Thread: Intel Atom pc?

Deleted

Intel Atom pc?

So I'm thinking about getting a new pc for my parents.

At the moment they have a Fujitsu Siemens Pentium 4...yeah.
    It's a very slow machine and reinstalling windows doesn't help a bit.

They'll only use it for browsing, office work and they would want to watch some videos/movies on it every now and then.

So I'm looking for a cheap solution, and I found an Asus EB1007 D410 mini pc for 300€.

It has 1 Gig of Ram and an Intel D410 Atom CPU.

Question is; would 1 Gig of RAM and a CPU like this suffice for this kind of use?
    Or would I need more RAM and a better CPU if they're gonna watch videos on it?

If so, does anyone know of another cheap solution?
    ( A decent laptop might be an option as well by the way )

Was thinking of assembling a new pc myself, but not sure if it's even cheaper on this kind of level pc's.

EDIT:
    I can also get a Sapphire Mini PC Edge HD2 - D525 for around the same price.

This one has 2 Gigs of RAM and a Intel D525 CPU.

I also took a look at Marest's Sample builds for Office and Family builds, but I can't get a lot of those parts here in the Netherlands.
    Last edited by mmoc2be3b3a67c; 2012-05-30 at 06:46 AM.

If they're going to run Windows 7 on it, 1 gig is not enough. Windows alone takes all that.
    Playing since 2007.

Deleted
    My vote goes for a cheap Fusion or Llano (or if you can wait, Trinity) build. I had a Fusion build earlier. Perfect for office work/HTPC stuff and cost around $250, excl Windows. See my 250 sample build.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-05-30 at 04:19 PM.