Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

GW2 will have modifiers

Hey guys so far I haven't seen anyone mentioned this. guildwarsinsider.com few posts down the page as of 1st of june PCGamer has livestream footage of various beta stuff one thing I found extremely important to mentioned is working modifier keys! Definitely feel this is an important step for GW2 many people were concerned myself included about this.

As someone who didnt actually get the opportunity to play BWE 1 due to computer issues I'm hanging to get in there next week for BWE 2. How do you guys feel about modifiers? Needed? Not Needed? Glad they adding? etc

Essential for some players(myself included). I can't properly test out the gameplay without them, so I'll be looking forward to PvPing while being able to properly control my character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really big fantastic news for me personally. I had no need for them in the first place. Between my keyboard and my naga I have more than enough buttons for a 10 skill hot bar (+6 or so). It's nice that the people that wanted them have them now.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

This was also in the leaked patchnotes, and from some leaked screenshots. Altough i question exactly how much of it is really leaked, and how much of it is "leaked".

I like it. Lets me bind all the keys i need to my mouse + 1-4 keys. Happy days indeed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    Not really big fantastic news for me personally. I had no need for them in the first place. Between my keyboard and my naga I have more than enough buttons for a 10 skill hot bar (+6 or so). It's nice that the people that wanted them have them now.
    I agree with Malthurius on this.

You don't really need to map spells out when you only have 10 buttons + Dodge. But meh, some people think they need them. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post

You don't really need to map spells out when you only have 10 buttons + Dodge. But meh, some people think they need them. :P
    It's kinda funny you typed your comment as if everyone in the world plays their game exactly like you. "Some people think they need them", "You don't really need to map spells"

Not everyone is you..some people prefer to have less keys in a small confined area all accessible by pressing a shift or alt modifier. 1-4 and Shift 1-4. etc etc

OPTIONS...(key word here) never hurt anyone..

Quote Originally Posted by Shadzta View Post
    How do you guys feel about modifiers? Needed? Not Needed? Glad they adding? etc
    Does the game need them? Probably. Do I need them? Not at all.

@iCandy Perhaps it isn't so much how he typed it, but more so how you read it. Maybe a combination of both. Just throwing that out there since I did not get the same impression.
    Last edited by Gisei; 2012-06-02 at 11:43 AM.

Deleted
    I played the first BWE event and this was something I really stressed for in my feedback. I don't have a fancy mouse, just two extra buttons so I find modifiers essential for a more comfortable gaming experience. Glad to hear they've listened to our feedback and made some positive changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadzta View Post
    How do you guys feel about modifiers? Needed? Not Needed? Glad they adding?
    Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post
    It's kinda funny you typed your comment as if everyone in the world plays their game exactly like you. "Some people think they need them", "You don't really need to map spells"

Not everyone is you..some people prefer to have less keys in a small confined area all accessible by pressing a shift or alt modifier. 1-4 and Shift 1-4. etc etc

OPTIONS...(key word here) never hurt anyone..
    He was answering the OP about his own opinion, which he did.

OT: I don't need them, but I don't hate them. I might certain modifiers, for WoW I used:
    ` through 5, T Y, F G, C V, Shift(` through 3), and the extra 2 buttons on my razer mouse (though I have a naga now).

I hated having to have so many buttons abilities and macros.
    Last edited by Allanon the Mystic; 2012-06-02 at 12:17 PM.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Deleted
    MODIFIERS? IN MY GAME! NOOO WAY!

In all seriousness, this was something people asked for. Either they are needed or not is not really for me to say, as people with different hand shapes, situations, ages and etc will have a harder or easier time adapting/needing them.If it helps someone avoid a bad wrist position because they find some keys more comfortable than others, why not?

It proves however, that Anet is still listening to people as that was an highly requested feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post

10 buttons + dodge + weaponswap + interact + <profession mechanic> (For Engineer/Elementalist this means another 4 buttons) And then i havent descided if i want to use the instant-turn 180degrees button yet, which would certainly be a very usefull button aswell. Since a lot of stuff launch me backwards, being able to quickly turn 180degrees and launch to get distance or close distance, is a big deal.

So, now im up to 17 buttons (Engineer doesnt have weaponswap), not 11 :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad this is added. I play with a three-button mouse, so I can't do fancy stuff like map everything to the mouse and play with one hand.

I had to resort to awkward key-bindings to have all my skills in the same general area. Having a modifier helps this tremendously.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

I use the Razer Blackwidow and the Razer Naga, but ill still find alot of use from Modifers.
    Last edited by Hellspawnxxx; 2012-06-02 at 03:02 PM.

Kinda whatever personally. There wasn't much to bind to being with, but it's nice to have some comfortable stand-bys such as shift+3.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was not able to find a button for everything I wanted to bind so yes, this was very much necessary for me. I hope they also allow you to bind mouse button 3.

Deleted
    Better players will use modifiers. Glad they added it

I'm happy with modifiers, felt that they were needed in my own case at least, so it'll only improve my experience with the game.

I think I was barely able to have a binding for everything I wanted in the last BWE, but several of them were very inconveniently located which is the sort of thing that makes me play worse. So this is very good news indeed.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, especially if properly sharpened and in the hands of a well trained ninja.

My two biggest gripes in the beta were overflow servers making it hard to play with friends (which is fixed) and modifiers (which is fixed).
    It's not so much that I need modifiers. I can quite easily fit every necessary function onto my keyboard and mouse without them. I definitely prefer them however, due to using them for years in MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by wakarimas View Post
    Better players will use modifiers. Glad they added it
    How would using modifiers make you a 'better player'? With only 10 action bars I can easily just use the Keys I normally use in MMOs.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic