Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WillFeral View Post
    World of Warcraft,Destroyer of MMO's since '04.

Are you stupid; Diablo isn't an MMO.....

Quote Originally Posted by Draust View Post
    Leah, by far. The most underdeveloped character you're supposed to care about, but the more you actually listen to what she says, you realize that she's just Jar Jar Binks.
    Leah is actually way more developed than you give her credit for. Just cuz she's the main supporting character and not someone from the previous games, doesn't mean she's 'underdeveloped' or even 'Jar Jar Binks (which is about as stupid a comparison as you could make).' Sure she says repetitive things as she accompanies you on quests, but that's pretty much every character that accompanies you on quests, including your followers.

I hate to tell you this but the random system is not new. It is what makes Diablo Diablo, and its what makes Diablo spawn dozens of rip offs. Any dungeon crawler you see today is because of Diablo. If D3 didn't have random drops then those who enjoyed D2 and D1 would explode like a million megaton nerdbomb. If you didn't know about that aspect of the game then I'm sorry but its a staple of the Genre. Frankly there wouldn't be any challenge to the game if the game gave you exactly what you need whenever you needed it. There are enough people complaining that the game is too easy as it is.
    Actually, the loot system they used in D3 IS new in comparison to D1 & D2.

1. Items have minimum level requirements (which is stupid) that prevent many items from being good. I've gotten just a shit ton of items that COULD be useful for my lower level characters, but they have a level requirement of level 50 or something on them, so they are just trash.

2. Rares drop the best items now instead of bosses, so instead of farming a boss repeatedly for the items you want, you have to farm rares.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post

Very cool story. Brah we know you hate everything about the devilspawn company known as Blizzard and you're just one of those people that lurks around here to complain at every chance you get, you're not fooling anyone. You don't comment or discuss, not even close, you just like to bitch and accuse others of being fanboys. Not giving you the satisfaction you were expecting, I take it? If it did I imagine you would have gotten a life at this point and moved on. But nope, still here I see.

But I don't hate everything from Blizzard. I love sc2 and I can't wait for HoTS (although I will most definitely pay closer attention to it's release and not presume good product on the part of Blizzard) that's why d3 hurts so much. It's such a shit game for their normal usual quality of work.

I don't really have strong feelings on this matter, but I'll put in my two cents anyway.

I played a bit of Diablo 2 and a bit of Diablo 3. I only played normal mode on both of them (so far.) I've enjoyed both greatly. Diablo 3 certainly isn't the flop of the series in my opinion. Consider that the final state of Diablo 2 is what most people compare Diablo 3 too. Diablo 2's final state was polished and held as the king of ARPGs. Diablo 3 is missing a lot of what Diablo 2 had in the end. What is missing can be patched in and fixed. Diablo 3 entertained me much more (just in terms of normal mode.) I will continue to play both and enjoy both.

If you picked up Diablo 3 looking to have some fun hacking and slashing at enemies it's fun. If I enjoy the game for at least 60 hours it will beat the last 50 dollar investment that lasted me that long. I foresee that it will last me even longer. If Inferno mode causes you so much rage go play another class or another game entirely. Gaming is entirely a way to spend time in a fun manner. When a game causes grief rather than fun it's time to put it down. You can come back to it later, you might be surprised with a refreshed viewpoint.

I feel like I'm missing the point, but I'm just trying to say that I don't feel like Diablo 3 is even a flop at all. Maybe I had no expectations or information about it at all when I bought it, I didn't hype it up either. I didn't even plan on buying it until I picked up Diablo 2.

i was a true D2 addict, cuz of the way MF runs were: fast and always the thrill of a nice golden item dropping. I havent felt this thrill even once in D3 sofar. The fact that rares are more interresting than legendaries, is the most disappointing for me. I can only speak for myself, but the new loot system and the AH are not fun, and i dont see myself playing this for long. After so many years of waiting for this one, i can't help but feel like saying "good effort, sport, but not quite there yet..."

But who knows what future patches will bring... i'm not throwing it in the bin just yet, but i am shelving it for now, and gonna look for a decent way to play D2 on windows 7, even if its only for a few hours of nostalgia. "LIT LIT LIT LIT"... ahh good times, good times...

perhaps Torchlight2 will satisfy me more. Or perhaps i've grown tired of the genre, who knows

So Jay Wilson responded on /r/Diablo about the story.

According to him MOST people actually liked the presentation of the story. I don't what the hell he's smoking to think that anyone would consider Diablo 3's plot portrayal to be anything better than a children's tv show.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post

According to him MOST people actually liked the presentation of the story. I don't what the hell he's smoking to think that anyone would consider Diablo 3's plot portrayal to be anything better than a children's tv show.

Hello Flaks, let me introduce you to Diablo Lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post

There are a lot of good children shows as well as there are a lot of bad adult shows. Why you even have to bring up children shows in a bad light instead of saying that you dislike the story is beyond me.

As for the responce to the criticism of the story, I am curious as to where they mostly got their feedback from. I personally think the story gave mixed results, but it was not necessarily bad in my eyes. I suppose it's mostly new players to the franchise that liked it, since there were a lot more surprises to them than for the people who knew about previous Diablo games. I found it very clear that the game was tailored for new players in mind, which is why the plot points were a lot more "in your face" so to speak.

I had a friend who did not really play the previous Diablo games that liked the story. I guess that is where most of the positive reactions are coming from, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    There are a lot of good children shows as well as there are a lot of bad adult shows. Why you even have to bring up children shows in a bad light instead of saying that you dislike the story is beyond me.

As for the responce to the criticism of the story, I am curious as to where they mostly hear their feedback from. I personally think the story gave mixed results, but it was not necessarily bad in my eyes. I suppose it's mostly new players to the franchise that liked it, since there were a lot more surprises to them than for the people who knew about previous Diablo games. I found it very clear that the game was tailored for new players in mind, which is why the plot points were a lot more "in your face" so to speak.

I had a friend who did not really play the previous Diablo games that liked the story. I guess that is where most of the positive reactions are coming from, really.
    I didn't play the other games (at least not enough to make it something to talk about), but I own the Book of Cain, and have seen a bunch of "recap" videos on the lore, and I hardly see how it isn't as well as any of the other lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    I didn't play the other games (at least not enough to make it something to talk about), but I own the Book of Cain, and have seen a bunch of "recap" videos on the lore, and I hardly see how it isn't as well as any of the other lore.
    I never said that I disliked the lore. My problem with it is some of the execution and a few problems with the theming by having the game not complementing the story elements well enough.

I just want anyone to honestly answer this for yourselves; did you ever feel like you ever were going to lose to any of the bosses in the game? When you answer "no", which is the most honest answer you can give, then you will understand the problem a lot of people have with the story. From the moment you swing your weapon against the first zombie in Act I, you feel like a superhero with godlike powers that are above everyone else. While it is really fun to be like that, it creates a disconnect with the actual conflict, since it makes pretty much everyone, even Diablo himself, feel a lot less intimidating than he could have been.

I am not saying that the game is bad or anything of the sort, or that the story does not have any good elements to it, but the fact remains, it is hard connecting to some of the characters because of how the game plays out. The combat is excellent in this game, but frankly, it simply undermines the opponents too much to make people feel "man, the stakes are quite high for my character".

There are other issues as well, but I am not going to get into those, and frankly, I have no wish to make people think that I am bashing or loving Blizzard for what I think is good, bad, or okay with the game.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2012-06-07 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    I never said that I disliked the lore. My problem with it is some of the execution and a few problems with the theming by having the game not complementing the story elements well enough.

I just want anyone to honestly answer this for yourselves; did you ever feel like you ever were going to lose to any of the bosses in the game? When you answer "no", which is the most honest answer you can give, then you will understand the problem a lot of people have with the story. From the moment you swing your weapon against the first zombie in Act I, you feel like a superhero with godlike powers that are above everyone else. While it is really fun to be like that, it creates a disconnect with the actual conflict, since it makes pretty much everyone, even Diablo himself, feel a lot less intimidating than he could have been.

I am not saying that the game is bad or anything of the sort, or that the story does not have any good elements to it, but the fact remains, it is hard connecting to some of the characters because of how the game plays out. The combat is excellent in this game, but frankly, it simply undermines the opponents too much to make people feel "man, the stakes are quite high for my character".

There are other issues as well, but I am not going to get into those, and frankly, I have no wish to make people think that I am bashing or loving Blizzard for what I think is good, bad, or okay with the game.
    Well, did that ever happen in Diablo 2? You can't really feel threatened when you know you gotta face em three times after that, where it just get's a lot harder.

I just want anyone to honestly answer this for yourselves; did you ever feel like you ever were going to lose to any of the bosses in the game? When you answer "no", which is the most honest answer you can give, then you will understand the problem a lot of people have with the story.
    I can safely say I have NEVER felt like I was going to lose in ANY video game. Only ones where losing is part of the story, it is painfully obvious you are. It's like going to see a James Bond movie and expecting him to die. It's just stupid, its a cliche as old as time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, did that ever happen in Diablo 2? You can't really feel threatened when you know you gotta face em three times after that, where it just get's a lot harder.
    Well, it happened more in Diablo 1, honestly. Even though I have never played the original, from just the footage I could see immediately why the game felt a lot more terrifying than say, Diablo 2 and 3.

Also, yes, the difficulty plays a role in that, but it also has a lot to do with how spells and animations portray you character. Even Diablo 2, the spells and attacks did not feel nearly as powerful as in Diablo 3.

Deleted
    Well I got 3 different characters in level 60 on Inferno as of now. I am currently leveling a 4th and I'm not one bit tired of the game. I have been playing both Diablo 1 and 2 since my childhood, and I think people who is bored of Diablo 3, didn't really know what the game was about to begin with.. It's the exact same thing as of the previous games..

Now Star Wars.. Yes I agree with that, it is the movie I hate to start out with, when watching the yearly Star Wars Marathon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggowaffles View Post
    I can safely say I have NEVER felt like I was going to lose in ANY video game. Only ones where losing is part of the story, it is painfully obvious you are. It's like going to see a James Bond movie and expecting him to die. It's just stupid, its a cliche as old as time.
    Well, like any movie, I could pretty much predict how all the endings would turn out. Though, what I am talking about is the journey there. For instance, even if you knew that Frodo and Sam would cast the One Ring into Mount Doom in The Return of the King and save the day, would you have felt that it was a huge accomplishment if they fought through all the enemies and stabbed Sauron in the eye before casting the Ring into the fires?

Deleted
    Please stop compairing Diablo 3 to WoW, and if you say Diablo 3 is a bad game while you have played more than 100 hours just stop trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePackness View Post
    . It's the exact same thing as of the previous games..
    That's the problem in my opinion. It's the exact same thing minus the pleasure of getting gear and no lobby.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure what the point of the thread is other than someone saying, hey I've played it a lot and I dont like it. I'm not in love with the game either, but it's enjoyable for me. I've loved the series enough to enjoy it for what it is. I dont think it has the lasting power, but that remains to be seen. It certainly has sold well, and people are playing it.

The game is still in it's infancy, it's still being tweaked and adjusted. Seems like about 60 days after a launch is a moderately good time to measure "was it successful"? If the adjustments are met with success with the players, then it probably will be.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

Deleted
    oh flak yeah, it happened when I got the first slap from Duriel and the space where I had to fight him. SO MUCH ROOM FOR ACTIVITIES!
    On the lore side no I did never feel threatened by the bosses, and NPCs never had me feel that way, I was always treated as the super hero of the situation by NPC as far as I can remember

I was very disappointed, and I only got excited about it while it was downloading...

It might have hundreds of hours in potential game play, but if I get bored after 2 hours its a waste. The story was lacking and the mechanics dated, nothing revolutionary happened to warrant the development time it had.