New to weight lifting/loss - Need advice

Hey,

First off, I'm 6'3 and around 240-250lb's and I've started reducing my calorie and carb intake whilst increasing protein. What I'm looking for is any general advice for timings, schedules and amounts that I should be lifting in order to lose excess fat. Obviously diet is the most important thing and I'm getting that under control but I haven't lifted weights in around a year also when I did use to lift I never followed any sort of program and ended up not looking or feeling any different apart from stiff and painful triceps/biceps for a couple days afterwards.

With my height and build I've been told that around 30 minutes a day, 4 days a week of really pushing some heavy dumbells/barbells will be most beneficial, taking a 30 second break every 2 minutes of all-out lifting.

Any advise for someone who had been in a similar situation or with a degree of expertise would be awesome!
    Last edited by HydroDan; 2012-05-30 at 01:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I probably have a similar build to you being that I'm 6'3" and not a small framed guy. I do a dumbbell only split 3 days a week. Monday chest/tris Wednesday back/bis Friday legs/shoulder. It's been working real well for me, been on it for a month or so now and can already start the see the difference. Here's a link to the routine I'm doing

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...nly-split.html

Thanks to Scythen for the sig

In regards to both issues the most important thing in my opinion is that you are consistant. You can have the best work out in the world but if you only do it every other week it wont do anything. 2-3 times per week for lifting if you want strength building. Cardio should be at least 5 times a week. If you are running, do at least 20 minutes and at least an hour on a stationary bike.