Page 1 of 3
LastLast

could next gen be sonys last gen?

first off this is not a bashing thread or a hate thread and please dont let this turn into a fan war with people complaining or ridiculing other people about there favorite brand and also let me say i DO NOT want sony to fail this is just a look into whether or not you think they will make it past the next gen.

with nintendo being the top dog in gaming at the moment in terms of consoles and handhelds with microsoft close behind it seems as though sony has been struggling to keep up in sales. as we know later this year the wiiu will be out and while the wii had a somewhat lackluster display of games outside of first party titles no one can dispute that it has sold the most this gen. the wiiu seems to be fixing everything that was wrong with the wii by being around twice as strong as the xbox and ps3 and having strong 3rd party support and while maybe being slightly behind once the xbox 720 comes out a year or 2 later the difference in power is likely to be the same as the ps3 and xbox difference as in slightly more powerful but not as big of a difference to where games cant be made for both and also will have a year or 2 head start and the 3ds while having a rocky start and not many good launch titles is now the fastest selling nintendo handheld so far i believe and is now selling very well with tons of new games coming out this year and next and will sell at profit starting this holiday season now that hardware costs to build it has gone down. the xbox 720 looks like its near as well with it probably being mentioned at this e3 with it coming out either 2013 or early 2014 and will be a big competition to nintendo . but in sonys case the ps3 had a rocky start and has continued to bleed money for quite awhile and sony is only just now starting to make real profits off it and the vita has completely failed and is selling worse then the psp i think the vita might be the last sony handheld and i think it will be a long time before we see any kind of ps4 and i think when we do unless sony can turn it around it might be there last console as well and i think this is sad because sony has a long history in the gaming world and even though im not the biggest fan of sony i think it would be horrible to see one of the big 3 go under and less competition also means alot of the time that game quality goes down, competition helps companies strive to be the best the less there is the less they have to fight for your choice in game.

but sadly i think this may be the last round for sony i think after the ps4 we will be in a generation where nintendo and microsoft are the 2 main companies and with nintendo completely owning the handheld market unless microsoft decides to step in. what do you think? also please let me repeat do not turn this into a fan war please no comments like "nintendo sucks or microsoft sucks or sony sucks" this isnt about whos better or who you like more so please no immature bashing true gamers play games nomatter what console there on and all that matters is good games not whos name is on the box.

All these silly consoles can burn in hell, I am tired of seeing good titles turned to crap in order to be run on consoles then ported to pc's.

Hell even the games that are designed strictly for console use such as skyward sword are heavily limited due to the limits of the crap controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    All these silly consoles can burn in hell, I am tired of seeing good titles turned to crap in order to be run on consoles then ported to pc's.

Hell even the games that are designed strictly for console use such as skyward sword are heavily limited due to the limits of the crap controllers.
    i really enjoyed skyward sword its actually my favorite zelda game now lol i actually spent like and hour just running around and slashing stuff before i even started the main game however i do think there couldve been more content and it couldve been less linear but i think the controls were the best part of it

10+ Year Old Account
    Really don't care about consoles anymore. I've grown out of them. Years ago, I had to be the first to on a PS3 or a Wii, now its ehhhhhhh, I rather save the money and use it on other things like a vacation or something.

Deleted
    Nintendo does not own the console market.

Most Wii's are sitting on the shelves in people's closets and the Xbox 360 is starting to massively outsell the Wii. Also, the new Wii U has terrible speccs and is barely ahead of the current generation.

I say Microsoft is going to own the next generation hands down, with Nintendo taking the handheld market.

Sony is probably going to end up bankrupt. All of it's divisions are failing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moved to Video Game Discussions...clearly not World of Warcraft related

Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post

Most Wii's are sitting on the shelves in people's closets and the Xbox 360 is starting to massively outsell the Wii. Also, the new Wii U has terrible speccs and is barely ahead of the current generation.

I say Microsoft is going to own the next generation hands down, with Nintendo taking the handheld market.

actually everything we have been told from developers and nintendo about the specs say that its somewhere between 50% to twice as powerful as the ps3 and xbox, anything that isnt from a developer or nintendo are baseless rumors and speculation and theres far too many nintendo fans for any nintendo console to not be able to compete well with microsoft

Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post

Because this totally mattered for the first 60% of the last generation, right?

OT: I doubt it. Depends on what sort of mistakes they make this gen.

I'll be somewhat sad if this is the case. I tend to be a PC gamer for the most part, but I truly do love my PS3 exclusives. Hated my Xbox with a fiery passion, and Nintendo is okay. I wouldn't say that I'm a fan of Sony's practices, but I enjoy their products.

I think so personally. Can only rip off Nintendo for so long before you die out.

15+ Year Old Account
    As long as some other console picks up the Metal Gear Solid franchise, I will be content.

Skelington hopes so. He didn't think they could even make it to the next gen.

Considering PS3 is the second best selling console in the world, I doubt it. Wii U is an unknown right now. By that I mean no one really knows if they can recapture that same magic for their next console as they did for Wii. Wii was as casual as it gets, Wii U will be more "hardcore" with other third party IPs coming to it, but it all remains to be seen if that will be enough. Will people with a 360 or PS3 really go out and buy a AAA multiplatform game for Wii U instead of their other console? Sony might not be doing well right now, but their games division is one of the big money makers right now. Plus, no trolling intended, but if some of the crap surrounding the 360 now comes to light, and if the rumors are true about the next system blocking used game sales are true, it will fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    actually everything we have been told from developers and nintendo about the specs say that its somewhere between 50% to twice as powerful as the ps3 and xbox, anything that isnt from a developer or nintendo are baseless rumors and speculation and theres far too many nintendo fans for any nintendo console to not be able to compete well with microsoft
    Yeah, that's simply pathetic. After 5-6 years, 50% more power is all they could muster? The new Xbox is supposedly going to be 6 times more powerful than the current one, and the new Unreal engine (due in 2014, I think) is upposed to need hardware ten times more powerful than the current Xbox (both numbers were speculative ones I read about a couple of months back). 50-100% more power than a console from 2005 that had old hardware THEN is just pitiful. On top of the lack of power, the play style is still gimmicky. I wouldn't want to deal with playing on a tablet, and I don't see a real push for big-time third-party titles or shooters in general. I don't see how anyone could play Call of Duty or Battlefield or Counter-Strike on a tablet.

Yes, I'm pretty big on the Xbox, and Microsoft as a whole, but I would still take a PS3 over a Wii 10 times out of 10. As much as I like Nintendo's firsty party franchises, I like being able to play online with friends more. I would bet more on Nintendo's next console being its last than Sony's, quite frankly. Nintendo's problem for pretty much 3 generations now (the GameCube, Wii, and probably the Wii U) has been that it simply lags way behind in power, online gaming, and third party support. Nintendo would do itself VERY well to follow in the footsteps of SEGA.

Man, could you imagine the bidding war between Sony and Microsoft if Nintendo tried to sell an exclusivity license to one of them?

Nintendo is top dog? Thats news to me.

On topic the reason Sony did so poorly this time around was really expensive hardware and few exclusives worth mentioning (from my western pov) all I can think of off the top of my head is MGS and Little Big Planet, neither of which I cared about. Also Sony pretty much failed in the RPG market... RPG's were what sold the PS1 and PS2. When I'm deciding what to buy and the 360 had Blue Dragon and Mass Effect with Lost Oddessy on the way while all the PS3 had was FFXIII that didn't even have a release date at the time my choice was obvious.

Sony needs to make the PS4 affordable and work on getting some first party games, or at least exclusives.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoen View Post
    As long as some other console picks up the Metal Gear Solid franchise, I will be content.
    There's already a MGS game coming to the Kinect, so I don't think that would be an issue.

Nintendo would do itself VERY well to follow in the footsteps of SEGA.

that almost made me shit myself laughing.

I dont think sony will stop making playstations or something. If they would fix their connection to the level of xbox live ( The lag difference is really big between psn and xbox live )they would surely compete with windows. Im not so sure about Nintendo. For me , the Wii felt a step backwards , since i loved the gamecube more than my xbox/ps

I feel that including a Blu-ray player in the PS3 was a genius marketing move and has kept the console more than relevant. I do think handhelds like the 3DS and Vita will start to lose their niche as smartphones/tablets get better. I won't speak too much about the Wii other than to say it has a great lineup of games to merit the purchase of the console but not too much beyond that. They've really cut down their offerings in the past 2 years, and it's really shown in their financial numbers. Too much of their focus has been on the 3DS, when they still have something going good with the Wii. That said, I'm not really concerned for the future of any the next-gen consoles, but the gen after that might be interesting. It'll start getting tough for handhelds soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilfrier View Post
    Nintendo would do itself VERY well to follow in the footsteps of SEGA.
    How does that make any sense?