Holy or Disc for Spine 10H?

Hello,

I'm working on heroic Spine on my alt 10 man group and I was wondering if I should spec into holy due to the lack of a resto shaman in our healing comp (druid, paladin and priest). Healing raid being very OP for that fight I have a feeling Sanctuary would be just as well.

I just respecced atonement last night, never really enjoyed that spec, but the mana saving was just awesome, and the 8k dps on the tendon I guess (was giving PI to somebody else).

I have done this fight easy with druid, shaman and disc on my main group where I'm ret paladin, so maybe I'm just worrying too much? Obviously we have the 20% buff, it just seems to me disc is not very good for that fight or am I worrying for nothing?
    Karuzo | Drainlife, US-Arthas
    Mistweaver Monk - armory - twitter - raider.io - twitch

personally i use disc. i tend to go oom alot faster as holy than i do disc. chances are youre going to be on dispel duty anyways so you wont be healing as much as the rdruid/pally. plus bubbles on the tanks/grips is really nice for rapture. i wouldnt go atonement though because it would be a smart heal(lowest health) instead of healing the people you need to heal(debuff)
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements

Deleted
    I used to heal it as disc with a druid and paladin. They did most of the healing while I would dps and dispell.
    PW:S is very useful to safe people with the debuff while rolling or on the third plate if it gets hard.

I think both specs could be good on that fight. But I could see a lot of overhealing if you gone holy with a pal and a druid.

I have been avoiding the dispell duty so far because our paladin had kill experience doing it, and watching logs, the glyph barely did 1% of our main run disc priest. I went Atonement mostly to help with dps on tendon, as we are teaching 4 people the fight while the 6 others are doing it on different classes so it wasn't awesome when we tried it 2 weeks ago.

For me it's most seeing the numbers done by healing raid that made me wonder about holy due to HW Sanctuary + 4pc... I'm more at ease with disc so it's just really to check with people with more experience if it's worth it.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Holy is the stronger spec when it comes to actually healing the encounter unless you have really poor gear for holy, but there is only a finite amount to heal, and disc is far more valuable in protecting health pools when the pressure hits. Due to the limited amount of healing to do, disc has actually been parsing pretty similar to holy for hps on this fight on 10.

Deleted
    I did it as disc, and when healing with a resto druid and holy paladin the debuffs should get removed very fast and I would feel the barrier during rolls and PW:S on people that drop low with the debuff and/or people that get gripped was absolutely brilliant, I did however do more HPS as holy, but it wasn't any HPS that was needed so the bubbles was really nice (I actually did most of my healing through atonement which might sound odd but shorter fight (both amal and tendons) makes this fight a lot easier to heal, IMO)
    Logs for that fight with me healing, here and here

Deleted
    I've healed it plenty with restoD/Hpala and always went disc. The only time I went holy was when our resto druid wasn't online and we went with 2x priest+1x hpala. Just attonement smite/hf amal till nuke then poh spam and nuke tendon. If grips are dealt with slow, use pws to counteract. Just focus on dispels and filling in with healing as you see fit, once you get to the 3rd plate start dumping mana via poh, so the druid/pala can just focus on plasma healing throughout the fight.

You'll get more hps as holy no doubt, but that "extra" hps will come as a result of your hpala/resto druid having higher percentages of overhealing.

Deleted
    We usually 2-heal it Hpala/Hpriest, I am the Hpriest and I'm always in charge of dispelling. We have no problem, just a bit of coordination and it's manageable. Nowadays it can be done with both disc and holy with little difference, so the best option (in my opinion) is to take the spec you are most familiar with.

If you want to stay holy, you'll have to play conservatively and manage the dispells well; covering the tanks will let you focus on the raid, saving time and mana.

Finally, if you want to heal the debuffs quickly it would be better to stay in serenity. HW:S->GH->GH works wonders for that matter, and if you really need it you can switch soon enough before the mob start exploding.

PD: what I do to avoid making other healers overheal is to stop at 50-60% of the healing needed in the debuffs, this way if they are already casting a spell on that player, it will just top it instead of overhealing.
    Last edited by mmoc3d05ee6dd7; 2012-06-04 at 06:18 PM.

Took some of advices I read in this thread, so this is our best attempt from last night:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=8995&e=9727

I was in charge of dispells, so I glyphed for it, one mistake is I didn't use my maw which probably would help a lot on that fight, and I am no longer specced atonement because it's not needed for the dps.

However one of the biggest issue I've seen, other than the fact we obviously wasted a full minute somewhere and this fight lasted way too long, was the 2nd roll phase, I had to dispell and we had to use cooldowns for blood cleanup and because of dispells all I could do was putting a barrier up.

I swapped later my glyphs to use the barrier one instead of penance, never was a fan of that glyph, but it seems like a good choice to boost the other 2 healers' healing just for that spot there since I can't heal much.

Basically what I do on the fight is spam PoH when I can to get Aegis, PoM on tank on cooldown, shield grip targets and people getting too low, trying to make sure I don't overheal and waste mana. I'm not really a fan of my HPS, but I guess it's normal since I'm not healing the searing plasma. We swapped our paladin to clearing the debuff and druid is doing most of the tank healing and it seemed to work well (like some people stated paladin were awesome to clear that).

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Deleted
    Yes, use Maw. And pack near the amalgamation tank, especially near the end of the fight.

Not sure why you wouldn't want to speed up the fight by speccing smite and dps the amalgamations. More dps = less bloods to manage and less healing to do.

I don't do it, but it might be a good idea to glyph Barrier. I think you would prevent more damage by using it on the amalgamation explosion instead of the roll (I might be wrong about this, not sure what others do). I do this and instead pre-shield before the rolls. And I AA before amalgamation explosion and spam PoH.

Shielding grip target is ~useless if the job is well done.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinn View Post
    Yes, use Maw. And pack near the amalgamation tank, especially near the end of the fight.

Not sure why you wouldn't want to speed up the fight by speccing smite and dps the amalgamations. More dps = less bloods to manage and less healing to do.

I don't do it, but it might be a good idea to glyph Barrier. I think you would prevent more damage by using it on the amalgamation explosion instead of the roll (I might be wrong about this, not sure what others do). I do this and instead pre-shield before the rolls. And I AA before amalgamation explosion and spam PoH.

Shielding grip target is ~useless if the job is well done.
    I use barrier during rolls, and i shield, during explotions the only way some one dies is if the add is at 9 stack for to long WHILE people got the dubuff and then you just need to use a PW: S on em and its no problem

Edited: Thanks for the tips everyone, we have defeated the encounter last night and I got myself a shiny new trinket.
    Last edited by Spotnick; 2012-06-12 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Obsolete and don't want to bump