Thread: Monk or Barb???

Monk or Barb???

I didn't see a post and this issue is really bugging me because I am absolutely stuck. I leveled both barbarian and monk to lv5 so it's a small sample size and was set to focus on monk when I was warned that monks cannot solo inferno. In terms of the fun factor they seemed a wash with the edge going to monk. I would prefer to be able to solo the most I can so I was recommended to go barb, but I was wondering what advice you guys could offer in helping me decide. I'm especially interested in how the classes hold up in the harder difficulties because I want to take the character all the way to 60 and get the secret/bonus level. I noticed just from my limited time that monk takes more damage but is faster and does more dps while the barb seems the proton-typical tank (little damage but virtually no hp loss from mobs). Thanks!

15+ Year Old Account
    the monk is a classic tank if played well - Resist-Items (just against one type, monk-passive ftw), vit/dex-items, and a couple of other passives and you get yourself a tank the likes of you aint seen before, even in Inferno. naturally ultra-high dodge (skills+mainstat), extremely high armor (passive), way cheaper high resist-items than the other classes due to the one-with-everything passive... I'm currently Inferno-ing a 1h+Shield-Monk and can only recommend the fun ^^
    (and never underestimate the sheer fun coming from a monk with a 2hand slashing away onehitting everything )

Barbs take hp-loss from mobs, and they do so a *lot* - but if you're a good barb, you refill constantly through your aoe-cleave-thing. seen quite a couple of barbs I played with going "ok.. a single mob? my hp-regen is ..Fuuuuuu"

oh,and you can get the pony-level on any char you want, the staff is BoA

You're misinformed. Both monk and barbarian can solo inferno, but only with the help of AH. Both are extremly gear dependant and to live through inferno both are building insanely tanky. So if you want to play proper dps class don't touch melee (at least in their curent state). Still playing both monk and barb is really fun (at least compared to wizard from my expirience), just be ready to run for your live from time to time waiting for cd's to get back up.

P.S. Monk inferno Act 3 here.

I do have friends that play so that can help too, but thank the two of you for clarifying the situation for me. Basically I just did forum searches and everyone seemed to hate on monks and say it was impossible to solo inferno without kitting. I'd prefer not to kite but it's not something I'm opposed to so long as it doesn't happen a lot. My main reason for going solo through Inferno is that I like the challenge but one point you made I found interesting was that monks have cheaper items. I think I'll go monk for now then since I found it much faster paced than barb. Thanks guys!

If you want to use a shield roll a Barb. Monks dont use shields.

Quote Originally Posted by Alilei32 View Post
    If you want to use a shield roll a Barb. Monks dont use shields.
    Blatantly incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Blatantly incorrect.
    If people would stop using them as crutches the class might actually get fixed. Monks are agile fighters who use their high dodge as their main defense and either dual wield different types of weapons or use various 2 handed weapons. THEY DONT USE SHIELDS!

If people would stop using them as crutches the class might actually get fixed. Monks are agile fighters who use their high dodge as their main defense and either dual wield different types of weapons or use various 2 handed weapons. THEY DONT USE SHIELDS!
    Except that isn't what actually happens in Inferno. Blizz should have learned from DK's that Dodge is a dumb mechanic. RNG for survival is stupid.

Deleted
    Please do not state your opinion of what the monk class should be as fact

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    Please do not state your opinion of what the monk class should be as fact
    please, like anyone visualizes a monk using a heavy shield.

Also it actually is fact. Google Shaolin monks and there are many videos of their weapon demonstrations. Let me know when you find one where they use a shield.

Also it actually is fact. Google Shaolin monks and there are many videos of their weapon demonstrations. Let me know when you find one where they use a shield.
    Now realize that Monks are a class in Diablo 3 and to survive in Inferno they equip a shield, since the OH slot is just a stat-stick anyway and any weapons you equip there have no effect on your damage besides the 'other' stats on the weapon.

15+ Year Old Account
    Now realize that Monks are a class in Diablo 3 and to survive in Inferno they equip a shield, since the OH slot is just a stat-stick anyway and any weapons you equip there have no effect on your damage besides the 'other' stats on the weapon.
    yeah, because dual wield attack speed increase doesnt exist, right? and the dps of the offhand doesnt matter either. that's for the same reason why the highest dps 1h has the same dps as the highest dps 2h, RIGHT?

anyways, I agree on the fact with the shield... someone's imagination of how a monk should work due to real life monks and historically accurate monks and how it actually does work in a fictional game on the highest difficulty where you get your face smashed endless times, if you're not exactly a 250 trillion gold holder who can just equip himself with the best inferno act 4 drops from the AH to survive inferno act 1... it isn't quite the same, but that someone seems to refuse that fact.

and, yes, that last thing may be the very single reason, why a monk could do inferno act 1 without a shield.

Quote Originally Posted by xebtria View Post
    yeah, because dual wield attack speed increase doesnt exist, right? and the dps of the offhand doesnt matter either. that's for the same reason why the highest dps 1h has the same dps as the highest dps 2h, RIGHT?
    Un-equip your OH and notice you only lose damage equal to the stats on the weapon and the 15% speed increase, and not the actual damage of the weapon.

every class can use a shield if they want and it's always been this way in Diablo. it's just part of the game and part of what brings a lot of customization to the world. if you want less customization and everyone to use a predetermined set of gear, then there are other games out there for you. personally i think monks look awesome with a shield and it shouldn't be uncommon for any hero to pick one up as a means of defense if needed.

OT: all melee is struggling in inferno right now and you should just play whatever class you enjoy the most. the game will be patched so it won't be so troublesome for monks and barbs in the future. Inferno is extremely gear dependent though and high resistances are a must.
    Last edited by Dispirit; 2012-06-01 at 03:30 PM.

I googled it and I can't find a single real example where a monk is using two fist weapons or a staff to whack demons on the head...sorry dude. I guess monks in Diablo 3 are how we want to play them *gasp*.

10+ Year Old Account
    Un-equip your OH and notice you only lose damage equal to the stats on the weapon and the 15% speed increase, and not the actual damage of the weapon.
    Dual wield damage is the average over both weapons, so the damage on the offhand matters. A much lower damage weapon than your main hand actually nerfs your damage. Therefore, I agree, a shield just feels like a better option. Obviously you do get 15% IAS from dual wielding.

Monk played by friendly player with DH and Wizzard friends farming act3 and 4 to get him some items to pass wasps in actII

Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    monks in Diablo 3 are how we want to play them *gasp*.
    You mentioned "We" I didnt realize you were a Dev and know what the game design is for monks. There was actually a Blue post saying monks shouldnt be using shields and should be relying on dodge for their defense.

I love my monk. But in inferno I play her like a ranged :/ Until I get to some unattainable gear level I have to kite almost 100% of the time until my invul CD's are active.