Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Scarab Lord Frozen Death Knight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    I didn't play the other games (at least not enough to make it something to talk about), but I own the Book of Cain, and have seen a bunch of "recap" videos on the lore, and I hardly see how it isn't as well as any of the other lore.
    I never said that I disliked the lore. My problem with it is some of the execution and a few problems with the theming by having the game not complementing the story elements well enough.

I just want anyone to honestly answer this for yourselves; did you ever feel like you ever were going to lose to any of the bosses in the game? When you answer "no", which is the most honest answer you can give, then you will understand the problem a lot of people have with the story. From the moment you swing your weapon against the first zombie in Act I, you feel like a superhero with godlike powers that are above everyone else. While it is really fun to be like that, it creates a disconnect with the actual conflict, since it makes pretty much everyone, even Diablo himself, feel a lot less intimidating than he could have been.

I am not saying that the game is bad or anything of the sort, or that the story does not have any good elements to it, but the fact remains, it is hard connecting to some of the characters because of how the game plays out. The combat is excellent in this game, but frankly, it simply undermines the opponents too much to make people feel "man, the stakes are quite high for my character".

There are other issues as well, but I am not going to get into those, and frankly, I have no wish to make people think that I am bashing or loving Blizzard for what I think is good, bad, or okay with the game.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2012-06-07 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    I never said that I disliked the lore. My problem with it is some of the execution and a few problems with the theming by having the game not complementing the story elements well enough.

I just want anyone to honestly answer this for yourselves; did you ever feel like you ever were going to lose to any of the bosses in the game? When you answer "no", which is the most honest answer you can give, then you will understand the problem a lot of people have with the story. From the moment you swing your weapon against the first zombie in Act I, you feel like a superhero with godlike powers that are above everyone else. While it is really fun to be like that, it creates a disconnect with the actual conflict, since it makes pretty much everyone, even Diablo himself, feel a lot less intimidating than he could have been.

I am not saying that the game is bad or anything of the sort, or that the story does not have any good elements to it, but the fact remains, it is hard connecting to some of the characters because of how the game plays out. The combat is excellent in this game, but frankly, it simply undermines the opponents too much to make people feel "man, the stakes are quite high for my character".

There are other issues as well, but I am not going to get into those, and frankly, I have no wish to make people think that I am bashing or loving Blizzard for what I think is good, bad, or okay with the game.
    Well, did that ever happen in Diablo 2? You can't really feel threatened when you know you gotta face em three times after that, where it just get's a lot harder.
    Belief can become reality!

I just want anyone to honestly answer this for yourselves; did you ever feel like you ever were going to lose to any of the bosses in the game? When you answer "no", which is the most honest answer you can give, then you will understand the problem a lot of people have with the story.
    I can safely say I have NEVER felt like I was going to lose in ANY video game. Only ones where losing is part of the story, it is painfully obvious you are. It's like going to see a James Bond movie and expecting him to die. It's just stupid, its a cliche as old as time.

Well, did that ever happen in Diablo 2? You can't really feel threatened when you know you gotta face em three times after that, where it just get's a lot harder.
    Well, it happened more in Diablo 1, honestly. Even though I have never played the original, from just the footage I could see immediately why the game felt a lot more terrifying than say, Diablo 2 and 3.

Also, yes, the difficulty plays a role in that, but it also has a lot to do with how spells and animations portray you character. Even Diablo 2, the spells and attacks did not feel nearly as powerful as in Diablo 3.

Well I got 3 different characters in level 60 on Inferno as of now. I am currently leveling a 4th and I'm not one bit tired of the game. I have been playing both Diablo 1 and 2 since my childhood, and I think people who is bored of Diablo 3, didn't really know what the game was about to begin with.. It's the exact same thing as of the previous games..

Now Star Wars.. Yes I agree with that, it is the movie I hate to start out with, when watching the yearly Star Wars Marathon
    I chase dollars floating on the street even tho it doesn't make sence.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggowaffles View Post
    I can safely say I have NEVER felt like I was going to lose in ANY video game. Only ones where losing is part of the story, it is painfully obvious you are. It's like going to see a James Bond movie and expecting him to die. It's just stupid, its a cliche as old as time.
    Well, like any movie, I could pretty much predict how all the endings would turn out. Though, what I am talking about is the journey there. For instance, even if you knew that Frodo and Sam would cast the One Ring into Mount Doom in The Return of the King and save the day, would you have felt that it was a huge accomplishment if they fought through all the enemies and stabbed Sauron in the eye before casting the Ring into the fires?

Grunt
    Please stop compairing Diablo 3 to WoW, and if you say Diablo 3 is a bad game while you have played more than 100 hours just stop trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePackness View Post
    . It's the exact same thing as of the previous games..
    That's the problem in my opinion. It's the exact same thing minus the pleasure of getting gear and no lobby.

I'm not sure what the point of the thread is other than someone saying, hey I've played it a lot and I dont like it. I'm not in love with the game either, but it's enjoyable for me. I've loved the series enough to enjoy it for what it is. I dont think it has the lasting power, but that remains to be seen. It certainly has sold well, and people are playing it.

The game is still in it's infancy, it's still being tweaked and adjusted. Seems like about 60 days after a launch is a moderately good time to measure "was it successful"? If the adjustments are met with success with the players, then it probably will be.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

oh flak yeah, it happened when I got the first slap from Duriel and the space where I had to fight him. SO MUCH ROOM FOR ACTIVITIES!
    On the lore side no I did never feel threatened by the bosses, and NPCs never had me feel that way, I was always treated as the super hero of the situation by NPC as far as I can remember

I was very disappointed, and I only got excited about it while it was downloading...

It might have hundreds of hours in potential game play, but if I get bored after 2 hours its a waste. The story was lacking and the mechanics dated, nothing revolutionary happened to warrant the development time it had.

D3, to me, is a decent game. And that right there is probably the problem. It's not that D3 is bad, it's just that it's not good as you hoped. You were expecting the second coming, and all you got was pizza. Pizza's great, sure, but it's not what you were expecting.

Ultimately they changed too little to make it stand out on it's own, possibly because they were afraid that if they changed too much, people would hate it. Which is... probably what would happen. They lose either way.

That is the inevitable cycle of the hype machine. Remember Duke Nukem Forever? Yeah...
    Last edited by Khadhar; 2012-06-08 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwaidan View Post
    "That was a worthy foe!"
    ''By all that is holy, do you see that enemy over there!?''

''What a monstrous creature!''

''Black magic bars our way. Butthewillofatemplar is stronger!''

''We have done it''

''JondAAr''

''You were defeated the moment you surrendered to madness!''

God how I love that douche.

Quote Originally Posted by Khadhar View Post
    That is the inevitable cycle of the hype machine. Remember Duke Nukem Forever? Yeah...
    Difference is that Duke Nukem Forever sucked balls. Diablo 3 is at worst decent. It is a really well constructed game. You can't deny it, the game is good for what it is, whether it lived up to your expectations is a whole other question. As a first time Diablo player I found the game surprisingly good, and looking at Diablo 2 there are just mechanics I can't understand that some people liked, like potion spamming. And I guess that is what this game was, a game for newcomers, but not really true to the veterans, it isn't as primitive as its past incarnations. I fear that the hype combined with Diablo 2 nostalgia is what inevitably ended up killing the game for tons of fans.
    Last edited by MasterOfKnees; 2012-06-08 at 08:08 AM.

Diablo III is a game I'll pick away at very slowly because I get bored very quickly with it. Slow paced and clicky, not too engrossing for me, hence why I'm only in act 2 of normal lol.

What I really need is another Monster Hunter game. Have over 200 hours on Monster Hunter Tri for Wii and thinking of going back to prepare for Monster Hunter 3G on 3DS :P

Or Dark Souls, but I sold my PS3 to my brother before that came out.

Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    ''
    Difference is that Duke Nukem Forever sucked balls. Diablo 3 is at worst decent. It is a really well constructed game. You can't deny it, the game is good for what it is, whether it lived up to your expectations is a whole other question. As a first time Diablo player I found the game surprisingly good, and looking at Diablo 2 there are just mechanics I can't understand that some people liked, like potion spamming. And I guess that is what this game was, a game for newcomers, but not really true to the veterans, it isn't as primitive as its past incarnations. I fear that the hype combined with Diablo 2 nostalgia is what inevitably ended up killing the game for tons of fans.
    Diablo 3 at worst is more like a 6/10. It depends what you qualify as decent. For a Blizzard release it's bad. Real bad.

There was a discussion in this thread earlier about how blizzard designed loot and drop rates with the auction house in mind, here's an official statement saying that isn't true.

The auction house has absolutely no effect on drop rates. There are conspiracy theories and misunderstandings but I do want to re-iterate, the is NO interaction whatsoever. Bashiok mentioned earlier that we took the AH into account, so let me expand a little bit on that.

The drop rates were tuned for a player who would never use the Auction House. For the majority of internal development we didn't have an Auction House, we all played using our own drops only. I've personally leveled multiple characters from 1 to 60 internally before the game came out using only drops that I found - we all did.

When we say we "took the AH into account" that means it's one of many factors. ie. some players will choose to play without trading, some players would play in a group of 4 where they share drops among each other, and some (as it turns out, many) players would use the AH.

Three weeks after launch player's gear is much higher than what we were expecting. When I killed the Butcher on Inferno for the first time I was using a weapon with 492 DPS. There are also certain passives which are much more powerful than they were during internal development. One With Everything, for example, was basically never used internally because we didn't have an auction House. With the auction house, it feels like a mandatory passive. In retrospect we should have seen it coming. In the game's current state though, it's a powerful Monk ability that gives Monks a big survivability boost and has some interesting (some would argue fun, others would argue negative) effects on gearing.

I consider playing without the Auction House to be a very fun way to play the game. I'm personally planning on rolling some new characters that I'll set aside to be "no-AH/no-twink" characters. Much like in D2 when I would make a new character with a friend and we'd agree with each other not to twink our characters out.
    and here's a question by another poster:

You've been quoted as saying that Diablo III loot is balanced around the existence of the Auction House. Could you clarify what you mean by that? Many people seem to assume that means there is "less" or "poorer" loot being dropped on an individual basis because we're expected to get our actual upgrades from the Auction House. I read it more as the existence of the Auction House allows a much wider variety of loot affixes. If a person had to rely on only their own drops or ad hoc trading, the game would have to roll most items with +Primary Stat and +Vitality/Resist. With the Auction House in play, the game can roll literally millions of crazy stat combinations, because even if you only get "crazy" drops, you can still use the Auction House for the hard-to-upgrade slots. Thoughts?
    to which Jay responded:
    I'm sorry, I don't remember saying that and if I did then I was drunk and/or wrong. We tuned and balanced the game without the auction house, as there weren't enough people internally using it to test it against gameplay, so we didn't design anything for it.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post

When we say we "took the AH into account" that means it's one of many factors.

See that's the problem I have with their responses. They never quite explain how or what they took into account with the AH. They never give you any detail about how the auction house made them rethink loot or how its changed because of the AH. All they'll tell you is "it was a factor" well that's meaningless. We know that. In fact that's what led to the initial confusion. Your answers aren't clear so people fill in the blanks.

The drop rates were tuned for a player who would never use the Auction House.
    that's really all I need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    Diablo III is a game I'll pick away at very slowly because I get bored very quickly with it. Slow paced and clicky, not too engrossing for me, hence why I'm only in act 2 of normal lol.

What I really need is another Monster Hunter game. Have over 200 hours on Monster Hunter Tri for Wii and thinking of going back to prepare for Monster Hunter 3G on 3DS :P

Or Dark Souls, but I sold my PS3 to my brother before that came out.
    Slow... Paced? I can't believe someone actually said that.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    Diablo 3 at worst is more like a 6/10. It depends what you qualify as decent. For a Blizzard release it's bad. Real bad.
    I take a 5/10-6/10 score as decent, so it seems reasonable.