Key Loggers/Monitors

So i have a strange situation

When I was 16, my parents installed one of those child monitoring programs on my computer, I just recently discovered this.

I think they may have put the same program on my[/I] desktop and I am currently 20, going on 21.

Any way to find this program as it is hidden, and remove it?

10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose run a malware scan and see if anything pops up. If you have admin privileges (if you dont, why not?), uninstall programs you dont recognize and check the task manager for anything funny looking.

Do you know what the program is called? A simple google search is often enough to find instructions on how to get rid of a program.

You could always back up your personal data and format/reinstall Windows as a last resort. Or talk to your parents about it.

My parrents tried to do this and i laughed as i found it and used it to get all thier passwords as well then shut it down, was pretty lulz. Just go into task manager and find the odd looking program.

I'm pretty sure the program is hidden to prevent it being removed, unless knowing what it is called. I'm unsure I just know it is one of those child monitoring ones.

Also, I know herpderp. If I had the desktop after I was 18, and something was installed on it. Could I persue legal action?

Deleted
    Depends completely on which software it is.

Some are really easy - have admin access, add/remove software.
    Others need special uninstallers officially, which would be the easiest way, but can also be disabled and removed by finding out where the files are running from. I would recommend trying out HiJackThis that you can find here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/
    Lastly, some run as deep level root kits. To remove these, you pretty much need to know what software it is, as it will be a pain to uninstall.

In the ends, easiest solution would be to ask your parents I'd say...

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you still live in your parents house? Then probably not.

Maybe just try talking to your parents. We don't know but maybe there's a reason for it.

Quote Originally Posted by RuyzakiaPCG View Post
    I'm pretty sure the program is hidden to prevent it being removed, unless knowing what it is called. I'm unsure I just know it is one of those child monitoring ones.

Also, I know herpderp. If I had the desktop after I was 18, and something was installed on it. Could I persue legal action?
    They are always detectable, always, cus there has to be a way to access the program. Malware scans and simalar of the like ussually shut down like half the program. But again finding the odd looking program in taskmanager should tell you which one it is then you can look it up and findout how to shut it down. Just literally google every process running.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    But again finding the odd looking program in taskmanager should tell you which one it is then you can look it up and findout how to shut it down. Just literally google every process running.
    And then there's the fact that you can actually hide a running process from taskmanager.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Uh yeah, it's your computer and you're an adult AND key loggers first off are illegal, last I checked. Monitoring programs can only be put on a computer that someone owns and uses themselves, and even then it is touchy. The only thing I can really think of that your parents could use against you is that you are living in their house (assumed, correct me if I'm wrong), but even still, it is YOUR property. If they don't even use the computer, then they have absolutely no business monitoring what YOU do on YOUR computer. If my parents did this, there would be an issue.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    A few things to note.

-You are over the age of 18, so in most places (Im assuming the US, and keep in mind laws vary state to state), the computer is your property. However any legal action will cost more than a new computer, or a drive wipe. It will also cause a huge problem in the household. Is it worth causing tension over a keylogger that you could just ask about? I'll ignore the 'why dont you move out' question. If you're living rent free, morally you have no place to complain.

-For minors, I understand the keylogger, but usually it's for a reason. Parents, in general, do not install keyloggers as part of 'normal security' and usually do so for a reason. You're 20ish now, and they did it again, and I'm sure it won't be explained, but there's probably a reason for it. Keyloggers are for looking for something, not for blocking bad content. Why do they have a reason to look for something? If you say your parents are just 'that paranoid' I think you would have moved out long ago.

-If you are concerned about this, make sure they don't have access to your computer or admin rights, after you're sure you have the system cleaned off.

-Talk to your parents.

15+ Year Old Account
    just reformat. otherwise go through msconfig and see what runs on startup

reformat is safest bet if you think there's actually one on the computer
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Unless it's a service or running in a rootkit (surprisingly not uncommon methods with which to run them), in which case it's a matter of finding the odd service, or running the anti-rootkit tools out there.

And any communication being done by the program could be done via a driver, or obfuscated in such a way that it's assumed to be non-dangerous by most antivirus programs. There ARE ways of preventing detection, but there's always a way to detect them with the right tools, enough time, and enough knowledge.

There's so many ways to hide a program from normal detection, hence why it's good to run a deep-scan on the whole system from time to time.
    except this is the run of the mill free shit parents use, its not going to be well coded or well hidden. The fact that they need this to track thier childs history on the computer alone points to their technological ineptness

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RuyzakiaPCG View Post
    So i have a strange situation

When I was 16, my parents installed one of those child monitoring programs on my computer, I just recently discovered this.

I think they may have put the same program on my[/I] desktop and I am currently 20, going on 21.

Any way to find this program as it is hidden, and remove it?
    Ask your parents.

Deleted
    10 bucks says your parents are bluffing and have absolutely no clue whatsoever about how to install monitoring software and just used it as a threat when you were younger.

Otherwise:

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    just reformat. otherwise go through msconfig and see what runs on startup

reformat is safest bet if you think there's actually one on the computer
    Last edited by mmoc950242451b; 2012-06-01 at 11:26 PM.