Page 1 of 2
LastLast

US absorbs entire adult popluation of canada...

And not a single one had a job, is how this person put just the GAIN in our unemployed population in the US.

http://www.businessinsider.com/100-m...#ixzz1wTaHFtpi

So yeah, despite all the people saying "Its looking up!" "things are getting better!" (Big surprise that people would say that during an election year, right? ((Both sides have done this)) it sure does not look like it for the people that still cannot find work.

Reading the article, they're counting everyone over 16? So does that include the 16-18 year olds who are busy with high school, and all the retired people? That could sway the number significantly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Reading the article, they're counting everyone over 16? So does that include the 16-18 year olds who are busy with high school, and all the retired people? That could sway the number significantly.
    That is the standard tactic. I'm sure they didn't mention that the US has a single state with a higher population than all of Canada as well?

"Specifically, these are people who are part of the civilian over-16 non-institutional population"

Not sure if that counts high school or not, but regardless...I had a job since the time I was 14, not like you cannot have a summer job or after school job and still do great in school ;P

But yes, that would sway the number if you cut off the lazy (to me, dang kids these days) high schoolers.

Sometimes I wish we could for a few years just focus on demanding our goverment to bring jobs back to the U.S. through corporate regulation. We need our people employed and making a decent wage and when that happens we will be able to afford health and life insurance as well as to own homes and vehicles again, you know like it used to be before everybody realized it was monetarily worthwhile to outsource their labor force. Instead we get the constant, we need healthacre fixed NOW, we need immigration controlled NOW, we need more gun control and video game warnings NOW. It's like we have been focusing on the wrong stuff for so long that we'v forgotten that the average household used to be able to support itself nicely on a single individual's income without having to sacrifice home ownership and things like vacation time etc. Well that's my rant, thanks for tuning in.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    That is the standard tactic. I'm sure they didn't mention that the US has a single state with a higher population than all of Canada as well?
    And I am sure THEY MENTIONED THAT THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE THREAD SO WHY DID YOU POST IT? :P

Just mentioning that the "RAISE" in that number is like absorbing the entire adult popluation of canada does not mean they are saying we are somehow terrible compared to them or anything, it was giving something called a "non-number" measure. Pretty popular device, you know.

Funny how you say it is a tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    And I am sure THEY MENTIONED THAT THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE THREAD SO WHY DID YOU POST IT? :P

Just mentioning that the "RAISE" in that number is like absorbing the entire adult popluation of canada does not mean they are saying we are somehow terrible compared to them or anything, it was giving something called a "non-number" measure. Pretty popular device, you know.

Funny how you say it is a tactic.
    It is a standard tactic of fearmongers and nay-sayers to count the retired as people 'out of work'. If you aren't looking for work, you shouldn't be counted as 'out of work'. Lots of them also count the entire population instead of just everyone over 16.

And the scare-tactic claiming that THE ENTIRE POPULATION OF CANADA IS OUT OF WORK is pretty easily countered since Canada has around 35million people and the US has around 330million.

It is a standard tactic of fearmongers and nay-sayers to count the retired as people 'out of work'. If you aren't looking for work, you shouldn't be counted as 'out of work'. Lots of them also count the entire population instead of just everyone over 16.

And the scare-tactic claiming that THE ENTIRE POPULATION OF CANADA IS OUT OF WORK is pretty easily countered since Canada has around 35million people and the US has around 330million.

I don't think you read the thread or the article linked. But ok then

They are not saying "The entire population of canada is out of work!" (though it is, but like you said, it does not matter) they were using it as a "non-number measuring stick" If you had read the post you QUOTED, you would have realized that. It was giving a reference to the RISE only in that number, not in the entire thing. please, before you post how everything you do not believe in is a conspiracy, at least READ the thread.

I had my first job when I was 16, worked 25+ hours per week while doing high school. I thought that was kind of usual. Maybe not?

Now I'm an employer myself, and I have so many applications and every position filled. I wish I could hire everyone...

I don't think you read the thread or the article linked. But ok then

They are not saying "The entire population of canada is out of work!" (though it is, but like you said, it does not matter) they were using it as a "non-number measuring stick" If you had read the post you QUOTED, you would have realized that. It was giving a reference to the RISE only in that number, not in the entire thing. please, before you post how everything you do not believe in is a conspiracy, at least READ the thread.
    I'm responding to what they are saying. You don't understand what I'm saying and that is fine. They are using it as a scare tactic. OH MY GOD SO MANY PEOPLE IN THE US ARE OUT OF WORK THAT ITS LIKE IF NO ONE IN CANADA HAD A JOB. And then you stop and realize that the population of Canada is about 10% that of the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's 100 million people including the still in school, the old, the infirm, the homeless, the disabled, stay at homes, unreported income, and unicorns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

And then you stop and realize that the population of Canada is about 10% that of the US.
    10% is really high, especially considering how many people are cut from those numbers. I know a few people who were laid off, looked for jobs, and decided to become house wives/husbands instead. They would take a job if there was one in their field that paid more than daycare for kids etc. would cost but there just aren't any. They aren't included in the unemployment figures after a while.

---------- Post added 2012-06-01 at 06:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    ...and unicorns.
    Don't forget the wizards. Never forget the wizards.

I'm responding to what they are saying. You don't understand what I'm saying and that is fine. They are using it as a scare tactic. OH MY GOD SO MANY PEOPLE IN THE US ARE OUT OF WORK THAT ITS LIKE IF NO ONE IN CANADA HAD A JOB. And then you stop and realize that the population of Canada is about 10% that of the US.

And you STILL do not get the point, and you STILL keep posting the same, wrong argument. Good job! It is not even an opinion; your argument is factually wrong.

---------- Post added 2012-06-01 at 01:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    10% is really high, especially considering how many people are cut from those numbers. I know a few people who were laid off, looked for jobs, and decided to become house wives/husbands instead. They would take a job if there was one in their field that paid more than daycare for kids etc. would cost but there just aren't any. They aren't included in the unemployment figures after a while.

---------- Post added 2012-06-01 at 06:07 AM ----------

And that is true to. Both sides exaggerate a bit, (or a lot) that say it is x low or x high. My friend does not work in the winters, by the end of winter he is not even counted among the unemployed people for some reason, despite not having a job. Quite silly really.

Don't forget the wizards. Never forget the wizards.

And that is true to. Both sides exaggerate a bit, (or a lot) that say it is x low or x high. My friend does not work in the winters, by the end of winter he is not even counted among the unemployed people for some reason, despite not having a job. Quite silly really.

---------- Post added 2012-06-01 at 01:08 AM ----------

That's 100 million people including the still in school, the old, the infirm, the homeless, the disabled, stay at homes, unreported income, and unicorns.

Hmm, just like the "Official" unemployment number also fudges things? Good to know both numbers are completely wrong then!

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    And I'm not saying that 10% isn't really high. I'm saying counting EVERYONE over the age of 16 who isn't in prison is a mistake. I'm also saying that trying to talk about a huge nation being completely out of work is a mistake. I really doubt that most US citizens know that Canada only has a population of 35 million as opposed to the US 311million (just looked it up).

And I'm not saying that 10% isn't really high. I'm saying counting EVERYONE over the age of 16 who isn't in prison is a mistake. I'm also saying that trying to talk about a huge nation being completely out of work is a mistake. I really doubt that most US citizens know that Canada only has a population of 35 million as opposed to the US 311million (just looked it up).
    Of course. I don't know that I was arguing anything specific.

It is staggering to think that an entire country could account for our own unemployed. Here's a thing... http://data.bls.gov/pdq/SurveyOutput...me=LN_cpsbref3

Makes a graph. Or should. 8%-ish unemployed right now by their numbers, not counting the non-people who would work if they could but aren't reported for whatever reason. (sarcasm, I'm not calling anyone a non-person).

8% of the US population is 25 million. That's nearly two of Tokyo, two of Paris, or three of New York City, or three of London. (Figures may or may not include metro areas).

I don't know if it's more or less staggering to think of it as an entire country being unemployed, or the entirety of some of the largest cities in the world being unemployed multiple times over.

10+ Year Old Account

Canada only has 35 million people total? Seriously? So, what, Canada is like 30% human, 60% moose, and 10% polar bear?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Canada only has 35 million people total? Seriously? So, what, Canada is like 30% human, 60% moose, and 10% polar bear?
    Yea man. 34.8million is the estimate for 2012. Moose are very large animals, I don't think there is 70 million of em in Canada. You forget about stuff like Caribou and Elk. And lots more than just polar bears.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    More or less, actually.

Still not sure why counting kids in highschool is a good thing for figuring out who is not working.

---------- Post added 2012-06-01 at 02:26 AM ----------

Hmm, just like the "Official" unemployment number also fudges things? Good to know both numbers are completely wrong then!
    I don't... I don't understand what your deal is, but you seem like an unpleasant fellow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

I am sorry to say this but this is a dumb article, with dumb ass numbers and drawing even dumber parallels.

First of all wast majority of people do not enter the work force before the age of 18 to 25 something depending on education available to them. Please remember that many of the most highly paid jobs are education intensive all the way untill your late 20's.

Then you have black market jobs, that are a by product of bad buisness practices and not enough regulation and enforcement. I know that many people in the U.S blame liberals for the massive illegal immigration problem but the real issue is with the employers willing to contract them. Much tighter regulation on employers with very serious fines and strict enforcement of said regulations is the way forward to cut back on illegal immigration.

You dont need to build big fences on your border. You need to go after the people who provoke and facilitate the problem.

Anyways. Dumb article.

Romney's wife is probably counted into that... that's pretty funny he'd use his wife's unemployment against Obama.

16 until end-of-college shouldn't count in my opinion.
    People on Social Security shouldn't count.
    Why can't anyone just break up the data by all these various groups, and let us filter on what we want to see? because each group slants same statistics the way they want.