Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

[Anime] Shaman King

Well, well... Currently I'm bored and I had the brilliant idea to watch the anime to the Shaman King books as the manga series don't have a real end and I was told that the anime gives some more insight to what happens at the end of the tournament. because I really liked the story, the humour, well the whole package.

Until now.
    The anime-version is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.
    The voices are horrible, it feels like minnie mouse talks to herself for 64 episodes.
    The storyline is completely changed. There are some bitter background stories to characters (eg Chocolove, named Jacko in the anime...really?) and in the anime they just make another big joke out of it.
    They invented annoying characters to it and forgot about others.
    The names...

I really wondered how they can fit the whole story into 64 episodes, without leaving some parts off. Then I found out that they added some bullshitsidestories and left out some of the most awesome fighting scenes (eg Boris vs Ryu...)
    It is clear that I stopped right now... I'm pissed of!

How is it possible to kill of a given story and producing such a waste of time...? It is really sad..

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't read the books but the anime was okay as in 7.5/10 not as bad as you describe it really.

Deleted
    The anime is the best anime I've ever seen. You cannot be serious.

Deleted
    I totally am.
    Just look for the books. You'll have more of it.

are you watching the 4kids(I believe) dub of the series?
    or are you watching the subs?
    The 4kids dub of the series was dubbed for like 8 year old so the story, language, etc... was changed quite a bit

Deleted
    don't really know...
    it was a stream found on google, that is it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graograman View Post
    don't really know...
    it was a stream found on google, that is it.
    Are they speaking English or Japanese?

Deleted
    english ^^
    but I did not really think that they made two different versions of a whole story -.-
    and for the story, I know it, I'm just disappointed that it is so bad =(

10+ Year Old Account
    english ^^
    but I did not really think that they made two different versions of a whole story -.-
    You would be surprised how different the story and characters feel between English and Japanese versions. Most of the time, the Japanese voice acting is more convincing than the English one and I know some animes where the story has changed a lot because of regional reasons during translation (not sure if this is the case for shaman king).

So my advice to you is trying to watch it in Japanese with Eng subs and see if the story is 'different'.

Deleted
    I wouldn't say the anime was terrible but the manga is far better.
    There is a sort of ending to Shaman King called Shaman King Kang Zeng Bang I believe. Personally I think it's a bit a rushed but at least it is an ending and not left in the middle of nowhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean, your own imagination is better than they put into anime?! Shock.

The manga was fantastic. I actually subbed so Shonen Jump for YEARS just for Shaman King. (I did thoroughly read each issue, however.)

I actually still have a couple posters of Shaman King up in my room, which is shared with my boyfriend and our cat (who feels it necessary to take up more room on the bed then the both of us use.) But yeah, I wish I had brought my SJ issues with me when I moved across the country... They weight too much to carry on to the plane though. I had like, every issue that had been released for four years or so.
    Meep~

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by scvd View Post
    You mean, your own imagination is better than they put into anime?! Shock.
    really...? -.-

well if you really liked the anime, give the mangas a try, they are awesome. I started to read them again to recover from that bullshit xD

10+ Year Old Account
    english ^^
    Just a bit of advice....if you actually want to enjoy anime in it's true form always watch the subbed version with jap voices....never dub. Most of the dubbed stuff is crap. I think the only anime I have seen with english voices is dbz, cowboy bebop, and samurai champloo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
    Just a bit of advice....if you actually want to enjoy anime in it's true form always watch the subbed version with jap voices....never dub. Most of the dubbed stuff is crap. I think the only anime I have seen with english voices is dbz, cowboy bebop, and samurai champloo.
    This is an incredibly short-sighted way of thinking. Purists had a place in anime fandom 20 years ago when dubbing was incredibly average with a shallow talent pool for voice acting, these days the scene is quite different. There have been quote a few in the past few years where the dub has had better voice acting than the original.
    4Kids dubs i will agree with, because theyve always changed the subject matter almost pointlessly. But to say 'most' of the dubs in general are crap, is wrong.

watch it with subs and thank me later

10+ Year Old Account
    i acrtually never finished the series my self and came back to it recently, i did not enjoy the dubs so i just went to reading the manga.
    i thoroughly enjoyed it.

Shaman King Japanese sub calls Chocolove by his name, as well as it is conveying the minor Gay tones of Ryu an Lyserg. It is actually a very decent anime.
    And the non-Japanese dubs are borderline retarded.

Deleted
    the reason why I don't like subs in general is because I like to listen them speak, and as japanese is not a language I know, I prefr dubbed versions.

After all it is not just aout the voices, it is mainly about the story; which is wrong at some places.
    A japanese-subbed-episode wouldn't change much.

I liked the English version of the anime. Then I watched the Japanese version, puked some rainbows and realised the English version was horrible. :3 It took me a while to switch from English dubbed to English subbed anime but if you want the full anime experience, watch the sub. In time you'll get used to how the voices sound. Not to mention companies like 4Kids usually rape the soundtrack.

And if you say that the Japanese subbed version is not so different from the English version you are dead wrong. Get used to Japanese voices, watch the series in Japanese and tell me again it's not at least five times better. The switch was completely worth it to me. Take the Naruto anime for example. The sheer experience of hearing Orochimaru's voice gives me a chill down my spine. No English-speaking voice actor could ever hope to do Orochimaru's voice like the Japanese voice actor did.

Of course, in the end, there's nothing like the original (in this case the manga). Admittingly I still haven't gotten around to reading it, but still. ^^