.

I mean you just criticized a game and was not 110% objective and constructive ? Lol, game bashing --> ban
    You called some one a noob ? Stop right there, criminal scum, that's trolling --> ban

Seems a lot of mods on this forum think they are the internet embodiment of Judge Dredd. I AM THE LAW!

Oh and I forgot, we are not allowed to discuss the conduct of the moderators on the forum and we must message Boub with complaints, which are obviously ignored by Boub as he has lots of things on his mind than to consider our whines about infractions.
    Wait, so you're complaining about being punished for not respecting other posters?

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh ?!? Mild insults should be allowed. Certainly calling someone a noob, that's hardly even an insult. Unfortunately, the moderator's rulebook says the average poster's skin is thinner than a wet tissue paper.

And not respecting other posters ?!? Do you have any idea what an argument is ?!? Unless Gandhi has an argument with...himself basically, there is bound to be disrespect involved, maybe not light insults but surely tone and language. It's pretty normal for a conversation between human beings and there is no need for the divine moderator to smite someone for uttering the word "noob".
    You don't get mad at the ref for enforcing the rules.

It's a game, play to win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh ?!? Mild insults should be allowed. Certainly calling someone a noob, that's hardly even an insult. Unfortunately, the moderator's rulebook says the average poster's skin is thinner than a wet tissue paper.

And not respecting other posters ?!? Do you have any idea what an argument is ?!? Unless Gandhi has an argument with...himself basically, there is bound to be disrespect involved, maybe not light insults but surely tone and language. It's pretty normal for a conversation between human beings and there is no need for the divine moderator to smite someone for utter the word "noob".
    If this forum doesn't want that here then do it somewhere else. I don't like WoW but I like the Video Game forums here because at least here you have to stick to some sort of objectivity. I spend all day on reddit but hate /r/gaming because its a giant circlejerk about people "finding" their old Zelda game in their attic, loving Valve, and hating all things EA.

There is certainly a way to have discussions/debates on the internet without disrespect. I've debated religion in great depth without disrespect from towards either sides of these.

The mods of MMO-Champ want to make the forums a place where you can post without the fear of being bashed. Some forums thing all opionions should be "put in their place" and if you are man enough to post then you are man enough to be bashed. Good for them. No one forces you to hang around any forum you don't want to. I've gotten infractions here, threatened with a permaban on the WoW forums, banned from one I modded on. All of them truthfully could've been avoided.

10+ Year Old Account

And not respecting other posters ?!? Do you have any idea what an argument is ?!? Unless Gandhi has an argument with...himself basically, there is bound to be disrespect involved, maybe not light insults but surely tone and language. It's pretty normal for a conversation between human beings and there is no need for the divine moderator to smite someone for uttering the word "noob".
    An argument can remain civil, you know. And hey, if the forum doesn't allow mild insults, either stop using them or convince the person who sets the rules to change them. I honestly don't see why you have trouble being a decent person on a forum where it is expected that you do so.

Idk man, I've been a member of an awful lot of forums, and the most severe thing I've been infracted for is mocking rp'ers, which I consider fair trade. Never seen an example of "tyrannical" practices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything has a level from Light to Heavy. Using 0 tolerance is not a good idea on a forum. I'm not saying bashing shouldn't be infracted, I'm just saying the mods of this particular website have a very low level at which they consider something worthy of an infraction.
    Calling someone a 'name' is the threshold generally.

It's pretty easy not to do that. Don't call someone a noob. Point out how their thinking/behavior is less than desirable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    Calling someone a 'name' is the threshold generally.

It's pretty easy not to do that. Don't call someone a noob. Point out how their thinking/behavior is less than desirable.
    That is generally how I have avoided incurring infractions.

Lol, I'm present on many forums but getting a ban on MMO Champion is really easy.

I mean you just criticized a game and was not 110% objective and constructive ? Lol, game bashing --> ban
    You called some one a noob ? Stop right there, criminal scum, that's trolling --> ban

Seems a lot of mods on this forum think they are the internet embodiment of Judge Dredd. I AM THE LAW!

Oh and I forgot, we are not allowed to discuss the conduct of the moderators on the forum and we must message Boub with complaints, which are obviously ignored by Boub as he has lots of things on his mind than to consider our whines about infractions.
    I really don't know how anyone on this forum gets an infraction without intending to do so. Avoiding infractions and still being harsh is really, really easy.

Mods of this site are fine. note that I got banned twice. This is jut a gaming site, nothing more nothing less. The freedom of speech on this site is insignificant. You got banned? Create a new account...Why care for your stupid identity on interwebz??? This is not rea life. Sometimes people care too much virtual identity and shit. They're ruling the site with dictator ship? Who the hell cares???
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2012-05-29 at 10:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything has a level from Light to Heavy. Using 0 tolerance is not a good idea on a forum. I'm not saying bashing shouldn't be infracted, I'm just saying the mods of this particular website have a very low level at which they consider something worthy of an infraction.
    I agree for the most part. But my issue isn't so much with tolerance, its with consistency. If you say x is worth an infraction, don't just give one to me and not the other guy just because he was here longer (not a real scenario).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyctam View Post
    Nothing makes me angrier mad than a power-hungry moderator or admin that doesn't like your opinion or character and so to satisfy their tyrannical temptations they decide to remove the one freedom that they could never remove from you in real life, the freedom of speech. The removal of freedom of speech on the internet is known as "banning". You no longer get to talk and you are no longer welcome to the site. Everything you have ever said or discussed has amounted to a big pile of nothing. Your character is no longer allowed on this forum and if you wanna come back, you better change your character up and succumb to the community's stereotypes you don't even agree with. Yes, you can only come back once you're someone you are not.

Mad about the ban? Forget that you followed all the rules they told you for a second. You never got a choice in the matter. You joined a random village and agreed to their terms, including the term that said any of the leaders can kick you if they felt it was righteous. Don't forget the fine print that said "we can punish you as we see fit" and "we can change the rules without notice or warning". Did you share an unpopular opinion? That's a lie, we only respect one opinion and unpopular opinions don't exist so you are a troll.

If you are an active participant in general communities (even gaming forums), you've definitely seen a staff like this. You're not treated like a human being at these forums and your basic human right will be revoked if you say something as petty as "Stop being a jerk" to a moderator who just called someone an "*expletive* idiot" for having an opinion.

I get the basic forum rules. Don't swear, don't flame, don't harass, don't violate U.S. law or talk about anything that violates U.S. law. They're the same almost everywhere. These are just basic rules for a civilized community. It's how we talk to co-workers, professors, students. What I don't get is how people can set up a community for discussion and then be a complete tyrant about it. A moderator getting mad over some opinion so he removes his ability to communicate?

What's really scary is to think about these same people becoming government officials and, y'know, actually governing people the same way they do it online. Do they have the guts to be that tyrannical in real life? How would they "ban" people in real life? Would they go that far? What should we even do with people like this, only able to act with actions rather than words?

Just got me thinking after a ridiculous event. Go ahead and share your stories and how you deal(t) with these communities. I'm glad MMOC has a great set of considerate and friendly staff.

NOTE: Please no site/forum names. Keep everything anonymous here.
    What you describe happens everywhere, even here.

Though it's hardly difficult to register with a new email, so being banned is quite inconsequential.

Irresponsible nitwits being in power is a common thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find these forums rather better than most, which is why I now exclusively stay here. Somethings I could agree are a little over the top, such as if somebody is being an idiot I really wish I had the ability to call them an idiot, but otherwise I can live no problem.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    I find these forums rather better than most, which is why I now exclusively stay here. Somethings I could agree are a little over the top, such as if somebody is being an idiot I really wish I had the ability to call them an idiot, but otherwise I can live no problem.
    You have no such right in anywhere, in internet or real life. Either way, if you insult some1 you have to face with consequences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    You have no such right in anywhere, in internet or real life. Either way, if you insult some1 you have to face with consequences.
    Um, actually you are able to call people idiots in real life. There isn't a law against it. For example: it is completely within my right to call a certain group of fanatical protesters - not the Occupy movement, by the way - a group of raving lunatics, devoid of intelligence or morals. No one is going to come and punish me for saying my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    If my friend throws a brick at a window and gets arrested, I think I have free reign to call them an idiot.

If my friend thinks we dropped the atomic bomb during the Vietnam War, I think I have free reign to call them an idiot.

If my friend thinks that cheating on his GF is a good idea, I think I have free reign to call him an idiot and a cheat.

Oh, help me from these horrible foul despicable terrible consequences slamming into me. I regret everything. Total remorse.

/sarcasm off

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Um, actually you are able to call people idiots in real life. There isn't a law against it. For example: it is completely within my right to call a certain group of fanatical protesters - not the Occupy movement, by the way - a group of raving lunatics, devoid of intelligence or morals. No one is going to come and punish me for saying my opinion.
    Actually, let's say you go into a church and start waving signs around calling them raving lunatics and devoid of intelligence or morals, along with chanting slogans to the same effect. They would be entirely within their rights to have you thrown out for it, up to and including legal prohibitions on your ever entering their property again.

Same thing applies on websites - free speech protection ONLY applies to the government, not to how companies and individuals handle their own property, including discussion boards.

Edit: Anther example. Let's say I tell you're you're free to enter my house to do X as long as you don't curse. You agree to that. Then, immediately upon entering, you start cursing with every other word. By your logic, I have no right to throw you out, because FREE SPEECH DUDE. Sorry, doesn't work that way.
    Last edited by Taliesyn; 2012-05-29 at 11:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taliesyn View Post
    Actually, let's say you go into a church and start waving signs around calling them raving lunatics and devoid of intelligence or morals, along with chanting slogans to the same effect. They would be entirely within their rights to have you thrown out for it, up to and including legal prohibitions on your ever entering their property again.

Same thing applies on websites - free speech protection ONLY applies to the government, not to how companies and individuals handle their own property, including discussion boards.

Edit: Anther example. Let's say I tell you're you're free to enter my house to do X as long as you don't curse. You agree to that. Then, immediately upon entering, you start cursing with every other word. By your logic, I have no right to throw you out, because FREE SPEECH DUDE. Sorry, doesn't work that way.
    If I go on a public property and wave a sign that says, "Walmart is evil, and are idiots." I have every right to do so, in the US at least. Obviously if you go into another person's home it will change due to the government structure conforming to the owner of the house.

10+ Year Old Account

You're talking about different scenarios, or at least a different scenario that the one that I was imagining. I didn't say I was doing that in their church. I am doing in in the public. You essentially re-posted what the point of my response to the original post, which was that the Freedom of Speech in the United States allows for me to hold and express those views in the public sphere of communication, but when I enter the privately owned areas my ability to express myself is determined by who owns said areas.

So me calling this group - and trust me, I am not in the minority when I say I despise them - is perfectly within the Freedom of Speech granted to me by the government in my country. If I were to go into the church and say that, however, I would be swiftly removed from the premises.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    If I go on a public property and wave a sign that says, "Walmart is evil, and are idiots." I have every right to do so, in the US at least. Obviously if you go into another person's home it will change due to the government structure conforming to the owner of the house.
    The catch is, both of my examples specifically were NOT public property. Neither is this discussion forum. That's the point you are missing.

10+ Year Old Account
    The catch is, both of my examples specifically were NOT public property. Neither is this discussion forum. That's the point you are missing.
    But both Grokan and I were retorting on the point said by Kuntantee, who said we can't call people idiots in real life. So dragging it out was moot. Your point is as obvious as my affinity for the pokemon Mew.