Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account

Question So what exactly am I doing wrong here?

60 Monk Inferno: 36k HP, 4620 Armor (60% Dmg Reduc), 17K Damage, 1678 DEX (36.78% Dodge before Passives/Actives)

I have a very very hard time soloing Inferno against Elites only. I don't have any issues with normal mobs nor Boss (purple) mobs.

What I run into mostly is I'll log in to the game, and start to farm Act 1 near the Fields of Misery. I like to hit the dungeons that pop up in that area because they're rife with elites. Soon as I hit inferno though I seem to have this issue of running into a meat grinder and I'm the meat.

Elite packs seem to not only be tailored to make it incredibly hard if not impossible in some situations but they also seem to be much harder for melee players. I do kite, and kite well mind you, and I do know that Inferno isn't made for me to stand there and click my mouse without consequence but what I find it hard to believe is that they specifically thought that this was an acceptable amount of difficulty.

This is not a challenge, it is a nuisance.

Challenging would mean dying a few times but then overcoming the issues I run in to. This is just an unfair amount of difficulty for me in solo play, I can't even escape the elites that Wall since there seems to be an acceptable bug (that does work both ways btw) of the wall spawning inside you. So I become trapped inside a wall, then mortared to death. Another fun one is being jailed then desecrated and plagued to death within a matter of seconds. I just don't understand what I'm supposed to do..

I have thought about going straight tank mode and just stacking HP and Resist and Armor but that would be a rather mundane thing to do and wouldn't guarantee anything honestly. It also seems going that route would mean my fights would be incredibly long and would incur that penalty of fighting for too long against elites (Which is by far the stupidest concept in the universe). Not to mention with some packs I can't even get back in time before they all regen to full HP due to the resurrection wait time..

I find myself at an impasse...with friends Inferno is much easier somehow even when the damage scales up and their HP is raised, having the extra help makes all the difference, but I can't always be playing with friends, so what can I do in solo play?

Just bear in mind I don't give up on it, I try my hardest to kill the elite packs no matter how STUPID HARD they are made to be, but let me say this one thing, if I'm kiting to kill EVERY pack, then what's the point of being melee?

Any CONSTRUCTIVE suggestions or sharing of experiences is welcomed. Trolls/Non-Contructiveness/General Rudeness can just move on...

Remember: I am simply asking what I can do for Solo play to overcome the issues I am running into without gimping my game play experience. I want to have fun, I want to die, but not dozens of times in a row without any progress at all....

Short Sum: Why is it so unfairly hard for melee Solo in Inferno and what can I do to make my experience more enjoyable?

get resists. you want around 300-400 resist for act 1, 700+ for act 2.
    your hp is fine for act 1, but act 2 get to around 50k.
    armor is fine atm, but again, you need more for act 2+.

resists are very important for inferno if you wish to go toe to toe with elites. Without them you are taking full dmg from their special moves (minus the armor dmg reduction amount)

The only way, unless you got gear is kiting. I dont know much about monks in order to give specific advice but there you go.
    World of Castercraft 2.0 really :< It's sad actually. Unfortunatelly what you mostly need is gear. Farm and farm and farm just to get where DHs and Wizards go without even remotely needing the gear you need.
    Signed, a fellow Barb.

I've just started act 1 inferno on my monk, my 3rd lvl60. I'm using a weapon + a shield, have around 400 resists and 33k life, 15.5k damage. Personally I'm finding that it has been by far the easiest of my 3 chars (Barbarion and Demon hunter). What I mean is, when I first went to inferno on those chars it was a lot more difficult than this... So far the monk has barely taken any damage, stood there tanking and healing through elites and champions, I didnt have to do anything on the skele king other than stand and dps him.

When I hit 60 I spent some gold on the auction house buying the best cheap deals, and he still has some leveling gear on but he is by no means had much effort gearing up. I'm using mantra of healing (for the 20% resists rune) and the earth rune pet , enchantress follower.

I'm not sure what your problem is, due to the passive that makes your highest resist an all resist and the high dodge chance of the class, combined with a shield the monk has been the easiest transition to inferno of all my 3 chars.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I've just started act 1 inferno on my monk, my 3rd lvl60. I'm using a weapon + a shield, have around 400 resists and 33k life, 15.5k damage.
    I'm not sure what your problem is, due to the passive that makes your highest resist an all resist and the high dodge chance of the class, combined with a shield the monk has been the easiest transition to inferno of all my 3 chars.
    I smell AH. 15.5k damage isn't possible without AH or badly itemized gear - with your resists you wouldn't really do well into Act 2.

Amount of people saying "monk is easy" or "melee is easy", they didn't make it to Act 2+ and still keep telling their opinions...

Deleted
    You're going to need resistances regardless whether you're a tankspec or not.