Poll: Who is the best of the Internet Giants

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Google has been the "Do No Evil" company from the start, but slowly and surely they have been drifting towards more and more "evil" in order to maximize profits and market control.

Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    Google has been the "Do No Evil" company from the start, but slowly and surely they have been drifting towards more and more "evil" in order to maximize profits and market control.
    They are still miles better than anyone else, plus they try to innovate. They invent, they have ideas and go after them..ideas that are better for humanity.

Deleted
    Microsoft, Google

Deleted
    4chan...

And Apple. I really like their products.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Trust the most? Facebook.
    Most benevolent? Microsoft.
    Personal Favorite? Google.

I can't really lump all the categories into one company.
    This about sums it up for me, though Microsoft can be the most benevolent as they have paid services.

FB/Google have to do things that invade privacy to some degree to be able to turn a profit. Either you buy the product or you are the product.

FB provides the smartest package of services, all designed for one end goal of facilitating socialization in the digital age.

Google has the neatest toys, google docs/drive and gmail are invaluable. They're a little directionless, they seem to be trying to get a foot in all the logistical aspects of the internet, cornering content delivery.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    Well there is a good reason for that. Microsoft has never made anything that has been a trail blazer or ground breaking change since the invented the Windows OS and got lucky with it's timing compared to Apple. I don't like Apple but iPhone did revolutionise smartphones, ipad did bring the dying niche product line into mainstream. All Microsoft has done ever since the creation of Windows and Office is make them a different colour and slap a higher price tag on it. Oh and make 23 different versions while at it. Microsoft has never created anything great. case and point, look at bing, zune, windows phone...it seems microsoft is run by a bunch of old folks who are always playing catch up and never coming up with their own ideas.

---------- Post added 2012-06-04 at 02:18 PM ----------

Apple price markups are higher than anyone else in the industry. You remember a time when everyone with a blackberry was cool, iphone is pretty much the same. Don't get me wrong I got 4S because I wanted the last phone that Jobs worked on but after this, I do not plan to own any apple products ever.
    Also, do you know that if you jailbreak an iphone/ipad...you pretty much double the functionality of the device? All that stuff is already in there, apple just don't want people using it because they will sell it to people as iPhone 5.
    Most consumers on the mainstream market (myself included) prefer reliability and design over functionallity. Sure, you can do much more with android and devs don't have to get their apps approved. But then there's a chance of malware or some nasty shit. And jailbreaking isn't illegal, but again, there's a reason why most owners of iDevices don't do it. It lowers the stabillity of the phone and you can't get the same amount of support.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could understand Microsoft being on the list and all but why is Apple there? their presence is so 'minimal' compared to the other three...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    I could understand Microsoft being on the list and all but why is Apple there? their presence is so 'minimal' compared to the other three...
    I suspect being the most valuable company on the planet, with a huge market share in smart phones and tablets, and a notable presence in personal computing makes them notable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    Apple price markups are higher than anyone else in the industry. You remember a time when everyone with a blackberry was cool, iphone is pretty much the same. Don't get me wrong I got 4S because I wanted the last phone that Jobs worked on but after this, I do not plan to own any apple products ever.
    Also, do you know that if you jailbreak an iphone/ipad...you pretty much double the functionality of the device? All that stuff is already in there, apple just don't want people using it because they will sell it to people as iPhone 5.
    There are plenty of other companies with much crazier markups than Apple. In the consumer market they are definitely in the "premium" range but IMO their products tend to be quite solid. Well-integrated systems that "Just work".

As for jailbreaking and the next generation of the iPhone, jailbreaking is mainly useful if you want to mess around with the software in your phone and to me that it completely unnecessary, I'm a software dev who also used to be an electronics hobbyist but honestly, I'm just not interested, to me my phone is an appliance, I can get an SSH client from the app store and I can load my own software on it via my developer account, that's good enough for me.

The big difference between iPhone generations is in hardware and the improvements that are possible with better hardware. You see, a large part of Apple's design philosophy is in UX, better not to ship something than to ship something works but is a bit laggy or quirky. By comparison, early Android phones didn't have hardware-accelerated graphics for their UI and felt extremely laggy thanks to a different attitude towards features, the "just add everything AND the damn kitchen sink, make sure it builds and ship it ASAP!" approach to features...

10+ Year Old Account
    Apple are made of pure greed. Overpriced products all the way round. Google is by far the most reliable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    I suspect being the most valuable company on the planet, with a huge market share in smart phones and tablets, and a notable presence in personal computing makes them notable.
    Definitely. OTOH, they haven't really done anything particularly evil in the past (like MS who pretty much conspired to have a monopoly on the whole software market for a while in 1990s) nor are they actively mining your personal info and selling it to the highest bidder (like Google and Facebook).

That said, I use products from all four on a daily basis. I'm just saying that Apple really isn't nearly as "evil" as the others (once one gets past the teenage "Crapply sux n haz no gaems!!1 lulzderp!1" stage).

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean in the internet, Most of their services are not really internet services while Google has many online services, Microsoft same is previous one (Bing and all...), and Facebook explain itself. So why is Apple an "Internet Giants" ?

It is like saying HP, HTC, or any other hardware manufacturing company is an "Internet Giants" because they make something that can use internet. It isn't really relevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    I mean in the internet, Most of their services are not really internet services while Google has many online services, Microsoft same is previous one (Bing and all...), and Facebook explain itself. So why is Apple an "Internet Giants" ?

It is like saying HP, HTC, or any other hardware manufacturing company is an "Internet Giants" because they make something that can use internet. It isn't really relevant.
    My smartphone is a primary internet interface device for me. I use iOS on a daily basis to access mail, find services, and to communicate with friends. There are days where it fills that role more than traditional personal computing does.

Thus iOS's ecosystem is just as important to me as Facebook's or Google's.

And, generically, Apple's business model is providing a vertically integrated ecosystem. Other OEMs just provide hardware and rely on other companies to provide OS's, content delivery, and internet browsing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't know that less than 2% of total smart phones sold was a huge market share. As for tablets, Windows tablets are virtually inexistent. Apple has the biggest piece of the pie concerning that followed by Android. The others a fighting for a declining market share which includes the PlayBook from RIM and the Windows tablets.

Honestly all they did was introducing Windows at the right time and set some sort of standard for an operating system. Besides that they try to gain a piece of every market they can get, but it's not profitable at the moment. Smart phone and tablet market in particular which is failing drastically for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Google is the next Umbrella Corporation. Just wait... 'G'-Virus in the works.

I would vote for Google but I hate Google+. Facebook is getting quite shitty too with this new timeline bullshit, and Apple is just an expensive hook for saps. So I guess my vote goes to Microsoft by default.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2 View Post
    I didn't know that less than 2% of total smart phones sold was a huge market share. As for tablets, Windows tablets are virtually inexistent. Apple has the biggest piece of the pie concerning that followed by Android. The others a fighting for a declining market share which includes the PlayBook from RIM and the Windows tablets.

Honestly all they did was introducing Windows at the right time and set some sort of standard for an operating system. Besides that they try to gain a piece of every market they can get, but it's not profitable at the moment. Smart phone and tablet market in particular which is failing drastically for them.
    I'm not sure what you define as a smart phone or not but you seem to be not correct.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/24/i...rtphone-share/

They are corporations, they are all evil. Our perceptions may differ due to marketing spin and propaganda campaigns, but believe me when I say that none of these corporations are looking out for the consumer, the little guy like us. They (now) all have stock holders and the only thing that matters is the dividend. Period.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure what you define as a smart phone or not but you seem to be not correct.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/24/i...rtphone-share/
    Really? Really..??

Are you going to argue with me about a 0.2% difference? Also wait for Q2 numbers than I'll be right, you'll see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2 View Post
    Really? Really..??

Are you going to argue with me about a 0.2% difference? Also wait for Q2 numbers than I'll be right, you'll see.
    He was saying he didn't know why apple was on the list, my response was in reference to apple, not microsoft.