Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Part of why I'm so accustomed to it, I guess, is that the middle mouse button also opens a link in a new tab in Firefox, so maybe I just got accustomed to it and don't really notice a need for extra effort in pushing it. The same way everybody complains about how much "force" is needed to push the side buttons, but how I got accustomed to it and don't really have the same trouble.

Or maybe it's just the way I hold my mouse? I dunno. I found it much easier than any other bind.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Part of why I'm so accustomed to it, I guess, is that the middle mouse button also opens a link in a new tab in Firefox, so maybe I just got accustomed to it and don't really notice a need for extra effort in pushing it. The same way everybody complains about how much "force" is needed to push the side buttons, but how I got accustomed to it and don't really have the same trouble.

Or maybe it's just the way I hold my mouse? I dunno. I found it much easier than any other bind.
    Again, I used to use the middle mouse button with previous mice. I think I used it when I used the Razer Diamondback 3g, now that I think about it. Some mice simply do not have an easy to press middle mouse button. Don't think it's a question of being accustomed to it. I'm accustomed to scrolling through pages, doesn't mean I bind things to scroll up or scroll down. (Yes, I realize some people do that. I do not, it does not feel natural to me.)

Drake is right, the naga, or at least the version I have of it, has a fairly light keypress for the mousewheel. its only slightly harder to press than LMB or RMB, mostly due to being a smaller target. The reason I avoid maping anything I might use in the heat of the moment is I dont want to accidently triger a mouse wheel scroll at the same time. On my old G7 it was almost impossible to click the mouse wheel without also rotateing it a detent after that I just got out of the habit of it. These days I have my naga programed to toggle to different keybinding profiles on a mousewheel press.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    snip
    Well it depends on the user, the keyboard and what they are used to. I just cant, comfortably, use keys like TY and CV. Or the Functions keys. I never said you need modifiers to be a better gamer, merely pointed out its a little more then 10 keys. And i believe a lot of players will have a problem comfortably using 17 keys. So for those players the modifier is a godsend and it would make them better players, i suppose.

I recently got a new mouse aswell, the Naga Hex, but im so used to modifier keys from WoW itll be a much easier transition to use those. I could use 1-4 normally for utility, and shift+1-4 for the Function keys. Then i dont have to give up the Q and E button for strafing.

I suppose modifiers are not important to some, but very important to others. So im glad they atleast added the option.

I used modifiers in the first bwe. <3 Autohotkey.

I hope they add in an option for a modifyer for ground target skills. I know theres an option to direct cast them and skip the second click but sometimes you want to be able to see the GT area for a particular ability even if most others you want to fire where the mouse is the moment you hit the hotkey. Would be nice if there was a modifier to temporarily reverse the setting, well either that or an option to toggle that particular option on the fly.

Who is John Galt?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really see the point. I never understood the incredible amount of customization that games allow for how the player wants to work it.

Games don't need it, is what I'm saying. I think if you're having trouble working the game how it came, or are stressed out wishing you could change how it does...you ought to look into ways to strengthen your brain capacity, because the fact of the matter is you can't work a game as well as you could without help.

Elysia's epic sig skillz

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingmoney View Post
    I don't really see the point. I never understood the incredible amount of customization that games allow for how the player wants to work it.

Games don't need it, is what I'm saying. I think if you're having trouble working the game how it came, or are stressed out wishing you could change how it does...you ought to look into ways to strengthen your brain capacity, because the fact of the matter is you can't work a game as well as you could without help.
    Oo,its never been about having trouble,its about playing better.If you can have something extraand you take it,it doesn't mean you can't function without that optional thing.

I use 3 modifiers, alt,shift,ctrl

Hopefully mouse 3 and scrolling will be enabled as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadzta View Post
    Hey guys so far I haven't seen anyone mentioned this. guildwarsinsider.com few posts down the page as of 1st of june PCGamer has livestream footage of various beta stuff one thing I found extremely important to mentioned is working modifier keys! Definitely feel this is an important step for GW2 many people were concerned myself included about this.

As someone who didnt actually get the opportunity to play BWE 1 due to computer issues I'm hanging to get in there next week for BWE 2. How do you guys feel about modifiers? Needed? Not Needed? Glad they adding? etc
    Don't need em myself. But it's good to have the option!

10+ Year Old Account
    There's not much to understand: Different people are different. They like to work with different forms of input, because one way might work better for another.

It's similar to how different people learn at different rates, or how some people learn better visually, and some learn better audibly. A player should not suck at a game because it forces a certain set-up on him, when he could be perfectly capable of succeeding amazingly in the game with a different form of input.

Even in console games, or at least most console games for the past decade, you could open up a menu and go to a selection of preset configurations for your controller.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-06-03 at 09:24 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Not sure if serious....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I've always hated ctrl as my vent button because of that issue, and I had that problem in WoW, that's why I'm so aware of it. I always had to say what I needed to say quickly in between key presses, but I just don't know where else to put it. I don't really like it anywhere else on the keyboard, and I don't like using my middle mouse button either.

I never used any keys with a ctrl modifier either, but I still can't use my basic number keys if ctrl is held down in a lot of the games I've played.
    Personally I use the caps lock. Works fine, but you might want to use a program that automatically turns off caps again so you won't suddenly start typing in big letters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by savvasp View Post
    Off-Topic : How do you actually dodge btw ? I have no idea
    Either with the key mapped to Dodge or by double-tapping the movement keys (this can be turned off, I think).
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Wow, such arrogance..

Some people have medical or physical reasons for needing it you know.