Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Returning to rift after a long leave. Need advice.

Hello everyone. I am just getting back to the game. I am interested in doing pve but also looking to do PVP. I am wanting to know which race i should be rolling and on what server. I played on a very guardian dominated server as defiant and i really didn't like it i'd like to play either a pvp server that is 50/50% or a side thats winning this time around. I'm US as well.

I used to play a rogue but now that i'm coming back i don't know what i should play but i know alot of the time i'll be solo.

Any help is appreciated

Offtopic: we're getting alot of these posts, perhaps we should make an easy guide and sticky it?

OT: If you want to know a decent server, tell us if you play Europe or US. As well, since when did you stopped playing?

Quote Originally Posted by irongar View Post
    Offtopic: we're getting alot of these posts, perhaps we should make an easy guide and sticky it?

OT: If you want to know a decent server, tell us if you play Europe or US. As well, since when did you stopped playing?
    I played back at launch got to 50 back when people were getting their first legendarys then i quit. I play US servers.

I have both a guardian and defiant on Wolfsbane (US) and from what I can see the population seems balanced. Give it a shot, shard transfers are free anyway lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by goombatommy View Post
    I have both a guardian and defiant on Wolfsbane (US) and from what I can see the population seems balanced. Give it a shot, shard transfers are free anyway lol.
    Yeah, I play on Wolfsbane too, have for a while, it's pretty well balanced faction wise. I play Guardian currently. <Snip>
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-06-01 at 10:39 AM. Reason: RAF Link removed.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    When I came back I checked the official server forums. That's generally a good indication of how populous a server is.
    You can spend a lot of time and money trying to save a little time and money.

According to riftstatus, Wolfsbane (pve), Deepwood (pve) Seastone (pvp), Faeblight (rp), and Greybriar (pve) are the most populous shards there are (in that order), their names colored yellow instead of green. Unfortunately, it appears that the population of rift seems to be either dropping (bad), or spreading out more on all the servers (good). But those are the more highly populated shards in NA.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mean to hyjak the thread but I'm in the same boat as the OP. I played at launch for a while, now I kinda wanna go back after reading a few threads about how much the game has changed...Looks pretty impressive now!
    Any advice for a european who is thinking of coming back?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honzi View Post
    If I got 50k gold for every error since diablo launched, I'd be able to buy a proper weapon.
    "I will now attempt to run away but first I will forget to close my chat window! wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!"

@Doggyballs: For EU shards, if you are looking for a high pop shard, your choices are Icewatch (pve), Bloodiron (pvp), and Riptalon (pve), for english shards. Looks like Rift isn't as popular in EU as it is in NA, but those are your choices for a high pop shard according to riftstatus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great, thanks. Rift is starting to look like a really stong MMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honzi View Post
    If I got 50k gold for every error since diablo launched, I'd be able to buy a proper weapon.
    "I will now attempt to run away but first I will forget to close my chat window! wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    According to riftstatus, Wolfsbane (pve), Deepwood (pve) Seastone (pvp), Faeblight (rp), and Greybriar (pve) are the most populous shards there are (in that order), their names colored yellow instead of green. Unfortunately, it appears that the population of rift seems to be either dropping (bad), or spreading out more on all the servers (good). But those are the more highly populated shards in NA.
    The numbers are expected to drop gradually (by looking at the charts, it's dropping VERY gradually) over time. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Rift's apparently making plenty of profit, else they probably wouldn't be able to sustain the content the produce at the rate the produce it. MMOs survive perfectly well off of a tiny fraction of the subscription numbers WoW has. And chances are, you probably won't actually see a huge difference in the number of people you play with or socialize with between two MMOs.

Expect a decent surge in subs, though. I know I'm considering resubbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

They actually came up for the first three months of the year, but have very gradually eased off as summer/D3/various MMO releases and betas have arrived. I imagine there will be a jump for the expansion tho

The most important thing is, there are still plenty of people to play against.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    The numbers are expected to drop gradually (by looking at the charts, it's dropping VERY gradually) over time. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Rift's apparently making plenty of profit, else they probably wouldn't be able to sustain the content the produce at the rate the produce it. MMOs survive perfectly well off of a tiny fraction of the subscription numbers WoW has. And chances are, you probably won't actually see a huge difference in the number of people you play with or socialize with between two MMOs.

Expect a decent surge in subs, though. I know I'm considering resubbing.
    Oh definitely. I honestly hope that Rift does NOT get as big as WoW, and any other MMORPG that comes out, because I remember the kind of people large mainstream games bring in (cod, wow, etc), and I don't want that kind of person to be what people think most of when they hear the name Rift.

And with the announcement of the expansion, I forsee a large influx of people during that time (probably mostly old accounts reactivating). And it makes me smile knowing that Trion can do absolutely fantastically with the numbers they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyfrostgod View Post
    I am interested in doing pve but also looking to do PVP. I am wanting to know which race i should be rolling and on what server. I played on a very guardian dominated server as defiant and i really didn't like it i'd like to play either a pvp server that is 50/50% or a side thats winning this time around. I'm US as well.

Any help is appreciated

Deepwood is VERY PvE oriented and one of the largest pop servers currently in Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggyballs View Post
    Great, thanks. Rift is starting to look like a really stong MMO.
    Yep, but for how long? I hope Trion will continue keeping the game alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Oh definitely. I honestly hope that Rift does NOT get as big as WoW, and any other MMORPG that comes out, because I remember the kind of people large mainstream games bring in (cod, wow, etc), and I don't want that kind of person to be what people think most of when they hear the name Rift.
    I'd like to know how you can put the 12 - 14 year olds that play COD with the people that play WoW?

I'm not against Rift in any way, I'm just wondering how you can make that asinine statement and still feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpieboi View Post
    I'd like to know how you can put the 12 - 14 year olds that play COD with the people that play WoW?

I'm not against Rift in any way, I'm just wondering how you can make that asinine statement and still feel good.
    Because that's how both of the games feel like? I don't see much difference between average CoD player and average WoW player after WoW hit the mainstream.

I'm a new player to Rift and started in Sagespire(?) EU, quite empty around here? I can just change to Bloodiron later for example, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    Because that's how both of the games feel like? I don't see much difference between average CoD player and average WoW player after WoW hit the mainstream.
    That doesn't even make sense. Wow is an MMORPG, and COD is a FPS. Two totally different games.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/12/22/th...factor-page-2/
    "Surveys of MMO players have consistently put the average age of MMO players right around 30. This includes our survey, as well as a survey of EQ2 players and an earlier survey of WoW players."

Don't tell me that Rift is some godly unknown game, and that if you post "Rift sux" in the general chat you won't get a horde of angry 12 year olds after you.

There's no difference between the average age of the players playing Rift and Wow. However, you will find 12 year old kids playing both. It's just a fact of any game.

However, for you to agree with the person that I quoted, shows just how jumbled up your thinking really is. They're two totally different games, with two totally different player bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    I'm a new player to Rift and started in Sagespire(?) EU, quite empty around here? I can just change to Bloodiron later for example, yes?
    Yes you can, free transfer every 7 days

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpieboi View Post

I wasn't commenting on the actual age, but the maturity level of the people playing those games.