Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

D3 Hardcore Progression

I was curious to see how others are fairing in hardcore. I currently have a 43 Barbarian that just completed Act II in Nightmare. So far I love hardcore more than normal mode. With hardcore you get a more suspenseful feeling rather than just banging your head against your desk until you kill the boss in normal. I also feel accomplished when I earn a hardcore only achieve, had never had that feeling in normal mode or even killing heroic bosses in WoW. What are your thoughts?

Died act 2 bees ...

NORMAL...i'm not cut out for HC

From another thread on HC:

I think the misconception a lot of people have about hardcore mode is that people do it for bragging rights, or to talk down to others, or something. This is in no way true.

The real reason to play hardcore is to get to 1% HP and live. The rush you get from surviving is unbelievable. The rush you get from fighting an enemy you're not sure you can beat is amazing. I think the closest comparison is how one feels in high-stakes gambling. The knowledge that you could at any moment lose it all gets the adrenaline going, and makes for an enhanced game experience.

People are also, I think, afraid of being disappointed when they lose their characters. This is another thing I don't get. It's about the same as getting a Game Over in Ye Olde Video Games of the 80s and 90s. You can either rage and never play again or you can stare in disbelief for a bit, laugh, say "You win this time, Video Game," and then try again. Are you going to let that video game get the best of you? Hell no! Roll up a new guy and get crackin' on beating your old record.

The Hardcore community is a nice group of folks who are both good at the game and very helpful to others. Usually when a person says they're new to hardcore, the response is "Welcome to the Brotherhood," "Welcome to the Fold," etc. And it IS a brotherhood. There's a camaraderie that exists in hardcore that you simply don't see in the normal game, and I have made plenty of friends in just the first couple weeks of the game's release - all of them from public HC games.

Also going to Hell and beyond by yourself is just asking to be killed.
    My HC record is level 40 as a Demon Hunter, Act II Nightmare. Here is a haiku I wrote for my fallen hero. :P

I learned my lesson
    Never do the timed dungeons
    Rest in peace, Aera

Quote Originally Posted by Thrage View Post
    From another thread on HC:

My HC record is level 40 as a Demon Hunter, Act II Nightmare. Here is a haiku I wrote for my fallen hero. :P

I learned my lesson
    Never do the timed dungeons
    Rest in peace, Aera
    That's about dead on accurate of what hardcore is like. Thank you for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Died once on my barbarian at level 39. I'm now level 42 on the next and I took a whole different route in terms of skills and gear. At level 42, I've got:

11,733 health
    25% block chance
    55.13% dmg reduction
    41 resist (16.33%)
    190 life per second
    23 life per kill
    958.60 dps

So definitely far different than the 8k I had at 39 when I died the first time. Took a different set of talents with War Cry (talented for 10% health + regen and I always keep it up) along with Seismic Slam so I can never be locked in a corner again by enemies. Keeping Ignore Pain up, too, with 20% of damage = life gain.

Current set-up I'm running on my 43 Barb is

9703 Health
    34 resist
    49.86% damage reduction
    54.00 Life per second
    1456.50 Damage

Frenzy with Glyph of Triumph
    Seismic Slam with Glyph of Shattered Ground
    Ignore Pain with Glyph of Ignorance is Bliss
    Furious Charge with Glyph of Battering Ram
    Battle Rage with Glyph of Marauder's Rage
    Wrath of Berserker with Glyph of Insanity

Passives:
    Berserker Rage
    Bloodthirst
    Nerves of Steel

I rely heavily on blasting through enemies keeping up Triumph glyph and just leeching life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hawtlol View Post
    Frenzy with Glyph of Triumph
    Do you swap in and out of Frenzy in large packs for Cleave, or just go Frenzy the whole time?

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    So apparently Kungen was closing in on starting act 2 Inferno when he died. Are there any other HC players around the same lvl, or that maybe already has progressed through act 2?

Judging by my own experience, I can't imagine that anyone can finish act 2 Inferno with no deaths at this point in time. Myself I must have died like 200 times (I only left 2 packs, everything else was killed regardless how many deaths it took).

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Do you swap in and out of Frenzy in large packs for Cleave, or just go Frenzy the whole time?
    I use Seismic Slam as my form of AoE, I build rage incredibly quick while going straight Frenzy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hawtlol View Post
    I use Seismic Slam as my form of AoE, I build rage incredibly quick while going straight Frenzy.
    Yeah I've been using that since I got it . I tried out your build a bit, and I definitely build fury pretty quickly for slam. Now that I'm over 1k dps I can kill most elites and uniques fairly fast with frenzy.

I want to make one, but I know this is how I'm going to die and I can't bring myself to do it lol.

"YES, just killed a molten,plagued,vortex after 10 minutes! LOOT TIME!"
    - Falls over dead from molten's after death explosion
    /cry

You guys doing HC on Barbs, props to you. Can't imagine that being easy later on, monks even have it better then barbs for surviving.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

Do it like this.

You have to KNOW by the time you make the character that it is going to die and then you ACCEPT it.

Now you are free!

I go hardcore and I expect to die. The fun part is pretty much what the one guy quoted above. It is a challenge to see how far you get. Don't concern your mind with ludicrous thoughts of "wasted effort". You made the character knowing it is going to die so. You can think it is already DEAD! Therefore, if it is dead and everything on it is already forfeit, there is nothing to lose.

Atm I got 41lvl monk. There have been several cases of elite mobs hurting me somewhat badly, but not dead yet. I need to pick something. Just using my abilities with the passive doesn't heal enough. Maybe hp on hit stuff?
    Last edited by Morae; 2012-06-02 at 08:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowe View Post
    Lv34 Demonhunter atm.
    The rush at skeleton king, butcherer, belial, Izual & Diablo was amazing :3
    It gets better. I just downed a 204,000 HP nightmare Belial on hardcore. I had a few heart-stopping moments where I nearly got slammed by his fists before I moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Beace View Post
    So apparently Kungen was closing in on starting act 2 Inferno when he died. Are there any other HC players around the same lvl, or that maybe already has progressed through act 2?

Judging by my own experience, I can't imagine that anyone can finish act 2 Inferno with no deaths at this point in time. Myself I must have died like 200 times (I only left 2 packs, everything else was killed regardless how many deaths it took).
    i saw a WD HC farming act2 earlier ona stream

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I have not attempted hardcore because I just don't see it happening, but I'm pretty sure Kripparrian is well into inferno mode on his HC Barb

15+ Year Old Account
    I got to level 9 on my barb because i got stuck inbetween mobs. Good times.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by artem123 View Post
    i saw a WD HC farming act2 earlier ona stream
    Any chance you remember what stream that was?

Quote Originally Posted by Aveyai View Post
    Personally I have not attempted hardcore because I just don't see it happening, but I'm pretty sure Kripparrian is well into inferno mode on his HC Barb
    not quite, he hes hardly even started act one. hes been farming goblins, and thats it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beace View Post
    Any chance you remember what stream that was?
    http://www.twitch.tv/nl_krippi

He was farming Act 2 goblin in the afternoon

10+ Year Old Account
    Progression when my Barb is only level 10 sounds a bit ludicrous, but that's my first and only HC character. So far it has been a rush!

I got hit by that triple attack of the Skeleton King, took the full brunt of it, and I had been derping around concentrating on getting the adds down so I went down to like 25% life, that was a nice Oooooshiiiiii moment. Ground was strewn with health globes though, so it was no problem, but that moment of realising that you could loose it all by that stupid mistake and then surviving was awesome.

I've decided to take things a bit more seriously then just taking some vit items extra and not rushing in to packs. I'd like to get to Belial and my ultimate goal is to get past him. That for me would be the best feeling I could wish for I think, cause I'd go into that fight fully expecting not to make it. So I'll be taking a more thoughtfull approach from now on and really try to get as far as I can.

I'm not sure what I'll do if I die though, start again on a new char or just leave it be. I'm not normally one to play games in this way, so.