Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    High Overlord CaptainCAPLS0CK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ye Olde England
    Posts
    109

    McDonald's "On Job Evaluation"

    So I applied to a few jobs (First time employee, oh the joy), and I have an OJE with McDonald's this week. I'm just wondering - if anyone here has some wonderful and insightful knowledge - what I can expect the process to be like? I understand the basic "you work, we watch" idea of it all, but still...

    And don't you start with your burger flippin' insults!
    No no, it's meant to be spelled like that.

  2. #2
    with any corporate job you will have at least 6 hours of "instruction and safety videos" to watch before they let you near anything that has the slightest possibility of hurting you or anyone else.

    and you will probably start on the assembly area(where they put all the crap together), as opposed to counter, fries, grill, etc..
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

  3. #3
    As a Shift Manager at McDonald's I would recommend asking questions, if you are not sure how something is meant to be done, please ask, one of the most common things new hires do is listen and agree and say they understand but then we let them loose, as we have much greater things to do then 'babysit' all the time, and then we see them not grasping simple things like how to clean the lobby, or taking trash, etc. So first off make sure you understand exactly what is expected of you, if you dont, ask questions until you do.

    Second, do not be overwhelmed by the menu system, it is a lot to take in at once, just tackle it a chunk at a time, and again ask questions when you are unsure of something, that is why we, the Managers, are there. When I first got hired only two years ago, well 2 and a half, it took me a month to finally grasp everything about the McCafe drinks (Mocha, Latte, Frappe, etc.) so do not be intimidated by the menu.

    Thirdly Customers are making your paycheck possible, but they are not always right, with that said it is not our job to argue if something is not made properly or the order was taken wrong, etc. it is our job to make sure they get the food they want how they want it. Today alone during my 8 hour shift, I had to replace 5 big macs, 4 Quarter pounders, and countless McDoubles, the most I asked was what was wrong with it, so I can correct it? If you are not sure you can handle a problem get a Manager to take over the problem, it is better for us to take responsibility for a customer complaint instead of you becoming a part of the problem. Last thing in regards to customers, expect the worst, seriously everyday I get the rudest customers acting like they are so much higher and mightier then me, when they had to start somewhere too, and most of them work at just as mundane a job or even more so. We had a Cross Guard come in one day and tell me how dumb I was. But ALWAYS be nice, even to the mean ones, frowns can be changed quickly with nice attitude. Sounds cheesy I know, but it is true, I have had to grow a think skin when it comes to dealing with people working at the McDonald's I work at.

    So now I have been rambling for a while, here is the summary:
    1) If you are unsure of something, ask someone, that is why the Manager's are there.
    2) If there is a complaint, grab a Manager if it goes beyond your scope of fixing it, that is why we are there.
    3) Customers make our pay check, and they have bad days, set a goal for changing their bad days into good days with a good attitude.

    With those three things being followed, and you show a potential to grow in the store, you too could be chosen to become a Manager, the program is great, cant go into detail, but it works. Just hang in there and good luck. Anything else you need to ask ask here, or you can PM me whenever.

  4. #4
    High Overlord CaptainCAPLS0CK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ye Olde England
    Posts
    109
    Awesome. Thanks a lot, made me a bit more confident
    No no, it's meant to be spelled like that.

  5. #5
    A fascinating look into the life of a Shift Manager at McDonald.

    But this is the wonder of the internet right here, OP was looking for advice and he got it from the best person possible (:
    Alliance: Caboose | Cabooseor | Carnitine | Doc | Donut | Kerza | Loudcutter | Mehen | Murkel
    Horde: Madbeats
    Not shown: 90 BE Pally, 90 Orc DK, 90 Human Monk...

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by lordsgamer315 View Post
    snip
    Why are McD hamburgers getting smaller and smaller, while the price goes up?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravath View Post
    Why are McD hamburgers getting smaller and smaller, while the price goes up?
    They aren't getting smaller, you're just getting bigger. Maybe less McDonalds hamburgers, eh?
    Alliance: Caboose | Cabooseor | Carnitine | Doc | Donut | Kerza | Loudcutter | Mehen | Murkel
    Horde: Madbeats
    Not shown: 90 BE Pally, 90 Orc DK, 90 Human Monk...

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by lordsgamer315 View Post
    As a Shift Manager at McDonald's I would recommend asking questions, if you are not sure how something is meant to be done, please ask, one of the most common things new hires do is listen and agree and say they understand but then we let them loose, as we have much greater things to do then 'babysit' all the time, and then we see them not grasping simple things like how to clean the lobby, or taking trash, etc. So first off make sure you understand exactly what is expected of you, if you dont, ask questions until you do.

    Second, do not be overwhelmed by the menu system, it is a lot to take in at once, just tackle it a chunk at a time, and again ask questions when you are unsure of something, that is why we, the Managers, are there. When I first got hired only two years ago, well 2 and a half, it took me a month to finally grasp everything about the McCafe drinks (Mocha, Latte, Frappe, etc.) so do not be intimidated by the menu.

    Thirdly Customers are making your paycheck possible, but they are not always right, with that said it is not our job to argue if something is not made properly or the order was taken wrong, etc. it is our job to make sure they get the food they want how they want it. Today alone during my 8 hour shift, I had to replace 5 big macs, 4 Quarter pounders, and countless McDoubles, the most I asked was what was wrong with it, so I can correct it? If you are not sure you can handle a problem get a Manager to take over the problem, it is better for us to take responsibility for a customer complaint instead of you becoming a part of the problem. Last thing in regards to customers, expect the worst, seriously everyday I get the rudest customers acting like they are so much higher and mightier then me, when they had to start somewhere too, and most of them work at just as mundane a job or even more so. We had a Cross Guard come in one day and tell me how dumb I was. But ALWAYS be nice, even to the mean ones, frowns can be changed quickly with nice attitude. Sounds cheesy I know, but it is true, I have had to grow a think skin when it comes to dealing with people working at the McDonald's I work at.

    So now I have been rambling for a while, here is the summary:
    1) If you are unsure of something, ask someone, that is why the Manager's are there.
    2) If there is a complaint, grab a Manager if it goes beyond your scope of fixing it, that is why we are there.
    3) Customers make our pay check, and they have bad days, set a goal for changing their bad days into good days with a good attitude.

    With those three things being followed, and you show a potential to grow in the store, you too could be chosen to become a Manager, the program is great, cant go into detail, but it works. Just hang in there and good luck. Anything else you need to ask ask here, or you can PM me whenever.
    Brilliant! Now should I ever need to get a job at McDonalds I'll have something to refer to :-)

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by HatsHatsHats View Post
    They aren't getting smaller, you're just getting bigger. Maybe less McDonalds hamburgers, eh?
    You, well done.

  10. #10
    OP, no problem, I wish the best for ya.

    Quote Originally Posted by HatsHatsHats View Post
    A fascinating look into the life of a Shift Manager at McDonald.

    But this is the wonder of the internet right here, OP was looking for advice and he got it from the best person possible (:
    It is actually funny, I had just got home from closing my store, and had debated going to bed or checking one thread on here, and sure enough I opened firefox and there this thread was, and I just had to reply. But ya internet is an interesting place.

  11. #11
    Just my 2 cents if you know anyone who works there currently it wouldn't hurt to give them a call to see how things are run at that location.

    I wouldn't worry about it too much McDonald's are usually pretty good with training new employees.

  12. #12
    Elemental Lord Gheld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,279
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCAPLS0CK View Post
    So I applied to a few jobs (First time employee, oh the joy), and I have an OJE with McDonald's this week. I'm just wondering - if anyone here has some wonderful and insightful knowledge - what I can expect the process to be like? I understand the basic "you work, we watch" idea of it all, but still...

    And don't you start with your burger flippin' insults!
    Your post has actually raised my outlook for humanity.

    A young person taking their first job seriously instead of approaching it with an attitude of entitlement; it's beautiful and refreshing.

  13. #13
    Moderator Pendulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Treno
    Posts
    12,143
    Quote Originally Posted by herpecin View Post
    with any corporate job you will have at least 6 hours of "instruction and safety videos" to watch before they let you near anything that has the slightest possibility of hurting you or anyone else.
    In no job I've ever had have I watched a single instructional video. Ever. Unless you count Wal-Mart, and in that case they were considered "tests" you had to pass before you could start working. That took almost two days.

    General Off-topic/Fun Stuff/Diablo 3/Sports & Fitness mod(rules)------KUPO --------Sig by Elyssia------- Say hello to a world of marigolds

  14. #14
    The Patient Eothekingslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Upsala, Minnesota
    Posts
    325
    I worked at McDonald's for a couple years back in High School. It's a pretty decent job at that age especially if you have friends there. For me it was pretty much all people from school when I worked. If I were you I'd work hard to be in the grill area. Dealing with a-hole customers can suck at times. Just try as best you can to remember what goes on all the sandwiches that way you can be an assembler. It is probably the most enjoyable position there.
    "Don't Tread On Me!!!"

  15. #15
    The Patient Buckeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH.
    Posts
    203
    Working at McDonalds is absolutely awful. Not only will your managers be on mile high pedestals whilst being incompetent, your customers will cause you to lose hope for humanity, everyday. I worked there for a year and a half, this was just my experience.

  16. #16
    Herald of the Titans Beazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,818
    Damnit. . . . now I want a 10 piece McNugget and the new sweet chili sauce. I know whats for dinner tonight!

  17. #17
    Dreadlord Teroseth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Liverpool *shivers* UK *shivers more*
    Posts
    825
    With me they just invited me into the store and had a shift manager watch over me whilst I took orders. They were looking at speed, accuracy of order, customer interaction (i.e. how you greeted them, how you dealt with any problems that arose, how you managed customer expectations) and team work (did you ask for directions if you didn't know what to do? were you willing to help others if you did? that kind of thing). I can't speak for other stores, but it's likely they'll do this during one of the busier times of their week (I had mine on a Saturday afternoon, very nerve-wracking), this is just to see if you can cope with the work load.

    My advice would be to be confident and relaxed (or at least be able to act it ), don't be afraid to ask for help if you get stuck on something, and be enthusiastic even on the small jobs you'll be asked to do, like filling a mob bucket or wiping up a spillage. Nobody will expect you to do everything perfect first time of asking, so if you make a mistake, don't let it get to you, just apologise and correct it as best you can

  18. #18
    Moderator Pendulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Treno
    Posts
    12,143
    Quote Originally Posted by Teroseth View Post
    With me they just invited me into the store and had a shift manager watch over me whilst I took orders. They were looking at speed, accuracy of order, customer interaction (i.e. how you greeted them, how you dealt with any problems that arose, how you managed customer expectations) and team work (did you ask for directions if you didn't know what to do? were you willing to help others if you did? that kind of thing). I can't speak for other stores, but it's likely they'll do this during one of the busier times of their week (I had mine on a Saturday afternoon, very nerve-wracking), this is just to see if you can cope with the work load.
    On your first day? How can they judge speed and skill on your first day?

    General Off-topic/Fun Stuff/Diablo 3/Sports & Fitness mod(rules)------KUPO --------Sig by Elyssia------- Say hello to a world of marigolds

  19. #19
    Pandaren Monk Silhouette of Seraphim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Y'ha-nthlei
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    On your first day? How can they judge speed and skill on your first day?
    I believe if you don't trip over your own feet and have your face land on the griddle in the first 10 minutes you're a go.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

  20. #20
    Dreadlord Teroseth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Liverpool *shivers* UK *shivers more*
    Posts
    825
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    On your first day? How can they judge speed and skill on your first day?
    Basically, what the poster above said. As long as you don't mess up big time, and get like 80% of the orders right, it's all good. It's a mostly intuitive menu screen as well, as long as you've played a computer game or two.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •