View Poll Results: What genre should our imaginary game be?

Voters
42. This poll is closed
  • First Person Shooter

0 0%
  • First Person Action RPG

2 4.76%
  • Real Time Strategy

2 4.76%
  • Survival

9 21.43%
  • Platformer

3 7.14%
  • Role-Playing Game

17 40.48%
  • Puzzle

1 2.38%
  • First/Third Person Shooter

4 9.52%
  • Sidescroller

0 0%
  • Stealth

4 9.52%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    How exactly will this be voted upon, I mean it could get a bit messy, maybe you could make a new thread with a poll with all the suggested genres?

EDIT: so maybe you could have a new thread describing all of the different genres and then a poll with each one, so people can make an informed decision.
    Last edited by mmoc383018dc8a; 2012-05-30 at 07:35 PM.

I'm for 3rd person RPG

EDIT: Since the forum poll system (or just making lots of posts) isn't suited for this, I'd suggest you make a moderated Google document or so...
    Last edited by reckoner04; 2012-05-30 at 07:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The first step will be: GENRE.
    I believe that episode based (like Asura's Wrath and I think Dragon's Dogma is like this) action RPG games are the future. Players don't need grind and farm fest, players want to kill bosses, so give them the boss fights! I think that this is the best multiplayer PvE game format we have currently.

Take a look over here, guys. hehe.
    I started writing my own graphics engine and my own game. Kinda quit the project, because i just wanted it to help me get a job.
    I did get a job as a game developer, a job that i absolutely love.

NOTE: don`t mind the level design, please. Actually, there ain`t no level design, really, except for the ground. The palms / bushes are there just to see the rendering system.

Anyway, if you guys wanna start your own game, definitely don`t start with a MMO. You guys might not realize what a MMO game implies. You should really start with more of a demo. Graphics, really, really good gameplay, maybe a bit of a story, and should be enough. Even this will definitely not happen over night.
    Last edited by ayrton2388; 2012-05-30 at 07:59 PM.

I think the best games to start with as a new developer are sidescrollers/platformers with some cool gameplay mechanics that make the game special.

10+ Year Old Account
    RPG, RPG's are the best thing ever

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the current list of suggested genres. Let me know if I have missed something.

Sandbox
    FPS
    First Person Action RPG
    RTS
    Survival
    Platformer
    RPG
    Puzzle
    First/Third Person Shooter
    Sidescroller

Quote Originally Posted by Mozez View Post
    How exactly will this be voted upon, I mean it could get a bit messy, maybe you could make a new thread with a poll with all the suggested genres?

EDIT: so maybe you could have a new thread describing all of the different genres and then a poll with each one, so people can make an informed decision.
    I was planning on doing it with a running tally, but the forum might prove to hectic for that. It might be a good idea to ask a moderator if it's okay to start a new topic each round, so we can work with a poll.

Quote Originally Posted by ayrton2388 View Post
    Anyway, if you guys wanna start your own game, definitely don`t start with a MMO. You guys might not realize what a MMO game implies. You should really start with more of a demo. Graphics, really, really good gameplay, maybe a bit of a story, and should be enough. Even this will definitely not happen over night.
    I don't expect (and hope no-one else does) to have more than a cool idea in the end. Maybe a rough design document at best. Having our "perfect" game become a reality (or even a demo) would be cool, but we shouldn't do this expecting to have a tangible product in the end.
    And I'll check your vids out tomorrow if I have the time.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Seems like a fun thread to follow. I am doubtful it will work though. MMO-C seems very non agreeable. I could say something innocent like the sky is blue and get 13 pages of people telling my why it's not.

I'd like a RPG, which supports multiplayer up to 12 people. Heck, maybe a RPG that is kinda boring when you are playing alone (the same way Diablo is "boring" alone).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Seems like a fun thread to follow. I am doubtful it will work though. MMO-C seems very non agreeable. I could say something innocent like the sky is blue and get 13 pages of people telling my why it's not.
    I have a pretty positive view on humanity. Of course this will attract some trolls, but I believe that if you provide humans with an interesting creative challenge, they'll often surprise you.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    I'd like a RPG, which supports multiplayer up to 12 people. Heck, maybe a RPG that is kinda boring when you are playing alone (the same way Diablo is "boring" alone).
    The discussion on MMO/Multiplayer/Singleplayer will be in an upcoming step.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    I think it would be cool to play a sandbox stealth game (i.e. stealth game Thief). I'm not sure how this could be done, but I love stealth games and think it would be fun to play it with lots of people at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    It needs to be more liek skyrim. Evry game needs 2 be moar liek skyrim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Skyrim with more Skyrim and more Skyrim, except we need to implement a bathroom system which Skyrim lacked, I want a game you can smell, I want to smell everything.
    Oh yeah, good idea. Zombie Skyrim game, with smell. So I can smell the putrid rotting flesh.
    We get it, you don't like Skyrim. I don't think you've voiced your dislike on Skyrim enough, on these boards or any others.

OT: I vote for an RPG game. If nothing else, something I'd like to see done, regardless of genre/whatever, is graphics. I see far to many games go and try the "realistic" route, when a proper aesthetic looks good (if not sometimes better), and holds up better in the future. Just look at Team Fortress 2. Compare http://media.pc.ign.com/media/011/01...g_1277940.html (the old, beta graphics) to something like this http://media.pc.ign.com/media/011/01...g_1277940.html . A proper aesthetic > realistic graphics, imo.

Another idea would be something like an old RTS game that I love, Majesty. It's an RTS in which you can't directly control your units. Each unit has it's own "personality", in that Rogues are squishy characters that will drop anything and everything for money, Monks are righteous characters that won't run away from a fight, etc. In order to have units "do what you want", you must influence them by reward flags; say you want to explore an area on the map. Put a 500 gold bounty on it, and your rogues will stop everything and run over and explore it. Also, units that you produce means that you can't produce others (if you make a dwarven settlement, you can recruit gnomes, etc). If our game is to stand out, it needs to do something unique or at the very least, something that hasn't been played out over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    We get it, you don't like Skyrim. I don't think you've voiced your dislike on Skyrim enough, on these boards or any others.
    Wow, it's a joke, calm down. For one, I don't dislike Skyrim but the hype is fun to pick on.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Not really. It's just funny seeing people compare games to Skyrim all over and say they should be more like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, it's a joke, calm down. For one, I don't dislike Skyrim but the hype is fun to pick on.
    and he proved it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion View Post
    The loss of the ability to pass on loot is the loss of the ability to choose. This is communism
    Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    A year from now someone on these forums is gonna say that the (wod) launch went smoothly..... I am gonna remind that asshole of this launch, this shit is not going smoothly at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another RPG series with good amount of lore. Doesn't matter if it's medievil or what. Oh and for the sake of making a good game. Not to dethrone SWTOR or any other popular series out there. It should be for the sake of making it good, not for the sake of jealousy or spite.

Skyrim was NOT overhyped. It was everything the game promised and more. Im sorry if you couldnt appreciate that...

Sandbox MMO, however not necessarily fantasy or post apocalyptic as far as themes go. Maybe a more steam-punk look but with swords/bows. I don't know. Could be interesting.

I would like to see an action-heavy, yet still strategic MMO that relies more on skill than gear. Something that keeps you on your toes during "raids" (or whatever equivelant) without having to button mash a rotation out constantly. You know, skill and not gear based. xD

Skyrim with more Skyrim and more Skyrim, except we need to implement a bathroom system which Skyrim lacked, I want a game you can smell, I want to smell everything.
    Bring back smell-o-vision!!!

Id like to see people/guild able to stake out nations or take over parts of cities and such and run them ( AH, merchents, tax and crap)
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.