View Poll Results: Is declawing a cat okay?

Voters
581. This poll is closed
  • Yes, I believe it is okay to declaw your cat.

185 31.84%
  • No, I believe you should keep your cat's claws intact.

396 68.16%
Page 1 of 26
... LastLast

Do you think declawing a cat is okay?

This is something that I've never really considered to be controversial, but I've seen both sides of the argument and people have always brought up good points about it. So I'm curious to see what the general consensus is here. If you have a pet cat, would you get it declawed to protect your furniture, children, or other pets? Or do you think that it's wrong to take away a natural part of its body?

What about more cosmetic modifications, like cropping a dog's ears or docking their tails short? Do you think that this is acceptable too, or is it wrong?

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not really a big uppity animal lover type. If I want to declaw my cat, it doesn't really harm him. If I want to dock my dog's ears, or dock its tail, it doesn't really hurt him. If I want to place my kitten inside of a cube so that when it grows bigger it will be cube shaped... well that's probably wrong.

But declawing and docking? Whatever. Now if it were an outdoor cat, I probably wouldn't declaw it. But if it's an indoor only cat, sure I'll declaw it. It's not harming the cat.

You'll find it pretty evenly split both ways i think, but personally... do YOU want to have the first joint of your fingers amputated off, or your ears cut down, etc?

If you ever decide to declaw a cat, it absolutely MUST remain an indoor only cat... Otherwise, you are basically signing it's death warrant, since it will no longer be able to escape potential threats by climbing a tree or a fence, or whatever is at hand... Personally, I am against declawing cats as a general principle. There are ways to prevent them from fucking up your shit in your house, so it isn't necessary. As far as docking tails and cropping ears, 100% oppose since it is purely aesthetics.

---------- Post added 2012-06-07 at 11:53 PM ----------

I generally oppose any form of mutilation of an animal.
    I can teach you how to play, but I can't fix stupid.

Deleted
    I don't think it's wrong since we have been doing pet genetic selection through millenia (dogs, cats, cows, horses and so on), so this kind of thing is not too far away from breeding specific races of pets.

If I could vote more than once, I'd vote no a million times. I've had a few cats over my life, and every single one of them have gotten out of the house for a few hours, either by accident or on purpose. Every time, I've found them up a tree because a dog/other animal/person was chasing them and they were scared. If you take away a cat's defenses, you better damn well protect them instead. If your cat dies to a dog because she can't climb a tree, you ought to feel awful about yourself. You essentially killed your cat.

For docking tails and clipping ears, I hate that as well. I love my puppy the way she is and I can't even dream of docking her tail. What is the point? To make it look better? Well how about, like the person above me said, we take off some of your height because you're too tall? Your toes since your feet are too big and it looks silly? Yeah, thought so.

I feel the same about circumcision.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyarados View Post
    I don't think it's wrong since we have been doing pet genetic selection through millenia (dogs, cats, cows, horses and so on), so this kind of thing is not too far away from breeding specific races of pets.
    This...is not how genetic selection works... It isn't even close to the same thing.
    I can teach you how to play, but I can't fix stupid.

Yes, it's ok. Their claws are annoying and no one wants to get scratched by them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it mostly depends on the sort of cat. For a strictly indoors cat it shouldn't be much of a problem, though I personally would only consider it if it was a real problem cat.

For an outdoors going cat though, I will leave you with this:

Let me first say that I am a veternarian for 10 years now.

With that being said I beg you, please, please do not declaw your cats. Please do some research. Declawing a cat is the equivalent of cuttinf off a human's first joint on each finger. How would that make you feel?
    If you need a cat without claws please adopt one as unfortunately there are already plenty.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordaen View Post
    If I could vote more than once, I'd vote no a million times. I've had a few cats over my life, and every single one of them have gotten out of the house for a few hours, either by accident or on purpose. Every time, I've found them up a tree because a dog/other animal/person was chasing them and they were scared. If you take away a cat's defenses, you better damn well protect them instead. If your cat dies to a dog because she can't climb a tree, you ought to feel awful about yourself. You essentially killed your cat.
    Yeah, if you are a horrible pet owner and can't keep your indoor cat indoors, then you probably should leave the claws in.

Over 20 years of cat ownership, my parent's cat has never gotten out of the house.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would only do it if my cat scratched people. My cousin had a cat that liked to scratch people. He would jump on your lap if you didn't pat him he would scratch you then when he was done having you pat him he would scratch you....I hated that fucking cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    Yeah, if you are a horrible pet owner and can't keep your indoor cat indoors, then you probably should leave the claws in.

Over 20 years of cat ownership, my parent's cat has never gotten out of the house.
    I like how you attack me, saying I'm a horrible owner, while I imagine you're pro-declawing? I'm not a perfect human being. Sorry, I can't be you. Since I'm not, I won't take the chance of my cat not being able to escape.

We probably have different species of cats. Mine is an American Short Hair, and is one of the best mousers in the world. She gets restless inside, regardless of how many toys I buy her or how many hours I spend with her. If she sees a bird outside the window, and she sees a door being opened, she's going to go get it. Obviously if you have a ragdoll or some other mellow cat, he probably won't care. Please, don't resort to putting me down because I can't control a cats urges. That's not really nice.

DECLAWING A CAT IS SIMILAR TO HAVING YOUR FINGERS CUT OFF WHERE THEY BEND.

Cats dont need to be declawed. You can teach them where to scratch and you can trim them easily when they get a reward. Works well with the cats i've owned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting a cat declawed is a terrible thing to do. As Alduron said, declawing is, in fact, removing the 'fingertip' up to the nearest joint. Just look at your hands and imagine what that would be like. For those who complain about cats scratching people and furniture, have you never heard of keeping the nails trimmed? I trim the nails of both of my cats; it literally takes about 30 seconds per cat. If you have toys and scratching posts and also train the cat not to get on/mess with areas you want them away from, then there won't be a problem! Lastly, don't play rough with kittens! Your hands should only be sources of comfort and affection. When you rough house with any animal, particularly with your hands, they will view your hands as play things.

My cat gently scratches me.

And I love it.

Plus I think it's wrong, but I don't know what's the big deal with being clawed by a cat that didn't do it to you to hurt you.

But then, my dog also gently bites my arm and hand. Other people treat their animals like shit or teach them no discipline and can't trust their animals like that.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Declawing is disgusting. And thankfully it isn't even legal here in Denmark, as far as I know there isn't a single vet who would do it.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I wouldn't for the reasons mentioned. I haven't had a cat in years, though. They have industrial strength urine. /stinky

I do not really agree with declawing, if your cats are clawing the hell out of your furniture you need to find a way to stop it. however, things like docking ears and cutting tails to look better? I go beyond "not agreeing" and go into "Those people should be arrested" territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordaen View Post
    Your moral argument is all nice and pretty, but it's garbage. For most cats the choice is simple: either be declawed and have a chance at life as a house pet or be dumped outside to fend for itself. As far as I'm concerned, NOT declawing a cat kills the cat.