Thread: The Jubilee

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I read that in the "french" policemans accent from 'Allo 'allo.

Hahaha! Not the only one then!

Jubilee is good fun really, a way to celebrate our country and take a break from worrying about the state of the country, people that go out their way to slate it confuse me really (For the record I'm not 100% barmy about it like some, not attending any parties etc but can't blame those who do)

Just enjoy the weekend and extra days off work I say and say cheers to Liz! Godspeed to those of you at work though, I know how depressing it can be when everyone else is having a fun time.

Deleted
    She's done well to sit on the throne for 60 years, what with all that harsh competition. It takes real talent to be born into royalty.

Ah I'm not that cynical really, but super pro-royalists confuse me. I'm not pro-royalist, anti-royalist, I'm a don't-care-about-the-royal-ist. They're just 'there' for me...

Deleted
    The only member of the Royal Family I had respect for was Princess Diana, due to a mixture of her huge contributions to various charities and more importantly the fact that she challenged the flawed monarchy from within. A shame her story ended in tragedy. Personally, I think that the Royal Family is something that has no need of existing in the modern world. Celebrating people for being born into wealth is something that society should have moved on from long ago. Especially when the Royal Family no longer has the power or influence it once did.

A common counter to this is tourism, yet we've never been told exactly how much money is spend on security for the Royal Family each year. I'm pretty sure that chips away heavily at what profit is made from them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taenathal View Post
    The only member of the Royal Family I had respect for was Princess Diana, due to a mixture of her huge contributions to various charities and more importantly the fact that she challenged the flawed monarchy from within. A shame her story ended in tragedy. Personally, I think that the Royal Family is something that has no need of existing in the modern world. Celebrating people for being born into wealth is something that society should have moved on from long ago. Especially when the Royal Family no longer has the power or influence it once did.

A common counter to this is tourism, yet we've never been told exactly how much money is spend on security for the Royal Family each year. I'm pretty sure that chips away heavily at what profit is made from them.
    Yet people still worship people like Paris Hilton and her kind, at least the queen does some good in her life and benefits others. She is 86 years old and had over 300 engagements last year, with a shitload of travelling all over the world. How many old people do you know that are that active?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hasslemoff View Post
    They more or less fund themselves now anyway and to consider the billions that the royal family generates each year in tourism and charity work they more than pay there way in British society.
    I like the way that those people who claim the monarchy generates 'billions' for the UK never seem able to provide any proof for their claims. Just like the people that claim the monarchy costs a fortune for little return don't seem to be able to link any evidence either. The simple truth is that without empirical evidence to support your claims, they can't be taken seriously.

Also the value of having or not having a monarchy should not just be considered in monetary terms. For example you could consider the following:

Benefits of the Monarchy.
    A figurehead for the nation to rally around in hard times.
    A direct link to our history.
    An impartial leader dedicated to the people and not a mere political party.

Failings of the Monarchy.
    The antithesis of democracy itself.
    The literal embodiment of class discrimination.

I always seem to hear from people complaining about how we are losing our sense of 'Britishness'. Well you can't really get anymore traditional British then displays of pomp that come about with the Royals. Even if you don't like the Royal family I'm sure you can still appreaciate the positive feelings they generate during times like these.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    I always seem to hear from people complaining about how we are losing our sense of 'Britishness'. Well you can't really get anymore traditional British then displays of pomp that come about with the Royals. Even if you don't like the Royal family I'm sure you can still appreaciate the positive feelings they generate during times like these.
    Oh yes, that reminds me. I was linked this earlier:

No bitterness behind it, I just found it amusingly accurate in some cases.

10+ Year Old Account

I bet she really does that...gotta get annoying hearing that song so much :S

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Is anyone here celebrating it? Personally, I'm in work all 4 days of this long weekend, not that I'd probably celebrate it regardless. While the Queen is a huge part of Britain I'm just not interested. The only thing that makes me patriotic is rugby and a few beers.

For those of you outside the UK, do you celebrate your monarchy (if you have one)?
    I live in the UK and i couldn't give a monkeys about the 'jubilee'. The royals are just a tourist attraction now, nothing more.

10+ Year Old Account
    i am celebrating a long weekend nothing else
    Your speaker volume BETRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS YOU!

10+ Year Old Account
    The biggest national day in Holland is Queen's Day, so yeah, you could say so. Queen's Day and the night before and after are known for some big events, and it's celebrated almost as much as christmas, probably even more than easter. (Date is the birthday of the previous queen, and has been kept at that day just because it became a tradition)

10+ Year Old Account
    God save the queen, and her fascist regime!

Seriously though, even as an American, I have nothing but respect for QE2, and I'll see about raising a glass to her at some point this weekend.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Lets be honest, we probably wouldn't choose a monarchy if we were setting up a country today, but like most historical British institutions it actually works very well. As our head of state we have a family who put their entire life into serving our country and are immensely patriotic. I'd rather have that then an ex-politician who just wants fame and power. Importantly they don't get to choose either, they are born into it.

Anyway will I be celebrating the jubilee? Well 4 days off you'd have to be pretty sad to not enjoy it :P

The Queen? Well, I didnt vote for 'er!

I won't be doing anything special but I did visit our neighbourhood street party but couldn't stay very long unfortunately.

The Queen gets a lot of hate on the internet but she does nothing but good for our country and there are no downsides to having her as our head of state. Also looking at the alternatives, I would absolutely loath the fact that a politician would become head of state, our queen is politically neutral and always puts Britain first.

Also working for 60 years as reigning monarch deserves some acknowledgement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    Much as I oppose royalty, and the fact that their comfortable lives are maintained via my taxes, I do think it's a tad extreme to think of the Queen as some evil, oppressive force in the world. Generally speaking, compared to most parts of the world, British royalty has done a lot of good, considering they could just easily sit on their asses in the lap of luxury and look pomp, pretentious, patriotic and prosperous.

So with that in mind, i'll celebrate the Jubilee on a personal level, insofar as someone who is for all intents and purposes a philanthropist, deserves to be celebrated.
    Her majesty is actually a very benign lady, and she maintains a level of dignity few could understand these days. Also, her monarchy has stopped a kingship from taking over British society, so it can only mean something good having her ruled this long.

I admire her, and for that I pay my respects to my queen.

Deleted
    well kind of, ill watch the coverage on the TV and my nans having a street party tommorow which i will have to attend :< oh well, it got me 2 days off work \o/

10+ Year Old Account
    Consider this too, here we have an 86 year old lady, in a white dress and nothing but a scarf to keep her warm well it rains on the themes river, and still she stands all this time addressing all those who sail down the river.

I respect her poised and dignity, and I can tell you this, I would sooner it having a monarch like her to gather behind as a figurehead for my country, then just having another soulless politician who rules for four years and gets replaced by another soulless politician.

Deleted
    First things that came to mind, were
    "Their real name is Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha, you know" and
    "Where's the IRA when you need them?"
    But yeah, the concept of tribal leaders can be both endearing and entertaining. Anybody celebrating this, have fun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Oh yes, that reminds me. I was linked this earlier:

No bitterness behind it, I just found it amusingly accurate in some cases.

Nationalism is something to be proud of.

Being proud of who you are and where you come from is one of the greatest things a person can achieve in life.