10+ Year Old Account

[Music] 90s "Alternative"

Had a random craving for the music of my younger days (lol sounds like im old, only 25) and that music was mostly 90s Alternative rock (Smashing Pumpkins, Silverchair, Alice In Chains, etc...).

Now-a-days I rarely listen to anything that isn't electronic in nature and I really feel like getting back into more rock / metal outside of say the Foo Fighters' latest stuff.

So, is there anything out there that is close to the old 90s alternative stuff? Perhaps some hair metal kinda stuff too? I would also ask about stuff similar to old Metallica / Black Sabbath and such but I doubt there's any decent replacements for such.

Hook me up!

P.S. -- Any rap / hip-hop stuff out there like the stuff from the old Easy-E / Dr. Dre / Ice Cube stuff? Anything from the 80s / 90s was pretty good in my book.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see no mention of Soundgarden in your post

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're looking for modern stuff that sounds like older stuff, the only name that comes to mind is Jet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I see no mention of Soundgarden in your post
    I mean, if I took the time to mention all of my favorite bands from those days it would be kinda silly.

Soundgarden just got back together from what I've heard. They did the main song in Avengers.

Collective Soul and even Green Day still tours and make records but they have changed their style to the point it's nothing like their 90's work.

Pearl Jam is still together and I believe they just released a record but not sure what it's like.

Unfortunately, as fast as the whole Alternative music scene began it kind of died out as quickly.

Deleted
    I'm not sure if I understand what you're looking for. If it's new bands that have that '90's sound, I can't really help, since the "new" music I listen to these days is almost all metal.

However, I can recommend Blind Melon from those days. They weren't that well known, so you could give them a try if you like. Rap evolved too much as far as I'm aware, so I doubt you will find any new bands that sound like NWA. You might found Jurassic Five or Dilated People enjoyable. I'll add couple of songs to get a better idea.

Blind Melon - I wonder

Dilated People - Worst comes to worst

Jurassic Five - Concrete Schoolyard

Alter Bridge

Shinedown