Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I think you meant to say "Some Women" because otherwise, well, you're saying that all women think it's ok to be sexist - which ironically is in itself clearly sexist.

So I ask you: Why do YOU think it's ok for YOU to be sexist? (It's never ok to be sexist no matter what sex you are.)

It might also be instructive to read this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18280000

I note that they are talking there about FP shooters. It seems to me that MMO players are far less sexist in general. Not sure why.
    Last edited by ContentsMayVary; 2012-06-04 at 08:18 AM.

Deleted
    College age people being dumb, ignorant and naive? Colour me brown and call me a turd!

Quote Originally Posted by ContentsMayVary View Post
    I think you meant to say "Some Women" because otherwise, well, you're saying that all women think it's ok to be sexist - which ironically is in itself clearly sexist.
    I've yet to meet a woman who isn't. *Shrugs.* Grew up in a house with 5 sisters, and a single mom, and spent many a night listening to them badmouth men as they spent countless hours watching Lifetime Television For Women.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    most people generalize a month as 4 weeks.
    Yeah, but you would expect paramedics to know it's not true, right? "40 weeks" is the right answer, just like "9 months". it's not 10 even if a woman didn't know for a week or two or a month because 40 weeks are counted after the first day of the last period. Baby will come out in 9 months. If it comes later - it's overdue.

Sexism starts as early as the cradle and is highly prevalent throughout society.

Boys are dressed in blue; girls are dressed in pink. Boys are encouraged to play "war" with GI-Joes, and girls are encouraged to play "house" with Barbie dolls. You don't see toy manufacturers making GI-Jane figures very much.

Look at movies, TV, videogames, and other media. How often do you see a strong female main character? What proportion of screen time do they get? What percentage of the cast is female, and how are they portrayed? Now consider -- is this considered to be a "Girly" show? Many programs that are deemed suitable for both genders feature a very strong male cast of characters, and a token number of female ones.

Or just look at WoW. I'm not kidding. How many ACTIVE faction leaders are male, and how many are female? Or let's expand it and include major villians and side characters. What percentage are they? For guys, you have Garrosh, Thrall, Baine, Carne, Malfurion, Staghelm, Illidan, Deathwing, Arthas, Tirion Fordring, Mograine, Vol'jin, Wrynn, Graymane, Kel'thuzad, Mekkatorque, Rhonin, and Bronzebeard. For females, you have Sylvanas, Tyrande (Who isn't very active at all for a faction leader), Jaina, Aggra, and if you want to be generous, Lady Vashj and Ashzara. The lists are staggeringly different. The male characters have a much stronger "presence" than the females do overall in Wow. If you look, the same imbalance occurs in Starcraft. And that's just in two Blizzard games. How many times have you seen strong female characters in media?

Novels are sometimes just as bad. There is a sudden resurgence of female authors, but prior to the last couple of years, most of the authors were men.

Or look at the 111th Congress -- out of 100 senate members, only 17 were women. This falls far short of the roughly 50% ratio of men to women that we see biologically. Senators are hardly required to do work that would be impeded by 9 months of pregnancy.

Or as an anecdote, I've known a good number of guys in college who believe that it's the duty of the women to raise children, instead of being a joint venture, despite the creation of breast-pumps and infant formula.

Or at my current contract where I'm installing computers, I find that most offices are a bunch of women working under a male agent (not kidding). I can count the number of women agents running their own offices on one hand out of the almost 60-something offices I've done so far.

I don't know how to say this, but I'll do my best. You're not right, but you're not wrong, either. They aren't right in labeling every male as being sexist, but at the same time, they're seeing evidence of sexism in the system and structure of our society, and they're unsure as to how to approach it or how to fix it. They're trapped in the cage, but they can't identify where the door is. The hard evidence is there for their frustration, but they aren't justified in taking it out on you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersovic View Post
    I am the only male in my Sociology course. In this class I constantly hear women state that all men rape, oppress, and abuse women. They often times cite police reports of rape, spousal abuse, and sexual harassment to "support" their claim which they present as fact. While I feel that this is a bogus method for proving your point (it would be similar to arguing that all black men were violent criminals and citing gang-related shootings in the inner cities), but I never say anything because I just want my credit hours.

Well last Thursday my Professor asked the class why they thought men were generally hunters in hunter-gatherer societies. I didn't want to say anything, but she finally pointed me out and said "sorry, you are the only male, so I want to hear what you have to say." All I said was that I thought it would be hard for a woman to hunt when she was pregnant for 10 months, and it would be hard for a male to nurse babies without breast milk and pointed out that even in modern hunter-gatherer societies that it isn't uncommon for males to stay gone for days at a time while hunting, and that the babies would starve to death in this time period.

I immediately had like 5-6 girls begin calling me sexist, and the funny thing is, they are the same women who day-in and day-out spend the entire class period slandering men. When is this non-sense going to stop? I'm getting really sick and tired of women thinking it is okay for them to hate men, and labeling any male who disagrees with them as a sexist. :-(

The Left Wing calls for an end to racism.................ethnic minorities use the race card at every given opportunity.

The Left Wing calls for an end to sexism.................women use the sexist card at every given opportunity.

You can probably figure the rest of the looney Left Wing nonsical out for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    sorry but I have to say something after reading this. When were you personally oppressed? I'm pretty sure the snooty girls in his class weren't oppressed either. I'm not really sure if you were serious, but I have heard this excuse before and not just from women.
    Exactly. Just because your ancestors were oppressed, it does not give you the right to complain about their hardships which you have never faced. It's the modern day, people need to get over things.

OT: Those women are the reason why we males become sexist. I personally am not, but they make it seem pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrysis View Post

I don't know how to say this, but I'll do my best. You're not right, but you're not wrong, either. They aren't right in labeling every male as being sexist, but at the same time, they're seeing evidence of sexism in the system and structure of our society, and they're unsure as to how to approach it or how to fix it. They're trapped in the cage, but they can't identify where the door is. The hard evidence is there for their frustration, but they aren't justified in taking it out on you.
    Inequality =/= Sexism. Far, far too many people are incapable of differentiating between the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

Deleted
    Why? Basicly because they think sexism is a train that drives only into one direction, which infact makes them hypocrites.
    I'm not a sexist or anything (atleast i think so) but everytime one of these women calls me a sexist i tell her "Shut up woman" just to tick her off

15+ Year Old Account
    Hard evidence? You are taking anecdotal evidence and using it to your advantage. Do you really want to enforce a 50-50% balance everywhere, and if that doesn't currently exist, blame it all on sexism?

Senators are hardly required to do work that would be impeded by 9 months of pregnancy.
    To be honest, I don't live in the US, but I really doubt this is true.

If you look, the same imbalance occurs in Starcraft.
    ...except the whole storyline revolves around Kerrigan.

@Scrysis
    clothes + toys -yup, they are certainly marketed that way but if you have a household with babies of both sexes, they usually end up messing around with all the toys.

Tv - A lot of female characters are strong these days, it entirely depends on how you rate it. Should a strong woman be taken less seriously because she's pretty in the show? I don't think so. In game of thrones for example there are many strong and interesting women that aren't just eyecandy. Also this may sound sexist but there are plenty of women who like to behave in slutty and frivolous ways in real life, it would be pointless to only betray one side of women.

WoW - there are less faction leaders sure but you completely glossed over female villians. I don't think you have to be the end boss to count, not a month goes by without someone in my guild crying "your magic betraaaayyyyssss youuuuuu" WoW is just one game anyway, there are plenty featuring strong female leads.

Books - this is a bit of an "opinion", you may just not notice as many female authors because you don't read that type of book. Some of my favorite authors and inspirational fantasy writers are female. Also I'd like to point out here that there is no sexism towards female authors, if less females statistically write less books, then it's not because they are being oppressed in any way. Some of the most successful and filthy rich writers are female, which will now encourage more to try their hands at it.

I don't mean any offense but a lot of your points exist if you want to look for them, but a lot is down to perspective. There is just as much, if not equal sexism towards men. The problem I have with feminists is that the wikipedia definition is a person that wants equal rights for women, but in practice they want more rights than men. Also there are some things where equality just simply doesn't work, like minority hiring or token women. Being over politically correct for the sake of it annoys me the most. Silly things that don't matter like petitions to change postman to postperson.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sexim is not the reason why women are less successful in leadership/career positions. It's the lack of ambitions.
    The notion that woman's place is with children is not unfounded.
    These two facts are intertwined.
    Lack of ambitions and maternal instinct. Mother nature "decided" that thru evolution. Oddballs exist, no doubt. On both sides.

Whenever you see a woman working for a man boss - it's her choice. She wasn't forced into that position. She might have forced herself as it was an easier way (you have to work hard to be in a leading position)
    Whenever you see a woman as a boss - it's not a miracle. It's her choice, no one stood in her way, well at least in "no you can't, you are a woman" way (unless she wants to be the best sperm donor of the month). She worked her ass hard to get it. Just like most men do.

Not every man is a boss. Not every woman works for a man boss.

Some men got leadership thru heritage along with wealth. The reason why less women get that (wealthy people have daughters too) - because they lack any interest in that. They are used to easy life, shopping, being nonworking elite of the highest society. Some of them prefer to work hard from below so no one think of them as the ones I described in previous sentence. It's always a choice. Even men may lack interest in leading a father's company. They may be dumb as shit dancing their life away in night clubs, fucking dumb girls and getting smashed.

Sexism is more prevalent in women thanks to feminism. It's also more prevalent in young girls. Most women in their 30s with kids don't give a fuck about sexism and feminism. They know how the real life is. Same goes for most men in their 30s.

Deleted
    Feminism the ideology that both sexes will be equal by focusing on one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mygodman View Post
    The Left Wing calls for an end to racism.................ethnic minorities use the race card at every given opportunity.

The Left Wing calls for an end to sexism.................women use the sexist card at every given opportunity.

You can probably figure the rest of the looney Left Wing nonsical out for yourself.
    Right, and you're not doing the same by generalizing on all non-white male populations. Sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    God, Guns, Gays and Gynecology - the Republican 4G Network.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post

Sexism is more prevalent in women thanks to feminism. It's also more prevalent in young girls. Most women in their 30s with kids don't give a fuck about sexism and feminism. They know how the real life is. Same goes for most men in their 30s.
    What is feminism and what is real life?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluxwave View Post
    what about the poor white people who support so many....

o first world problems !
    You are posting on an internet forum about a MMO with people from around the world.

Don't call someone else out on 'first world problems'.

15+ Year Old Account
    In a place where hordes of squirrels roam free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersovic View Post
    I am the only male in my Sociology course. In this class I constantly hear women state that all men rape, oppress, and abuse women. They often times cite police reports of rape, spousal abuse, and sexual harassment to "support" their claim which they present as fact. While I feel that this is a bogus method for proving your point (it would be similar to arguing that all black men were violent criminals and citing gang-related shootings in the inner cities), but I never say anything because I just want my credit hours.

Well last Thursday my Professor asked the class why they thought men were generally hunters in hunter-gatherer societies. I didn't want to say anything, but she finally pointed me out and said "sorry, you are the only male, so I want to hear what you have to say." All I said was that I thought it would be hard for a woman to hunt when she was pregnant for 10 months, and it would be hard for a male to nurse babies without breast milk and pointed out that even in modern hunter-gatherer societies that it isn't uncommon for males to stay gone for days at a time while hunting, and that the babies would starve to death in this time period.

I immediately had like 5-6 girls begin calling me sexist, and the funny thing is, they are the same women who day-in and day-out spend the entire class period slandering men. When is this non-sense going to stop? I'm getting really sick and tired of women thinking it is okay for them to hate men, and labeling any male who disagrees with them as a sexist. :-(
    I've finished Sociology just now, had multiple varities of women, some came to class to bolster their intellect on society and social conditions, some came cuz they're bloody ignorant and think they are given some kind of power if they read up on stuff presented here. What your female counterparts are fairly oblivious to is the fact that they as researchers should think objectivally and be as neutral as possible while discussing social problems. Too bad they all feel so self-centered gender wise.
    They'd make bad students in trying to conduct projects, they won't pass with that mentality.

"suddenly, a wild arrogant and ignorant feminist appears!"
    Ignore them bruv, when you see reactions like those, you can be sure they are just tools, not people who actually think shit through.
    Speaking for morality in economics is like fucking for virginity.

no offense, but thats not women. that is the actual ideology taught on many campuses these days. at my college i actually had to take a class that was basically indoctrination that the white man is basically the most evil racist oppressive being on the planet. i'm not kidding, that was the class. it had a bogus textbook written by the college and it was a required course to graduate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluxwave View Post
    what about the poor white people who support so many....

o first world problems !
    I don't even know what your point is.

Quote Originally Posted by Caninese View Post
    Exactly. Just because your ancestors were oppressed, it does not give you the right to complain about their hardships which you have never faced.
    Exactly. I think it's cute how people pretend to care because most humans for some retarded reason love drama.

I'm not sexist, women belong in the kitchen. That's a fact.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2012-06-04 at 09:38 AM.