Poll: Are Worms considered Bugs?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    True bugs are from the order Hemiptera. They have a proboscis which is a long nose that is used for sucking. A worm is just a generalization because there are animals in different phyla using the word worm. True segmented worms are in the phylum Annelida which are earthworms, leeches, tubeworms, etc... Velvet worms are in the phylum Onychophora which means they have claws but they are not true segmented worms. Phylum Platyhelminthes are flatworms like planarians, flukes and tapeworms. Phylum Nemertea are the ribbon worms which have a long tongue like muscle that is used to grab prey. Phylum Nematoda consists of the roundworms which like arthropods have a non-living exoskeleton called the cuticle. They perform a process called ecdysis like insects that molt the outer skeleton since it does not grow along with the living creature so they have to remake it to accommadate their new size as the animal grows. A major characteristic of nematodes is that they are pseudocoelomates which means they don't have a true cavity like us. Their organs are loosely hanging inside. Annelids also have this non-living layer. There are many other minor phyla that contain worms in them. Worms are generally long tubelike animals while the term bug isusually associated with insects. Sorry to go ff on a worm discussion.

Worms are kind of their own thing. So no. They aren't even arthropods which just about every other bug falls under.

Oh and segmented worms can have legs. You just can't notice them on earthworms, which are the most common kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    i consider it a bug, but i also consider - every other creepy crawly to be a bug

Deleted
    Worms are nematodes
    Bugs are arthropodes

Evolutionary and biologically VERY different.

Insects do have a larval stage of life, which make them look like worms.
    But nematodes are legless, larva have a pair of legs on each segment or more when it concerns a centipede or a simular animal.
    Nematodes have a slimy body surface, the mature stage of an arthropoda have a hard external skeleton.
    Nematode have flexible reproduction systems (two sexes in one individual), arthropoda do not.
    And many more.

Worm ≠ insects/bugs/larva

Quote Originally Posted by foofymoonkin View Post
    Worms can have legs too!...technically...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...enille_arc.JPG
    that's a caterpillar, soon to be a butterfly. An insect.

No it's not a "bug" however the term "bug" it would seem is slang over in america for anything thats not a mammal and freaks you out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Technically, no.
    But I would categorize it as a bug.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    No it's not a "bug" however the term "bug" it would seem is slang over in america for anything thats not a mammal and freaks you out.
    thats not true

i wouldn't call a worm a bug. never actually thought about it though. i would call it a "worm" like a whole new set of classification of species.
    I'd torture a thousand souls just to see her smile.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    My mother and myself are in a debate about wether or not Worms are considered Bugs. So I bring the question to you MMO-C to prove her wrong and myself right.

Are Worms considered Bugs?
    Well, that very much depends on how much you enjoy having your cooking and laundry done for you :-)

i wouldn't call them insects, but I'd put them under the more general "bugs"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

No idea what they are considered, just know bugs are Beetles, Ants, etc.

Deleted
    Every bug is an insect but not every insect is a bug. One of the first things I've learned on my biology lessons.
    I always though bugs have hard chitin all over their body and can fly. Potato beetle, May bug, firebug and similar creatures. Many of them even has a name like ..... bug.