10+ Year Old Account

Scribes without Herbalism

I've come back to play wow after a little break, and I've started to play my hunter again, I finally maxed out my Inscription, and was wondering what other Scribes plan on doing when MoP drops for new Herbs. My Hunter doesn't have Herbalism, but i do have a druid that does. I was thinking about taking my druid out for a few hours and collecting a bunch of herbs to help lvl inscription. that way i can skip out on the major rush of alliance that camp the first quest hub, and save a few gold in the process

So what are you plans to max out Inscription when MoP drops.

I'm stock piling Inks right now. I have a guild bank full of them. When the expansion comes out glyphs will all change so people will have to repurchase them. I'm not too concerned with the newer mats. You should be able to make a ton of money from the existing mats.

Also, you can't fly until 90..so not really worth it to take a low level character into higher zones to herb like you see people do now in Uldum(AKA bots).

10+ Year Old Account
    Farm money. It's all I do up until a new expansion...
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    My plan is to simply drop a ton of gold on it and buy what I need of the AH. Inscription is not even my main profession, but everybody knows or has heard tales of the MOUNTAIN of gold that is waiting to be cashed in on with the Darkmoon Faire trinkets, so me, like everyone else will be trying to get a bite of that pie.

Worst case scenario, I have an 85 herbalist, and I've looked at and found a half decent way to gather herbs somewhere should I really need to. I'm praying I don't have to though, I dislike farming, as it is normally a waste of my time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks. Yea i think i'm going to start stock piling ink and try to make some gold...

Quote Originally Posted by Eviljk View Post
    Thanks. Yea i think i'm going to start stock piling ink and try to make some gold...

All you really can do. And consider the phrase "money breeds money". It's very true here. If you have a small amount to spend on herbs and can do, say, 10 casts of "darkmoon card etc" then it's very unlikely you'll make a deck without buying cards. But if you spend 200k and cast it 100 times it's possible you'll make several decks. I did 43 cards last might and made 4 decks. Now none of those numbers will be a known fact until its too late to care but you see my point. The more money you start with, the more you can make.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Deleted
    I've ended up dropping inscription now, but my plans were originally just to throw gold at the auction house for mats.

I've come back to play wow after a little break, and I've started to play my hunter again, I finally maxed out my Inscription, and was wondering what other Scribes plan on doing when MoP drops for new Herbs. My Hunter doesn't have Herbalism, but i do have a druid that does. I was thinking about taking my druid out for a few hours and collecting a bunch of herbs to help lvl inscription. that way i can skip out on the major rush of alliance that camp the first quest hub, and save a few gold in the process

So what are you plans to max out Inscription when MoP drops.
    A long time back I realized it is a complete waste having gathering professions in this game. It isn't profitable when you spend most of you in game time farming ores/herbs or other mats. It took me a while to realize it mainly cause of 2 reasons. A: We didn't have to compete with these many BOTS during WTLk and B: I didn't have any gold to fall back on to invest in levelling a crafting profession.

However, I soon did the maths and realized that you basically are going to be using the same mats you would have otherwise listed on the AH anyways, so your profit margin is still very small when you farm most times. It is better to have suppliers that are active farmers who can supply you with materials while you spend your time focusing only on crafting. It has worked successfully this far and I ain't bothered too much about it in the next expansion.

So to basically answer your question, get to know your "farmers" on your realm. Work a deal with them. For example, not too long ago I levelled Alchemy and Inscription under 6000G. I had someone farm all the herbs for me and she simply mailed them to me whenever she farmed any herbs. Similarly I paid 10000G to someone that helped me level JC and Enchanting from 1-525. He farmed all the ore/mats I needed and simply crafted rings/cut gems and DE’d those rings which I used for enchanting.

Of course I had these professions already but wanted a couple of them on my new mains – Druid/Paladin respectively. I found it is also easier having JC/Enchanting on the same toon so it was not a bad investment and the best part is that I’ve made back all the gold I’ve invested levelling those 4 professions.

To be on the safe side have 2-3 suppliers down that will supply you with the mats and you don’t have to worry about the rest at all. I also have someone that regularly sends me Embersilk Cloth for 20G a stack which I flip for 5 times that prize which helps me with Tailoring. So I spend very minimal time farming any of the mats in the game. I should also mention that I don’t play the AH at all.

My Scribe is also a Alchemist. I have an alt who does Herbalism, so that's where my herbs will come from.

Throw gold at AH as usual.

My herber only comes out to get his Realm First, then goes back in the barn until next expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by sjbayguy View Post
    I'm stock piling Inks right now. I have a guild bank full of them. When the expansion comes out glyphs will all change so people will have to repurchase them. I'm not too concerned with the newer mats. You should be able to make a ton of money from the existing mats.

Also, you can't fly until 90..so not really worth it to take a low level character into higher zones to herb like you see people do now in Uldum(AKA bots).
    The vast majority of new glyphs in MoP are just renamed ones from live and if you have it on live, you will have the new one when MoP comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rackfu View Post
    The vast majority of new glyphs in MoP are just renamed ones from live and if you have it on live, you will have the new one when MoP comes out.
    This is true. I transferred my Scribe across to the MoP beta with stacks of every currently in-game glyph in his bags and personal bank, and only about 20 of those stacks became vendor trash. Almost all current glyphs that are being removed will have their item ID re-used for one of the new glyphs.

Don't get my wrong, Inscription will make you a fortune at the beginning of the xpac, but more due to the sheer number of new alts than the fact that everyone has to re-invest in buying all the new glyphs.
    Dragonslayer Hoddie - pretending to know what I'm doing!

Deleted
    All you can do really.

Deleted
    Gathering is always profitable at the beginning of an expansion. I like to have it because soemtimes it makes a change from listing auctions, which is dull as well. Its always useful not to be reliant on the ah and that should the prices go too high then Ill go and farm my own. Never know they might get their arses into gear and get rid of some bots and that will cause problems to those who rely on them.

I am busy making 20 of each type of glyph and after I have finished I will then put about 2000 inks of "ink of the sea" and "ethereal" ink in the bank. will sell the trash ones when the list becomes a bit more final.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    I am busy making 20 of each type of glyph and after I have finished I will then put about 2000 inks of "ink of the sea" and "ethereal" ink in the bank. will sell the trash ones when the list becomes a bit more final.
    You may want to wait to stockpile stacks of glyphs to make sure your efforts are not wasted. See which ones may become obsolete before crafting.

When cata hit I had a stack of 20 for most if not all glyphs and I ended up with a lot of charred glyphs http://www.wowhead.com/item=42750

I didn't feel too burned (pun not intended) because I crafted them in the wrath era when it only took 1 ink to craft instead of 3.

I don't want to steer you completely away from stockpiling either. If you remember the Glyph of Mage Armor glitch early in cata where this glyph was not able to be crafted, people who stockpiled had a very big advantage. I remember that I almost felt bad charging as much as I did for this particular glyph, but since I was the only one listing it...I really did own the market until I finally sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbs View Post
    You may want to wait to stockpile stacks of glyphs to make sure your efforts are not wasted. See which ones may become obsolete before crafting.

When cata hit I had a stack of 20 for most if not all glyphs and I ended up with a lot of charred glyphs http://www.wowhead.com/item=42750

I didn't feel too burned (pun not intended) because I crafted them in the wrath era when it only took 1 ink to craft instead of 3.

I don't want to steer you completely away from stockpiling either. If you remember the Glyph of Mage Armor glitch early in cata where this glyph was not able to be crafted, people who stockpiled had a very big advantage. I remember that I almost felt bad charging as much as I did for this particular glyph, but since I was the only one listing it...I really did own the market until I finally sold out.
    Yep, know that, it's just easier to craft them all and then try and flog the ones that will be charred. I also lost quite a few to charred glyphs at cata. I stock piled 10 of each for then and was selling them for 240g+ each. Sold pretty much all of my glyphs then. Sold some of the Mage Armor ones for 350g each. It was also then that the change was made to take 3 inks per glyph instead of 1 ink so it was lucrative from that point of view too. The big change that got me was that I stock piled a lot of adder's tongue but couldn't trade the inks for the other ones because of the switch to blackfallow inks.