Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    thnx scratches ur right about this one rlly thank u

$260 gets you a gtx 570 which is faster than a 7850

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanthalus View Post
    $260 gets you a gtx 570 which is faster than a 7850
    I'd say they trade blows and like mentioned before in this thread, everything considered 7850 is, hands down, The best GPU at the ~$250 price point. Lower power consumption, quieter, cooler, more vRAM (perhaps less important compared to the 570).

I'd say the ASUS card gets the best reviews (for the 7850) followed by MSI Twin Frozr and Sapphire (which is usually cheaper).

you choose anand and i choose Techpowerup , 100w (a light bulb) is the power difference , noise are the same (40db) - but ofc that test is subjective (and uses reference cooling); given the GTX 570 has been replaced bargains are to be had , especailly with the non reference and better cards ; the asus direct cuii comes to mind, faster , uses less power and quiter under load than the 7850 is at idle!!

nah the GTX 570 is better than a 7850 - now if you had said the 7870 then they are far more of a match....

Deleted
    100w (a light bulb)
    What kind of light bulb is that? Heck, you'd be lucky to find a modern light bulb reaching 40-50W. The low-energy rated ones barely reach 20. 100W in computer hardware is very significant. Not only due to power consumed, but also because of heat dissipation. Neglecting a -100W power draw is ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    What kind of light bulb is that? Heck, you'd be lucky to find a modern light bulb reaching 40-50W. The low-energy rated ones barely reach 20.
    A little off-topic isn't that, Marest? lol

Here in the States, people cling to their incandescent light bulbs as if it were a constitutional right

uses less power and quiter under load than the 7850 is at idle!!
    Just saying, the 7850 uses about 5 watts at idle, and many of the non-ref coolers even turn off the fans, making the card absolutely silent.

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264

Contains a comparison of about every graphics card currently available on the consumer market.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-06-03 at 08:10 PM.

Deleted
    I think im going for a Sapphire HD6950 2Gb gddr5 price/quality the best I think , no ?

What do you lot think about the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition - 2 GB GDDR5 - PCI-Express 3.0? i found one for £234

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xZeddd View Post
    I think im going for a Sapphire HD6950 2Gb gddr5 price/quality the best I think , no ?
    It's a good card, yeah.

However, I'm not sure what the prices are like in Europe/Belgium (you gave no context lol), but, as others have said, over here the 6950 and 7850 are priced pretty evenly. If that's the case over there as well, or wherever you're planning to buy from, go with the 7850. Performance is about the same across the board between the two, but the 7850 runs a little cooler and consumes less power. If the cost of the 6950 is lower though -- enough for you to decide it's a better buy -- then you're right on the money, yeah.

As I suggested before, just do your research. As long as you're making an informed decision, there is no wrong answer or bad decision; it's not rocket science.

looking at euro prices (well scan / ocuk/ebuyer) it seeems the 6950`s are actually a little more than the 7850 and gtx 570

The 6900 cards have been steadily increasing in price since last summer.

Deleted
    you choose anand and i choose Techpowerup , 100w (a light bulb) is the power difference , noise are the same (40db) - but ofc that test is subjective (and uses reference cooling); given the GTX 570 has been replaced bargains are to be had , especailly with the non reference and better cards ; the asus direct cuii comes to mind, faster , uses less power and quiter under load than the 7850 is at idle!!

nah the GTX 570 is better than a 7850 - now if you had said the 7870 then they are far more of a match....
    Okay you chose to compare the cards in one single game, World of Warcraft... Which we all know if much more dependent on the CPU than anything else. The list I provided you compares a lot more things than just WoW.

The 7850 has a lot of overclocking headroom but no you're simply wrong when you say the 570 uses less power etc. and considering the 7850 is either cheaper or same cost then yeah it's a better buy no doubt about it. That's not to say the 570 is bad at all just that there is better options in the price range. 7870 would blow the 570 away pretty much.

impressive that a card from 2010 is barely beaten by a card 2 years newer..... or even loses to that 2 year old fermi....

Deleted
    impressive that a card from 2010 is barely beaten by a card 2 years newer..... or even loses to that 2 year old fermi....
    A GTX 480 is still faster than a 7770. A 5870x2 is faster than a GTX 560 Ti. What's your point?

The 7850 is aimed at replacing the 6850, or perhaps the 6870. These new cards still have a price-premium because they lack competition (i.e. no GTX 660, GTS 650 or GT 640 is on the market yet). The only competition they have is from the last generation; i.e. the GTX 570, which was one of nVidia's (previous generation) high-end cards.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-06-04 at 02:55 PM.

Deleted
    Just like Marest, I don't get your point and I agree with what he said. All you can do is compare two cards priced similarly and in this case there is little reason to buy the GTX 570, perhaps if it was cheaper but it's not.

Deleted
    i thnk u meen the 7850 thats 230 € the 7870 costs over 300 :s

I found an amazing price for a HD7850 in your country: http://www.pixmania.be/be/fr/1198434...-go-gddr5.html

If that isn't a good deal, then I don't know what is Just my recommendation.

Deleted
    https://www.alternate.be/html/pcbuil...=1&tn=BUILDERS
    isnt this one better as the one u suggest ?

Well, they're both clocked at 860mhz on the core, but that Sapphire does have better cooling. Other than that, they're still HD7850's. Note that these cards barely tend to run hot or use up much power anyway due to their new 28nm design, that is far more efficient than the 560 and 6870.

It's up to you though, nobody can give you a right or wrong answer but yourself, and that is whether or not if you can justify the extra 30EUR on better GPU cooling power.
    Last edited by Drakoes; 2012-06-04 at 06:48 PM.