Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    that happened to me with wow, at least that were my feelings about it, tho i'm no coming back, they screwed it hugely to me.
    i'm watching swtor, seeing whats up and all, i'm taking a time out from mmos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion View Post
    The loss of the ability to pass on loot is the loss of the ability to choose. This is communism
    Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    A year from now someone on these forums is gonna say that the (wod) launch went smoothly..... I am gonna remind that asshole of this launch, this shit is not going smoothly at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was several things for me that made me leave WoW for good.

-Guild raid time changes; guild leader changed our raid times to weekends only to suit 1-2 of his close officer friends. I told said GM to bust me down to casual because if I can't raid I simply have no reason to log on and play.

-Retarded raiders; the performance of one raider in a heroic FL's raid run made me question if said raider was able to walk upright when not playing the game. Examples; allowing melee (myself) to die to rageface on Shannox when said raider (mage) was supposed to be consistently pulling aggro off the people with rageface on them. This same raider started accusing me of not interrupting firestorm on the Alysrasor mobs, even though I had been interrupting the same ability for months before this raider even joined our guild. On Baleroc, said mage did not understand (or simply ignored) the Countdown mechanic. I was sharded as a melee and countdown connected me him and he did not stop dps'ing to come to me to break the connection and wiped us (twice). Lastly (this one still blows my mind) on Ragnaros said mage did not know his left from his right during the Splitting Blow mechanic and did not dps the adds he was assigned to. This happened four...times...in...a...row! The RL kicked him after the 4th wipe after we realized what was happening. Brought in another mage guildie to run and one-shotted it after that. Note: this mage is a scarab lord and still in this guild. This raid made me log off for several days before I was able to summon up enough fortitude to do some dailies.

-Pandas and pokemon; I'm not playing some anime game. Sorry, not gonna happen.

-Boredom; sitting in SW waiting for a dungeon to pop to get comms for gear that will not really help me to raid anymore got old REALLY quick.

-Tradechat; made me want to punch my screen and the same 12+ people who were kept spamming trade with so much crap I felt myself getting dumber and dumber the more I happened to notice it.

The ironic thing is that I was doing a heroic quest on my sage on Balmoria the other day when someone brought up the fact that they left Wow to play SWTOR and said they would NEVER go back to it again. I found myself echoing their sentiments without going into the aforementioned details in this post. Then I saw this post today and all those reasons came crashing back, just like when you are thinking about a long term ex-girlfriend; it's too easy to remember all the good points about the old relationship and MUCH to easy to forget about all the awful shit that made you break up in the first place.

LT;DR - WoW community killed it for me and Blizz is going in the wrong direction game wise and I will never go back.
    MLP Friendship Is Magic - Republic - The Harbinger
    The Madhi Legacy
    Slugfest - 55 Watchman Sentinel | Slugtrooper - 55 Gunnery Commando | Slugconsular - 55 Seer Consular | Slackfest - 55 Sharpshooter Gunslinger | Slugagent - 55 Marksmanship Sniper | Slugwarrior- 55 Annihilation Marauder | Slughunter- 55 Arsenal Mercenary | Slugsorcerer- 55 Lightning Sorcerer

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing that would come close to the stuff you are feeling is when I have played a game I liked a lot too much. Though, it does not happen as often, nowadays, since I play games in moderation just so I do not lose the experience.

Other than that, no, I have never felt that way about any game. If you're talking about people you met in games that you enjoyed playing with, then I would say yes. No game has changed enough for me to warrant the feeling of it not being what I liked to play before. Though, that is just me.

Deleted
    I always come back to Runescape once every half year. The nostalgie is strong in that one. I always give myself the goal of completing all the quests, and working towards 99 fishing. In the end I always end up forgetting to play after a week, but it's nice to come back once in a while anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, same thing happened to SWTOR for me too. I'm still subbed but when I look at the icon on my taskbar I have to turn away and I don't even know why.

---------- Post added 2012-06-04 at 11:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alextana View Post
    I always come back to Runescape once every half year. The nostalgie is strong in that one. I always give myself the goal of completing all the quests, and working towards 99 fishing. In the end I always end up forgetting to play after a week, but it's nice to come back once in a while anyway.
    That too is the same case with me. When you start a game so long ago it's hard to let go of it.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

10+ Year Old Account
    I was pretty pissed when they screwed the pooch with AoC.

Funcom has no idea how good they could have had it if they would have just continued to put money into the project instead of pulling all their devs after release to start working on The Secret World.

- Revolutionary combat system that appealed to the actionrgp and mmorpg communities alike
    - Extensive guild and social system. You could build guild cities in a instanced version of a 3 different zones. These zones were also heavily populated with resource nodes and you would/could battle other guild cities in your instance for the resources. Cities could be damaged and repaired or completely destroyed.
    - Voiced quest givers. Unfortunately was only in TorTage which was your first 20 levels, but they could have expanded it to the rest of the game. For its time, that was serious business.
    - Amazing graphics. For its time, best MMORPG graphics out there.

Those are just a few of the things the game had at launch. Within 3 months Funcom destroyed their game with poor/broken patches and broken promises. The game lives as a F2P, but I can never bring myself to play it again nor will I ever buy a Funcom title again before it proves worthy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Edit:
    @iceberg...I know what you mean about that. I'm still in limbo with it to where I don't even know how I feel. So many years invested, it's like part of me won't let it go. I'll probably take the plunge in Mists, hoping to be surprised and sucked back in. If it plays me like Cata did, I will have to walk away for good.

Same here, quite frankly after being on semi-permanent hiatus with WoW, I gotta admit I still find it hard to completely let go. Ive played a lock from day one, and a hunter from day 2 and have gone back and forth between the 2, plus leveling alts for 5+ years. Part of my nostalgia is the fun I had with my guild but I just really hated the direction the game has progressed and its making it hard for me to want to login or stay logged in when I rarely have the urge to play.

SWTOR in spite of some specific disappointments, appeals to the fun I used to have while leveling in WoW, so I will stay subbed at least until I can finish all the class stories and play most of the AC's across both factions. If nothing tangible has changed in terms of content/qol, etc., then i'll most likely move back to Rift to prepare for their new xpac. What frustrates me though is more often than not, I feel like I get stuck playing a single-player MMO. Outside of heroic quests, I rarely have interaction with anyone else in game. I've literally gone 9 levels (currently level 40) between getting in FPs and its not like I'm on a low-pop server, hell I re-rolled to a higher-pop one where some of my WoW guildies had rolled and made a copy of our guild there...only thing is I'm literally the last one still playing. Half have gone back to WoW, while a couple went over to the opposite faction...sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    I tried to find a hidden meaning within your bolded words but I couldn't.
    I'd so do the people.
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

As much as I love this game, 1.3 will make or break it for me. I have almost leveled my 3rd character to 50 and have yet to do more than 5-6 group quests and I have not done a single flashpoint besides Black Talon and Esseles across all my characters, due to being unable to find a group in a reasonable amount of time. If the population problem is fixed next patch then I'll stay, otherwise I'm gone.

To add to the discussion another game that I love but was unplayable and collected dust on my shelf was Empire: Total War. I love history and this game was everything I was looking for in a strategy game. The game was super buggy at launch and for the first 6 months after it was released (after which time it was finally patched to a playable state) I literally couldn't play for more than 15 minutes without the game crashing. Stuff like clicking on an enemy army, clicking on the ocean, clicking on an agent would all cause the game to crash to desktop. It was beyond frustrating.

---------- Post added 2012-06-04 at 12:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    I was pretty pissed when they screwed the pooch with AoC.

Funcom has no idea how good they could have had it if they would have just continued to put money into the project instead of pulling all their devs after release to start working on The Secret World.

- Revolutionary combat system that appealed to the actionrgp and mmorpg communities alike
    - Extensive guild and social system. You could build guild cities in a instanced version of a 3 different zones. These zones were also heavily populated with resource nodes and you would/could battle other guild cities in your instance for the resources. Cities could be damaged and repaired or completely destroyed.
    - Voiced quest givers. Unfortunately was only in TorTage which was your first 20 levels, but they could have expanded it to the rest of the game. For its time, that was serious business.
    - Amazing graphics. For its time, best MMORPG graphics out there.

Those are just a few of the things the game had at launch. Within 3 months Funcom destroyed their game with poor/broken patches and broken promises. The game lives as a F2P, but I can never bring myself to play it again nor will I ever buy a Funcom title again before it proves worthy.

I *loved* Age of Conan, this game still is an absolute gem that in my opinion suffered from a terrible release and never really recovered from it. The first 20 levels are still the best experience I've ever had in an MMO. I remember getting out of Tortage then all that awesomeness evaporated. Crappy quests and missing quests forcing me to grind 10-12 levels demonstrated that the game was not at all ready to be released.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was so excited for AoC when it first came out, I immediately subbed even though my old comp at the time could not handle the min. system requirements, but just the promise on a truly mature themed mmo set in the world of Hyboria was too good to pass up. Sadly it was buggy as hell and just not a fun experience and quit within a couple weeks. I only recently heard it went f2p a month or 2 ago and while waiting for D3 to come out decided to give it a shot in-between swtor maintentance...and once again, was unhappy with most of what I found...Lucky for me I wasn't impulsive and resub before I had a chance to try out the free version. Let's just say short of a complete overhaul, I won't be back.
    Last edited by Crimsonfiend76; 2012-06-04 at 07:55 PM. Reason: spelling

FFXI was the one for me. So much of it was exactly how I would like things to be. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy the gameplay.

I was a huge fan of the one character/multiple classes system, and dual classing was a good idea. I loved how we were all on the same servers, regardless of location or hardware. The graphics were pretty snazzy for a MMO of it's time.

Got some levels in and hated it. Just hated it. Everything about it, really. Movement, combat, hell, even sitting. I did not enjoy my playtime one bit.

Still, if I could design a game, it would have a loot/gear system similar to UO and a class system similar to FFXI. I just wouldn't make it handle like brick.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    Blizzard is a conglomerate that through lower sub numbers has raised revenue. They're not stupid, they're just not catering to you.
    Yes yes, I know, the sky just bonked you on the head, casuals are taking over the government, and some baddie just got a raid drop... I think you'll live.

http://darisdroppings.wordpress.com

Yep, I have this feeling, but it applies not to a single game, but to the entire MMO genre. I was tired of WoW, but when I tried SWTOR - I saw only the same old things that I were already making me bored. I'm not tired of particular skills or particular classes, or graphics, or raids - I'm tired of PATTERN, and the pattern is the same, no matter how you dress it up.

The only consolation is that WoW devs are doing something to change it up. SWTOR feels like what WoW has been years ago, but to me this isn't better, since I'm not nostalgic. This is worse, because this is what I was sick off already, years ago.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    Yep, I have this feeling, but it applies not to a single game, but to the entire MMO genre. I was tired of WoW, but when I tried SWTOR - I saw only the same old things that I were already making me bored. I'm not tired of particular skills or particular classes, or graphics, or raids - I'm tired of PATTERN, and the pattern is the same, no matter how you dress it up.

The only consolation is that WoW devs are doing something to change it up. SWTOR feels like what WoW has been years ago, but to me this isn't better, since I'm not nostalgic. This is worse, because this is what I was sick off already, years ago.
    Hehe! You should see it from my side! Building MUDs, creating all those outdated mechanics (that were sheer works of brilliance when your essentially building glorified chat rooms and need something to fill them with) Moving on to MMOs, and dealing with the fallout of all the "poor design" choices that don't translate nearly as well in a 3D setting...

That's what is really holding the genre back, IMO. Modern MMOs still use a lot of the gaming abstraction we invented to fill the void where visual aids and audio cues were unavailable to us. While I loved those mechanics back when they were required, the whole genre needs to build it's own way of doing things that doesn't so heavily rely on it's text MUD roots.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    Blizzard is a conglomerate that through lower sub numbers has raised revenue. They're not stupid, they're just not catering to you.
    Yes yes, I know, the sky just bonked you on the head, casuals are taking over the government, and some baddie just got a raid drop... I think you'll live.

http://darisdroppings.wordpress.com

10+ Year Old Account
    This'll sound pretty emotive... Moreso than is intended most likely.

I felt waves of dissapointment about being denied access to the awesome story content of seven classes I haven't played fully yet. The only thing denying me that access is my own perception of the game, but it makes me physically ill thinking about all the hundreds of hours of linear, dead and empty over-large planets I'll have to complete "bonus missions" on to keep to the levelling curve.

SWTOR's biggest enemy is its linearity and lack of alternate levelling paths. It just kills replay value and that's a shame. I probably wouldn't have kept playing indefinitely like WoW, but they probably would've got another six months of me happily subbing for the story content.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Deleted
    I LOVE SWTOR, I really do. I played alot since the release, but about one week before Diablo 3 was released I felt like running in to a wall. Levling my fifth char to max I suddenly start to wonder why I did this. I've killed almost everything the game has to offer, I runned almost every quest in game including class quests. It's the same, and it is slow and not fun anymore. Dailys are to slow, spread out and not rewarding, flashpoints take to much time.

So I took a break, tried Diablo 3, liked it for about a week and a half, before it become really booooring and a AH game more than a dungeon crawler.

So first I tried WoW (that I havnt played since release of SWTOR) but it didnt feel at all as it used to be. It felt old and horribly outdated, so I logged in to SWTOR and it felt much better, but I still found that I have nothing to do (I really dont like PvP, and have never done, in any game).

So now I am waiting for more content to SWTOR and will be happy to play it again when next content patch is released.

I get a lot of times when I start playing a rental game and think from the first levels or so, "This is going to be INCREDIBLE!" only to finish the game thinking, "Well, that went nowhere after the first level."

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    This'll sound pretty emotive... Moreso than is intended most likely.

I felt waves of dissapointment about being denied access to the awesome story content of seven classes I haven't played fully yet. The only thing denying me that access is my own perception of the game, but it makes me physically ill thinking about all the hundreds of hours of linear, dead and empty over-large planets I'll have to complete "bonus missions" on to keep to the levelling curve.

SWTOR's biggest enemy is its linearity and lack of alternate levelling paths. It just kills replay value and that's a shame. I probably wouldn't have kept playing indefinitely like WoW, but they probably would've got another six months of me happily subbing for the story content.
    Definitely. As much as some people hail the story telling of wow as incredible...and it used to be...we haven't had anything personal since Vanilla. SWTOR does bring that unique single player storytelling to the table and I honestly believe it has a place in an MMO. They tried to walk a thin line to capture an audience used to KOTOR style games, while also doing something different than standard MMOs.

I think the problem was getting stuck in that mindset. As MMO players, we did go along for the single player ride, but in the end we needed the MMO functionality. It seems that is headed our way. If they continue down both avenues equally from this point on, this game might just redeem itself.

I actually felt the same way about swtor. I enjoyed playing the game, doing ops, quests , searching for datacrons... but then my server died. There was no one on - no tool built in to make it even possible to form a FP group.
    I will not be back in 1.3 - adding the tool merging servers whatever its too late for me, unless they give me 3 months of playtime for free - because that's what i had to throw out when my server died. And I doubt they will be doing that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JackHeart View Post
    I LOVE SWTOR, I really do. I played alot since the release, but about one week before Diablo 3 was released I felt like running in to a wall. Levling my fifth char to max I suddenly start to wonder why I did this. I've killed almost everything the game has to offer, I runned almost every quest in game including class quests. It's the same, and it is slow and not fun anymore. Dailys are to slow, spread out and not rewarding, flashpoints take to much time.

So I took a break, tried Diablo 3, liked it for about a week and a half, before it become really booooring and a AH game more than a dungeon crawler.

So first I tried WoW (that I havnt played since release of SWTOR) but it didnt feel at all as it used to be. It felt old and horribly outdated, so I logged in to SWTOR and it felt much better, but I still found that I have nothing to do (I really dont like PvP, and have never done, in any game).

So now I am waiting for more content to SWTOR and will be happy to play it again when next content patch is released.

i know what you mean by old and outdated...particularly the models, char. animations/graphics, which is why i am actually looking forward to going back to rift. I played it for a couple of weeks before i subbed for swtor and enjoyed it, especially the graphics. i only quit to try out swtor and 6 months later i am still subbed, but once i run out of stories to finish or there is truly nothing else for me to do outside of pvp (which i refuse to do since wow has burned me out) i look forward to re-subbing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post

People might say that these are video games and to not take this seriously...but does anyone else just feel really sad when a game they love to play becomes unplayable/not fun anymore? All rants and flaming aside, has anyone had an experience like this with SWTOR or any other game?

Do you enjoy part of a game so much, only to be defeated by the worse sides of it? Maybe the first X levels are awesome, but then there's some dreary impossible part to the game that you could never beat that ruined your experience. Maybe you love a game, but the community literally makes you unable to participate. Maybe an MMO went F2P and changed everything you loved about it? Did something you love just click off one day, where you couldn't stand it anymore?
    Probably something we'll see a lot of if this thread kicks off, but FFXI. I seriously miss it. Looking back on it, it wasn't very breathtaking as a game... but the experience was one I'll never forget. The community molded, formed and maintained themselves into something that was just amazing. There was no trolling in general chats, no one attacking people for bad gear, no one calling anyone else newbs or bad players.

Every single damn day you'd see or hear about someone taking an inexperienced player out and spending hours getting their artifact gear with them. Completely selflessly. No payment, no trade off... just to help. The classes helped eachother, people cared about their characters... it was just an MMO Utopia that I've had to accept will NEVER happen again.

Miss it dearly.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.